Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Biz vs First Classes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by flybie
This is so helpful. I saw ticket for business class from JFK-HKG-BALI - does that mean JFK-HKG have F and J then? I am really curious what their business look like compared to first class as in just the service, or biz has flat bed too comparable to first class. I know it's nicer, but what is nicer.
mate, head to the cathay pacific website. or google it. there are countless pictures online. there are a lot of threads here debating J versus F, you can search.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So I cannot book one first one biz on one award ticket, right?
If you book f from JFK to DPS, you can fly in f from JFK to HKG and j from HKG to DPS.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Quote:

So I cannot book one first one biz on one award ticket, right?

If you book f from JFK to DPS, you can fly in f from JFK to HKG and j from HKG to DPS.
Exactly. The F award should let you book anything UP TO first class. So if there was no business class award space on the DPS flight, but there was economy award space, you should be able to confirm that as well, and possibly wait list for the business seat (though I admit I'm not an expert on AsiaMiles reward rules, I'm coming at it from a AA perspective...)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Hi I saw first & Biz class flights from LAX-HKG are CX881, CX845 and CX889. Any recommendations which one is better?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Ooh, How can I tell my flight is 777 or 747?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The cathay pacific timetable, on their website, lists aircraft scheduled for each flight.

There won't be any 747s transpacific though, they're all 777s now.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:29 pm

Hi I saw first & Biz class flights from LAX-HKG are CX881, CX845 and CX889. Any recommendations which one is better?
this isn't even correct....two of those flights #s are JFK and YVR/JFK.

Are you just trying to mess with us?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
this isn't even correct....two of those flights #s are JFK and YVR/JFK.

Are you just trying to mess with us?
Don't be a jerk! Only 888/889 have the YVR stop, and all of us understand this.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Hi, sorry for the unwelcoming comments.

The Cathay flights from LAX to HKG are 881, 883, 885 and 897. It's hard to say which is the best, -- really depends on how you like to fly, what's important to you, how you deal with jetlag, etc. Take a good look at the departure and duration times and give it some thought. That will assist you in figuring out which will work best for you.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:48 am

Does CX have business class? What's your take on biz class vs their first class?
I am really curious what their business look like compared to first class as in just the service, or biz has flat bed too comparable to first class. I know it's nicer, but what is nicer.
Originally Posted by moondog
Don't be a jerk! Only 888/889 have the YVR stop, and all of us understand this.
relax, i'm being serious. i kinda wonder if we're just being messed with.

btw, he's asking about LAX flights (I've posted above). 888/889 is obviously jfk/yvr you missed my point. cx845 is also ex-jfk and isn't close to any lax flight #s. only cx881 was lax.

anyway, maybe i'm just being an idiot. but i kinda feel like we're being messed with. someone who is sophisticated enough to navigate FT and its subpar interface can figure out how to google pictures of CX's J and F class, or visit www.cathaypacific.com, no?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:12 am

Red face

Do
Originally Posted by QRC3288
relax, i'm being serious. i kinda wonder if we're just being messed with.

btw, he's asking about LAX flights (I've posted above). 888/889 is obviously jfk/yvr you missed my point. cx845 is also ex-jfk and isn't close to any lax flight #s. only cx881 was lax.

anyway, maybe i'm just being an idiot. but i kinda feel like we're being messed with. someone who is sophisticated enough to navigate FT and its subpar interface can figure out how to google pictures of CX's J and F class, or visit www.cathaypacific.com, no?
My apologies. You are right (op is messing with us).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
If you have money/miles to burn, then IMO the CX "F" product is worthwhile because you get a bigger seat than you do in "J".

There are a few other perks, but IMO (aside from the seat) they are not worth the premium unless you are booking with AA miles (where the premium is pretty small).

You get champagne and some upgraded liquor. You get some PJ's. You get to choose your meal time. Is all of that worth a 50% premium in miles?

The service is often "meh". I just took CX806 HKG-ORD last Thursday. The FA's were blah. I got better service from the biz class attendant! Seriously. (I didn't like the F choices for meals, and asked for the biz class menu. And, they had run out of Heineken in F so I went to chase some back in biz. One of the FA's in biz started coming up to check on me! Now THAT is great service! :-) Meanwhile... ignored by the F attendants.) I think I've flown 8-10 segments in F, and have had TWO where I thought the service was noteworthy.

IMO, the biz seat is just fine. Of course, the F is better. The only reason I take it is because there seems to be better F redemption availability when I'm trying to book. Every time I need to book F, I continue to watch J, hoping to "downgrade" and save the miles. From ORD, it's something like 145K miles for J, and 220K for F.

I don't think the F is worth it unless you have miles to burn.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS gold
And if you have the BA miles to burn on CX, best to do it in the next 18 hours (by 7pm New York time) before the big BA devaluation goes into effect, where it will cost significantly more BA miles to fly CX F or J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.