Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Priority Seating with MP Gold on One World flight using another FFP

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

I just booked an American Airlines domestic flight using my AAdvantage number. I have no status with AA, but I am One World Saphire with Marco Polo Gold.

I chose a priority seat upon seat select with the understanding the airline will reassign me if it is deemed I do not have priority or status.

Is it possible to have priority seating on AA because of my one world status even though I am using AAdvantage and not MP Gold as the FFP?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
How on earth is AA going to know that you're OWS if you don't put in your MPC Gold number?

If you don't put down your CX Gold number on your reservation, you're just a basic member as far as AA goes. And if you chose preferred seating, then you are liable to be charged for sitting there.

Why don't you just put your CX number in the reservation and change it at the gate before you board. Then you get all the privileges accorded to being a OWS member including lounge access.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
How on earth is AA going to know that you're OWS if you don't put in your MPC Gold number?

If you don't put down your CX Gold number on your reservation, you're just a basic member as far as AA goes. And if you chose preferred seating, then you are liable to be charged for sitting there.

Why don't you just put your CX number in the reservation and change it at the gate before you board. Then you get all the privileges accorded to being a OWS member including lounge access.
I don't believe I will be charged in this case. The website indicated AA would assign me another seat. However, during seat selection only Priority seats were available, so either it's included in my fare or they'll just keep me there or give me another priority seat.

I've never had a problem getting into Domestic or International oneworld Lounges with my CX Gold membership. This includes, TAM, LAN, and AA lounges. All lounges I accessed with my Marco Polo oneworld Emerald Status while flying on tickets with my AAdvantage number.

They check my boarding passes, my card, and say - yep this gives you access.. and I go in.

I'd say in the past year, I've visited 20 AA/LAN/TAM lounges this way. I have 0 Marco Polo gold points.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Originally Posted by DanTravel
All lounges I accessed with my Marco Polo oneworld Emerald Status while flying on tickets with my AAdvantage number.
if you're a MPC gold you have a saphire oneworld status ... mpc diamond members are oneworld emeralds ...fyi

oh and all seats should appear when selecting your seat on any AA flights. i just booked two domestic AA flights and all seats that are empty are available for me to select. weird that only the main cabin extra or preferred seats show up for you
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dek526
if you're a MPC gold you have a saphire oneworld status ... mpc diamond members are oneworld emeralds ...fyi

oh and all seats should appear when selecting your seat on any AA flights. i just booked two domestic AA flights and all seats that are empty are available for me to select. weird that only the main cabin extra or preferred seats show up for you
Oops - I meant Saphirre..

Only preferred/priority were available, but all seats showed up but the others were already occupied.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Put in your MPC number in the reservation.
Select seats based on your status.
Check in. Get free baggage based on status.
Ask check in agent to change your FF number just before getting BP.

Note that seating is open at T-24.

Happy wandering

Fred

Last edited by wandering_fred; Jan 29, 2015 at 5:49 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Put in your MPC number in the reservation.
Select seats based on your status.
Check in. Get free baggage based on status.
Ask check in agent to change your FF number just before getting BP.

Note that seating is open at T-24.

Happy wandering

Fred
Thanks for the advice! Free baggage? People still check bags these days? joking, but I rarely check a bag

I wonder if the agent can assign me a priority seat if I flash my MP Gold (Sapphire status) while keeping my AAdvantage number as my FFP? This way I eliminate a step (and hope a preferred sea is still available at check in time).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.