Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
The new Pier First Class lounge is open as of 20 June 2015. You can see some details here:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-video-cathay-pacific-opens-new-the-pier-first-class-lounge

http://focusedflyer.com/2015/07/06/review-of-cathay-pacific-the-pier-first-class-lounge/

First class lounge menus - if you have any new menus, please post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1813204-cx-f-class-lounge-menus.html

The Pier Business Class Lounge at Hong Kong International Airport is open as of 18 June 2016. Discussion about the new Pier J lounge can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1765339-pier-j-lounge-re-opening-late-may-2016-a.html
Print Wikipost

The New Pier F Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

The New Pier F Lounge

Just wanted to share a few salient details from my recent interview with CX lounge folk (including the head of new lounge design firm StudioIlse) on what's happening with The Pier First Class and Business Class.

The Pier First Class
* Due to re-open early June
* CX confirms the teaser image from its rebranding campaign is one of The Pier's new 'nap nook' daybeds – think 'Cabana' but without the wetness. :P

* A semi-circular tended bar will be another feature
* The lounge will have what the designer describes as a 'well-being zone', but it won't be a spa as we know it (see QF SYD/MEL, BA LHR, TG BKK first lounges)
* Full story at http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...t-class-lounge

The Pier Business Class
* To close from early June (within days of The Pier F re-opening) through to early 2016
* Will adopt a very 'room-based' design
* Features relaxation room, tea room and sitting room
* Full story at http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...s-class-lounge

[Disclosure: I'm the editor of Australian Business Traveller and author of the two stories above]

Last edited by djsflynn; Jan 26, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
If The Pier J class lounge is closed, I hate to think about the effect on the other lounges....there will be a lot of warm bodies looking for a seat.

Last edited by DernierVirage; Jan 26, 2015 at 7:50 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
If The Pier J class loubge is closed, I hate to think about the effect on the other lounges....there will be a lit of warm bodies looking fir a seat.
There are many J lounges, but only two F lounges (only one now - Wing F). I think that should be OK. Pier usually has fewer visitors.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Well it''ll probably be for just a few days while they set up the new F section.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by alphaod
Well it''ll probably be for just a few days while they set up the new F section.
More than a few days - "* To close from early June (within days of The Pier F re-opening) through to early 2016"...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:12 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
A shame because The Bridge is currently my favourite lounge at HKG and once The Pier closes, I'm sure it will become much busier.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There are many J lounges, but only two F lounges (only one now - Wing F). I think that should be OK. Pier usually has fewer visitors.
I try to avoid The Pier because whenever I have dropped in (J section) it is usually too crowded for me and not particularly relaxing ! I just hate the idea of one J lounge being out of service for 6 months.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:37 pm

The Pier is one of the blander J lounges anyway in terms of food offerings and comfort, about time they make some changes to it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
A shame because The Bridge is currently my favourite lounge at HKG and once The Pier closes, I'm sure it will become much busier.
Agreed, I really like The Bridge – so much nicer than The Cabin.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
More than a few days - "* To close from early June (within days of The Pier F re-opening) through to early 2016"...
Oh my bad. I misread that as closed from early June 2016.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
I seem to remember that there was talk of plans for a new business class lounge in the 40s gate area. I cannot remember what it was discussed as being called so I can't search for it. That said, I don't recall seeing anything about it for a while so perhaps nothing is actually planned. I'm sure a fellow poster will know more up to date information than me, although in the absence of any recent discussion about it, I'd assume it won't be open before the Pier J closes.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Moscowflyer
I seem to remember that there was talk of plans for a new business class lounge in the 40s gate area. I cannot remember what it was discussed as being called so I can't search for it. That said, I don't recall seeing anything about it for a while so perhaps nothing is actually planned. I'm sure a fellow poster will know more up to date information than me, although in the absence of any recent discussion about it, I'd assume it won't be open before the Pier J closes.
That's The Bridge which has already opened. I usually find the Pier overcrowded in the evening peak hours, so I wonder where all those pax are going to go. However, I have also heard some rumours about the upcoming changes for the MPC to be implemented in June. While I wouldn't know how reliable my source is, it somewhat makes sense in reducing the number of lounge visits.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, *A Silver, Accor Diamond
Thanks for that Awesom Andy. Goodness I am out of date; there was I expecting a new lounge somewhere along the southwest pier and it's already open at the end of the shuttle train. The Bridge is actually my favourite lounge, more so than the Wing F lounge. Perhaps it will get a bit more crowded when the Pier J closes then.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
That's The Bridge which has already opened. I usually find the Pier overcrowded in the evening peak hours, so I wonder where all those pax are going to go. However, I have also heard some rumours about the upcoming changes for the MPC to be implemented in June. While I wouldn't know how reliable my source is, it somewhat makes sense in reducing the number of lounge visits.
This is what I don't understand - even when The Bridge isn't that busy, The Pier has been rammed, even in the mornings. Do people not know about The Bridge?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
This is what I don't understand - even when The Bridge isn't that busy, The Pier has been rammed, even in the mornings. Do people not know about The Bridge?
Indeed....whenever I am passing through, The Wing and The Cabin are always horribly busy, but not many people make it as far as The Bridge - or The Pier for that matter, which is understandable. G16 is also never busy in my experience, and it is my personal favourite, despite the fact that it is a bit out of date!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.