Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Horrible wifi connection at Hong Kong lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum

I am sitting in The Bridge, but about to move elsewhere, as the wifi here is absolutely hopeless this morning....it keeps hanging up after about 5 minutes, worse than I have ever experienced before in here. The staff tell me that there are too many people connected, but the place doesn't seem that busy. I'm off to G16 for a change of scenery and a better connection.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:59 pm

use the HKG airport free public wifi, its faster and more reliable than the ones in the CX lounges. the wing is the worst. the QF lounge next to G16 has great wifi speeds even when the lounge is packed.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by antkleve
use the HKG airport free public wifi, its faster and more reliable than the ones in the CX lounges. the wing is the worst. the QF lounge next to G16 has great wifi speeds even when the lounge is packed.
Thanks....I usually never have any problem in the lounges (I never use The Wing by the way), but today was a complete disaster in The Bridge. I'm in G16 now and things are back to normal!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Yeah that is strange. Ever since they've put in their password the speed has been pretty good in all the lounges.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:11 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I am sitting in The Bridge, but about to move elsewhere, as the wifi here is absolutely hopeless this morning....it keeps hanging up after about 5 minutes, worse than I have ever experienced before in here. The staff tell me that there are too many people connected, but the place doesn't seem that busy. I'm off to G16 for a change of scenery and a better connection.
If you think the wi-fi is horrible, try using the printer! At least in your case the wifi was working part of the time.

Last time no one was using any of the computer and I couldn't get the printer to print anything from my own laptop or the computers at the lounge. Multiple staffs tried to help and eventually suggested I went back to the Wing to print what I needed.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
This sounds like my experience every time I am in the CX lounges.
I almost always end up tethered to the 4G connection to my phone instead. Always much faster and more stable.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Yeah that is strange. Ever since they've put in their password the speed has been pretty good in all the lounges.
That is not strange, I was just about to post a similar complain about the Wing, but I'll just suffice with a post here. WiFi has been brutal at the Wing. Constant drop connections making it almost unusable. I found I'm at much better hands and speed with Airport Free WiFi.

Another cut? Seriously CX......
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

My apologies if there is a thread already.

Has anyone been having issues with The Wing F wifi dropping off? My BB keeps disconnecting and its frustrating me.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:35 am
Original Poster

I actually started a thread last week to complain about exactly the same problem in The Bridge, and some people mentioned that they are/have been having this problem elsewhere, including The Wing.

I had the same problem you described, every few minutes the connection would go down....the lounge staff told me that it was because there were too many people connected, but the lounge was half empty at the time, so I don't believe them!

The connection was so bad that I moved to G16, where at least I stayed connected, but it was sloooooowwww...too slow to watch anything on YouTube, for example.

It seems that this is a general problem. I have never had any issues before, but last week was a total disaster, I will be back tomorrow in the lounges and I will see if things are any better.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Yeah the WiFi has been pretty bad for the last few months. Once in a while when I'm making calls on Skype or downloading a file, it will cut off. It's most noticeable with these things that require a constant connection.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:50 am

Last month I was in and out of HKG lounges often, with Wing and G16. And yes, Cathay WiFi stinks. It disconnects you after every so minutes, and even when you are connected it is bad. Once I told the agent and a few minutes later I've noticed someone rebooted the router, and after that connection was fine for 30 minutes or so, also very fast, until it bogged down again, and disconnection started to happen. Same at G16, and I ended up using Airport Free WiFi....

My guess is someone misconfigure the router to disconnect people prematurely, or simply a cheap and bad router being used....
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Just an observation that your home router connects at most 4 or 5 devices to one connection. Having a single wi-fi (even at 100Mbs) which has to handle, say, 200 simultaneous connections is inherently going to be poor.

For those of you based in HK, surely your direct mobile data is better?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Marco Polo
I always use the HKG free open wifi, seems that the bandwidth is much higher.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Just an observation that your home router connects at most 4 or 5 devices to one connection. Having a single wi-fi (even at 100Mbs) which has to handle, say, 200 simultaneous connections is inherently going to be poor.

For those of you based in HK, surely your direct mobile data is better?
Which is why IT companies have solutions for business that wants to connect hundreds of people and still offer good connections? Gosh you are way out of your league here.

Funny HKIA, with I'll imagine thousands of connections at any given time, I have never had a connection nor speed issue.

If what you are saying is true, CX is really pathetic. I really hope that is not the case..... Really, even for "200 connections" like it suggests with today's modern IT equipments available it should be child's play to set something up that is reliable and fast. Surly CX can't be this pathetic?

I'm still gonna say some careless network administrator set something wrong in the configurations that prematurely kicks people off, and didn't set his network speed policy right when he/she tries to limit each person's connection speed. Common practice in offering free internet.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
I always use the HKG free open wifi, seems that the bandwidth is much higher.
HKIA probably offers internet straight off of its backbone so it shouldn't be a surprise at all it's reliable and fast. CX is just piggy-back off of HKIA anyway, and probably something isn't set right within CX network settings either on the router side or the switch side.

This is consistent with CX's lack of any competence when it comes to anything related to IT....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.