Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to find CX's business class prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Hillrider- you're not going to like this.

I can actually beat your price, and on the CX website at that- EUR 1824.90 vs the 1846.90 on Amex Viaggi, with the same flights (234+691 outbound dep on 11 May, 636+233 return, dep on 18 May).

The key - search on the CX website, but do not select flexible dates. Something that I got conditioned to, while booking exCMB fares (And this is not necessarily the case for all origin points!).

So- no real way of knowing, unless you know that a)fares exist, and, b) there is availability in the required fare-class ("I" in this case). I am sure that even in this day and age, a reasonable to large amount of CX traffic is travel agent originated, hence CX's absence from the sharp end of the curve on things online..
This is strange because CX website provides the cheaper prices when you use flexible fares from Paris, but not from Milan apparently.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by brunos
This is strange because CX website provides the cheaper prices when you use flexible fares from Paris, but not from Milan apparently.
Yep..CX.com behaves very differently, depending on the country of origin...infact i think that even for the same origin point, choosing flexible vs fixed dates can show different results, depending on the destination (within the same destination country..there was a point in time when CMB->LAX would show the I class fares on a flex dates search, but a CMB->SFO search would not..despite the fares/rules/conditions being essentially the same).
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
If you walk into a travel agency in Asia, the travel agents are more likely to refer to a binder on their desk with a bunch of fare sheets (or look at PDF files such as the one above) as opposed to the GDS (unless they have them programmed in as "private fares") when you want to ask them for a fare quote.
Wow, this is so ... 1990s. All we need is hand written tickets with the red carbon copy and the picture is complete.

all the market fares ex-Canada / ex-US are distributed in the GDS
Ah, so out there CX has seen the ... present!

(except fares targeted to and viewable only to travel agents who serve certain ethnic communities).
Hmmm... this is interesting. Any idea if these "targeted" fares include J-cabin fares, and, if so, which travel agents in San Francisco (where there's a sizeable community of people originally from the Pearl River delta area and 2 daily CX flights, soon to be 3) might have access to them?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by hillrider

Hmmm... this is interesting. Any idea if these "targeted" fares include J-cabin fares, and, if so, which travel agents in San Francisco (where there's a sizeable community of people originally from the Pearl River delta area and 2 daily CX flights, soon to be 3) might have access to them?
Unfortunately, CX has no problems selling J cabin fares ex-North America at the fares they publish in the GDS, so they don't typically discount.

However they sometimes offer commission overrides of a few percent (3-5%) to the large Asian travel agents. The "discount" the travel agent may be willing to give (if they want to) is only about $50.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

However they sometimes offer commission overrides of a few percent (3-5%) to the large Asian travel agents. The "discount" the travel agent may be willing to give (if they want to) is only about $50.
Thanks for clarification: overrides are common with all carriers and are not "targeted fares", and as you mention all you might get is the agency ticketing fee waived/refunded/neutralized.

Not as interesting as the 50% lower hidden/opaque/obfuscated prices I found ex-Italy (as per my OP!)
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:55 pm

Not as interesting as the 50% lower hidden/opaque/obfuscated prices I found ex-Italy (as per my OP!)
Were the non-hidden/opaque/obfuscated fares (i.e. regular published fares) on CX's own website (and perhaps also in the GDS) artificially high?

Sometimes when an airline's publicly published fares are artificially high, it means that there may be some more reasonable "market" fares available through other sales channels (if you know where to look).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any advice on finding business class prices from South Africa, and a way to find the associated fare rules?

I am not sure if the CX website is offering the real fares.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:06 pm

Any advice on finding business class prices from South Africa, and a way to find the associated fare rules?

I am not sure if the CX website is offering the real fares.
Try www.travelstart.co.za or www.cheapflights.co.za

Note: The fares shown on those sites seem to be the close to those on the CX website.

Trying some random dates on the CX website (7May - 14May JNB-HKG RT), I get fares of about ZAR 33,000 RT (in "I" class). This is consistent with the above mentioned travel sites.

Looking in the GDS, the only fare that CX "publishes" is their "J" fare for ZAR 78,000.

My conclusion is that ZAR 33,000 is as good as you can get.

Last edited by daniellam; Apr 23, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:24 pm

Or, ZAR 48kish to JFK- which is some serious mileage earning!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. No fare rules on either, though, and CX website only has a skimpy summary of them. Sigh.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:36 am

You can get the detailed CX fare rules by going through a dummy booking, right upto the payment page. There's a link near where you click to agree to the T&Cs.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
You can get the detailed CX fare rules by going through a dummy booking, right upto the payment page. There's a link near where you click to agree to the T&Cs.
Thanks! Well hidden indeed.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Incidentally, CX does not show all fare rules (which it should), but you can hack the URL to get the additional ones. The URL ends with &CATEGORY_1=xx&CATEGORY_2=xx, where xx is the fare rule category to be displayed. You can replace each xx with an ATPCO automated rules category code below and the interface will return its content. Note that "LI" doesn't work, but if you enter a category that does not exist for that fare, you will receive a very handy "OPTION LIST" containing the categories present for that fare.

Code:
ATPCO automated rules categories

AC Accompanying travel
AO Add-ons
AP Advance purchase
AD Agent discount
BO Black out dates
CD Children discounts
CT Circle trip combinability
CO Combinability
DA Day time application
DE Deposit
EL Eligibility
EE End on end combinability
FL Flight application
GP Groups
HI Higher intermediate fare
MX Maximum stay
MN Minimum stay
OJ Open jaw combinability
OD Other discounts
PE Penalties
RU Rule application
SR Sales restriction
SE Seasonality
SO Stopovers
SU Surcharges
TE Ticket endorsement
TC Tour conductor discounts
TO Tours
TF Transfers
TR Travel restrictions
VI Visit another country
LI List all restrictions
SR Sales restriction
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:11 am

Ah! That be useful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.