Interesting EWR-HKG experience

Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

First, checking in. Same old story. Gate Agents rather take people from Economy line then Business Class line. Even though there are supposed to be two windows that was labeled Business Class, but the one window that is next to Economy Class window just ignored the long Business Class line, and wave people in Economy line over. So you can imagine Business Class line is slow and has a queue.

Then, saw a "new boarding policy" (or maybe just ignorant EWR crew). They call up everyone with kids to line up first!!!! I mean kids, not babies or toddlers, but also kids (some as old as 10 from what I can tell). They even scatter into the pax and pull families with kids to line up first (ahead of J), and board them first!!!! I asked is this something new, and the quick answer is "yeah". Somehow I doubt that.....

The EWR is so undertrain it's not funny. When they finally start "normal" boarding they have three lines, one line for J/elites, one line for MPC, and one line for Economy all working at same time. There are arguments immediately in MPC line when the agent asked for MPC Card as "proof", LOL

The eventful experience is in the air. First there was a disturbance in J class right in front of PEY. Took 3 FAs and a Ground staff to convince this guy to move back to his seat in PEY. This guy insists he was told if J class has seats open he can sit in it, and at first refused to go back, and it took a threat to call airport security for the guy to head back.

Second, another lady in PEY keep screaming how she's got a cramp. This went on from take off to after breakfast. She keep getting up, moaning out loud, and tell the FAs that she can't sit in PEY because it gives her cramps, and she needs to lie-down (hint hint). At first the FAs just play dumb and help her back to her seat, but she keep doing it every 30 minutes or so really bothering the whole cabin. Finally a guy got up and argue with FA to "just put her in J class", and guess what, she got her wish.... (so for those that wants a free upgrade, fake a cramp?)

Luckily I was dead tire and slept most of the way....

Last thing. For the first time the flight route is not through Beijing to Wuhan straight down to HK. It's flying around to western China, to Guangxi, then into HK. Strong winds? Avoid a storm? Anyway...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Next time I'm going to complain about the with of the J seat, so they'll move me to F (flying from JFK of course).

But that's seriously funny. But in that situation, I'd probably tell the FAs that they should force an emergency landing and tell the lady to pay for it so we can take her to the hospital for her cramps.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:55 pm

Wow, guess the cramp INSTANTANEOUSLY stopped once that lady was relocated to J Class huh....

I would not hold my breath at all in saying that to an FA in exact words if I was on the flight.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Last thing. For the first time the flight route is not through Beijing to Wuhan straight down to HK. It's flying around to western China, to Guangxi, then into HK. Strong winds? Avoid a storm? Anyway...
Could be congestion in the Beijing HK corridor. My last ORD-PVG flight took a similarly bizarre routing (via ULN), and pilot said it was due to ATC (didn't really add much to the flight time though).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

FA should have just upgraded a whole row from economy to PEY or J and let her lie flat in econ.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP

I hope seawolf is responsible for writing CX policy and procedures from here on out

CB- waiting for your first trip report on BR
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
FA should have just upgraded a whole row from economy to PEY or J and let her lie flat in econ.
Hahaha
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadp
I hope seawolf is responsible for writing CX policy and procedures from here on out

CB- waiting for your first trip report on BR
Heh heh heh, that's condition on CX really waters down DM/GO. I'm waiting....

But I just remember, BR is in JFK now no? Urgh....
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP

Yep, only JFK which means schlepping it back out to Long Island during late hours. Bummer
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
The eventful experience is in the air. First there was a disturbance in J class right in front of PEY. Took 3 FAs and a Ground staff to convince this guy to move back to his seat in PEY. This guy insists he was told if J class has seats open he can sit in it, and at first refused to go back, and it took a threat to call airport security for the guy to head back.

Second, another lady in PEY keep screaming how she's got a cramp. This went on from take off to after breakfast. She keep getting up, moaning out loud, and tell the FAs that she can't sit in PEY because it gives her cramps, and she needs to lie-down (hint hint). At first the FAs just play dumb and help her back to her seat, but she keep doing it every 30 minutes or so really bothering the whole cabin. Finally a guy got up and argue with FA to "just put her in J class", and guess what, she got her wish.... (so for those that wants a free upgrade, fake a cramp?)
1. Then how's the guy tried to sit in J before takeoff? Did he feel unwell immediately as well?

2. You are too kind... If that's me I'll call the ISM over and tell her/him that I'll write a report to CX saying the crew is suspected to bribery and caused the airline revenue loss... And failed to treat sick customer well by seeking medical opinion and landing the plane immediately...

3. I concur that FA should op-up an entire Y row (so max 3 Y passengers) and let that psychologically imbalanced lady have the entire row... And remember as she's sick better don't serve her any food and non-water drinks...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
re US ground handling, my JFK to HKG flight last Sunday was delayed 2 hours because ground staff allowed someone to board who wasn't ticketed. We all had to deplane so they could do a security sweep and have us re-board. Not impressed. They had two staff checking each borading pass and passport on the re-board. Made the connection in HKG barely, but our bags did not. (I will be asking CX for lifetime DM+ for our 12 hours of pain and suffering.)

JFK check-in staff also seemed lax on checking visas. I gave the guy my APEC card w my passport (direct connection to HCMC) and he self-importantly informed me that the APEC card had absolutely no relevance at JFK. He said the same thing about 3 different ways. I took it back, put it back in my wallet and told him I was surprised he didn't want to check that I had a visa for VN. He winced a bit, as it seemed like he did in fact need to check that but that had spoken to soon.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I would have told the cabin crew to give the lady with cramps to give her ice, and a straight vodka to knock her out. Otherwise put her flat on the first row of seats... on the floor !

CX has no back bone. They cater to all these people who bully them. Would UA do that. They will just say 'tough'. BA will take out the creditcard machine and say, sure you can sit up front, here's the difference.

SQ will say, no way.

Cathay Boy, please write in and complain.. maybe you'd get a couple of vouchers for op up yourself.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Cathay Boy, please write in and complain.. maybe you'd get a couple of vouchers for op up yourself.
seriously?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
seriously?
Probably you'll only get a template email in return
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Never hurts to try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.