Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

First time CX F flying - any recommendations for meals, etc and 4 hour HKG layover?

First time CX F flying - any recommendations for meals, etc and 4 hour HKG layover?

Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Hi

I just booked a CX F ticket and this will be my first time flying CX.
Do you guys have any recommendations for meals or anything to look out for on the flight?
Should I reserve meals?
I generally like authentic food of any kind (I heard chinese food in CX is sort of like Panda Express though).

Also what is there to do during a rather short 4.5 hour layover in HKG?
I'm guessing the cabana Wing or whatever has to be booked right?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
You can't reserve meals (if you mean something like "book the cook" style), but you can order everything on the menu however you like. You can have both the Western and Chinese option along with breakfast if that's how hungry you are.

As for authentic food, well that's very difficult to reproduce on an airplane, but I think CX has done pretty good for plane food.

The dining section in the Wing is called the Haven in the lounge and that's both a buffet and a la carte; it's not a real restaurant in the sense that there isn't a great selection; however there is no limit on quantity you can order.

As for the Cabanas, those are first-come first-serve, so odds are there will be waitlist unless you're there first thing in the morning or you get lucky. Technically you're suppose to only use them for 90 minutes, but that's all on an honor system since it's hard to enforce it. Depending on your departure gate, you can also check out the other lounges; I prefer the Bridge.

And there is always some time to browse and shop if you're really bored.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: CX Silver
Since you have a layover for 4 hours. Maybe you can swing by PYE and pick up free gift or use the GC.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tchen811
Since you have a layover for 4 hours. Maybe you can swing by PYE and pick up free gift or use the GC.
sorry what's PYE and what free gifts are you talking about?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
sorry what's PYE and what free gifts are you talking about?
Since you are flying CX F, you will get a set of pajamas. Within the pajamas packaging, you'll find a coupon for a free gift or $500 HKD gift certificate to PYE. The free gift I believe are a set of handkerchiefs.

PYE is a clothing company which furnishes CX the pajamas.

When I flew last year with my wife, we each got one certificate. Since PYE sells mainly men's shirts, I was able to pick two using the certificates.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

oh wow that is pretty awesome.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:03 pm

actually, I am not sure where you are flying from... I believe the pajamas are only for long hauls.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:26 pm

Hi

Do you guys have any recommendations for meals or anything to look out for on the flight?
Should I reserve meals?
I generally like authentic food of any kind (I heard chinese food in CX is sort of like Panda Express though).

I found the Tonkatsu in the food court (near Burger King?) to be the best I've had outside of Japan. If you like breaded pork cutlet and a cold beer, that's my suggestion. You can wash the taste out of your mouth with champagne at the Wing, afterwords.

good luck - Jamie
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

actually, I am not sure where you are flying from... I believe the pajamas are only for long hauls.
i'm flying in from LA.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
If u want to check out the menu of what is being serve in F, click on the link First Class Menu 2015
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
You can't reserve meals (if you mean something like "book the cook" style), but you can order everything on the menu however you like. You can have both the Western and Chinese option along with breakfast if that's how hungry you are.

As for authentic food, well that's very difficult to reproduce on an airplane, but I think CX has done pretty good for plane food.
Perhaps OP should "reserve" the Chinese option by telling the crew when given the menu before take-off since there are usually more limited availability for the Chinese option than the Western option

I would rather spend the time in Wing F since this is the (first time?) OP traveling to HKG.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi

Should I reserve meals?

Remember on CX to use the call bell! If there is anything you need (drinks, bed made up, snacks) - just ring and they'll be there in 10 seconds flat.

Otherwise they may assume you don't want to be disturbed.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Can 2 people traveling together use one cabana?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by JHIN
Can 2 people traveling together use one cabana?
It's frowned up.

As for the PYE voucher, the have shops in Shanghai and Beijing, depending on where you're connecting to.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by alphaod
It's frowned up.

As for the PYE voucher, the have shops in Shanghai and Beijing, depending on where you're connecting to.
Really?! Not that the 'new' cabanas lend themselves too well to sharing -unlike the old ones, which were quite comfortable for two (completely separate shower/bath area and the lounging/rest area having space for 2).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.