Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (codeshare) flights must be operated by a oneworld or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

The thread title is also being updated to clarify its contents.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AAdvangage Plat Pro. Frontier Diamond Elite
AA Will not post miles earned on CX

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has been in this situation before. I went on a mileage run on Dec 14 with CX. My ticket was for EWR-HKG, HKG-TPE, TPE-HKG, HKG-EWR all on CX in premium econ. After the run, all of my flights posted to my aadvantage account except for the last leg of HKG-EWR, after sending in a manual request I was denied. I then called customer service and was told she put the request in for the miles and got an email confirming so. I received another email this morning saying I was denied again. The biggest issue here is that that flight posting would give me platinum status for 2018, yet here we are in the first week of 2018 and I am getting nowhere. Has anyone run into this before and have suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was the travel in an eligible booking class? What was the reason for the denial? It looks like all CX booking classes for Premium Economy are eligible for mileage accrual
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Yes, similar things happened on Labor Day weekend. See discussions on:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...issues-21.html

Basically, scan your boarding pass and first page of receipt, send them to the email AA CS provided to you, and wait. It will post eventually. PEY earns AA credits except for redemption.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AAdvangage Plat Pro. Frontier Diamond Elite
Was all booked and ticketed in Premium Economy (E) 3/4 of the flights posted with no issues, it's just the last leg (HKG-EWR) that I am having the issue with
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nelsinho
The segments have not posted yet, I called the Exec Plat desk and they sent out a request to CX. Having this miles posted is costing me 2 SWUs, but I am hoping this will get sorted out.
No luck yet in having the codeshare posted. I provided AA with the boarding passes 2 weeks ago, will call the EXP line to check on it.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by nelsinho
No luck yet in having the codeshare posted. I provided AA with the boarding passes 2 weeks ago, will call the EXP line to check on it.
Still chasing these; I called the EXP line, they put me through to the AAdvantage desk, I was told it was rejected. CSR checked images of the boarding passes and ticket, and re-requested the miles. I got an email on Tuesday re-requesting my flight documents, which I sent again. Let's see what happens this time.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
CX flights seem to post to AA about weekly. Sometimes they come through almost immediately, other times you have to wait a full week, or slightly longer.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Explore
CX flights seem to post to AA about weekly. Sometimes they come through almost immediately, other times you have to wait a full week, or slightly longer.
Every Saturday midnight - noon, central time.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Just wanted to report that my Cathay Pacific flight (premium economy-->business) using miles posted to my AA account as expected (Saturday). I had read some reports here that some had problems getting credit.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:57 am

After a bit over 2 months I finally got the miles posted to my account for the CX codeshared flights with LATAM (LA). It took a final call to the EXP desk; got an experienced agent that looked over at the travel docs I had sent and pushed it through. The miles posted immediately, and the 2 SWUs were added to the account 2 days later.

Just to clarify, the CX flights were posted to my account in just a week, the problem was with the codeshare flights that CX sold me on LA.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by smitty06
Just wanted to report that my Cathay Pacific flight (premium economy-->business) using miles posted to my AA account as expected (Saturday). I had read some reports here that some had problems getting credit.
I as well have noticed Saturday to be when these flights process. Is there any recourse if, say, I get back from HKG on Sunday and have a domestic AA flight that Friday? Can someone at customer service can expedite? It would be a case of Platinum vs. Platinum Pro so it would make a fairly substantial difference to me though only for a single flight.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:50 am

Can you earn AA miles on purchased CX tickets?

I don't often have the opportunity to fly CX , but will purchase tickets for two flying business class IAD/HKG/SYD/ & AKL/HKG/IAD. The CX miles earned by buying these tickets will be of little value to me. I'm wondering if there is a way of earning AA miles instead. I realize there might be opportunities to book AA on the CX website, but, obviously, much more flexibility on the AA site. Any ideas wpild be appreciated. Perhaps I can book the CX flights with AA??
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:56 am
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
All the info is here in regards to earning AA miles when traveling on CX:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
nightkhan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This is a question for the AA forum - moving over...

cxfan1960
CX CoMod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.