Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with CX food in J?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Can CX management please seriously take a flight with SQ? And observe and experience what F&B really is all about as a premier airline! I am amazed they haven't yet realised how far behind they are in the game.

PS I like the garlic bread...it is the highlight of J meal! (Sad but true)
I agree but we all know the good comes with the bad. As you can see from the thread mentioned by QRC3288 above, CX's move to (somewhat) mimic SQ on FFP is already causing plenty of concerns from many FTers. I mean lets say CX improves F&B experience onboard (like SQ) and decides, like SQ, to enhance F&B experience on the ground too by, like SQ, creating two separate lounges (like SQ Gold and SKL) ... can you imagine the uproar here on FT? For preview, just look at the topic of Al Mourjan vs. 'business' and 'first' class lounges in the QR forum.

It would be nice if CX would just take all the best bits of different airlines but I think we all know that's not possible. I do hope CX improves its onboard F&B experience (which would be consistent with the overall theme of better rewarding J passengers) but I wonder what's the cost to non-J passengers ...

Last edited by Rivarix; Jul 7, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by kesler.go
Was it really just my expectations? So CX really now wants the crew to serve dressings from plastic cups in First Class?
When did you receive this response from CX? I don't know about you but I would consider responding by saying thank you for your response. I appreciate that CX is looking into this. May i suggest CX hires Cho Hyun-ah to head the in-flight service dept?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
I flew SQ long haul and regional J for the first time in a decade last week and could not believe the difference in food quality compared to CX long haul and regional J. While the SQ crew continue to be a little too robotic for my liking and the SQ J seat leaves plenty to be desired, the outstanding part of the experience was the superior food offering. I knew CX J food was average but now that I have a valid point of comparison, I realize that the slop in a casserole that CX serve is completely substandard for a leading airline.

I should point out that the only reason I flew SQ on this trip was because there is simply no incentive to continue flying CX (or oneworld) once I requalify for DM. But now I’ve had a taste (pun intended) of what’s out there, there’s even less incentive to continue flying with CX after requalification.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Rivarix
When did you receive this response from CX? I don't know about you but I would consider responding by saying thank you for your response. I appreciate that CX is looking into this. May i suggest CX hires Cho Hyun-ah to head the in-flight service dept?
Oh dear... But seriously though...on a flight from BKK to HKG on F (again sorry a little off topic), I brought mango and sticky rice from the duty free in BKK with the intention of having it for dessert on the flight. (is that allowed??)

Anyway when the SP asked me if I wanted dessert, I said I have my own and showed her the small plastic container. She took it and said that she will put it in a plate for me, I just thought it was a nice gesture. Plus when it was served the coconut cream was placed in a separate dipping dish.

So I guess it really depends on the crew...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Oh dear... But seriously though...on a flight from BKK to HKG on F (again sorry a little off topic), I brought mango and sticky rice from the duty free in BKK with the intention of having it for dessert on the flight. (is that allowed??)

Anyway when the SP asked me if I wanted dessert, I said I have my own and showed her the small plastic container. She took it and said that she will put it in a plate for me, I just thought it was a nice gesture. Plus when it was served the coconut cream was placed in a separate dipping dish.

So I guess it really depends on the crew...
to be fair mate, those MNL, TPE, BKK etc. regional flights are not really what CX intends for their "F" offering (also referring to your poor catering service on your MNL F flight). It's a scam IMO CX continues to "offer" F on those segments, I think mainly their intention is to grab a little extra incremental revenue from AA and BA partners booking award tickets through to final destinations. Those AA guys obviously care most about the long-haul sector, so even while they might whinge on FT about losing F to BKK or MNL, they'll still redeem their next annual holiday on CX F regardless what CX did to this year's MNL sector, because F on the New York - HKG sector is what really matters. CX clearly has no intention of protecting F on those regional flights - meaning they'll swap away metal on those flights whenever it suits them. It's basically CX scamming back the AA/BA/etc partner customers who are going to keep burning their partner awards on CX regardless if CX swaps their 77W to TPE for A333. Their (successful, if not highly annoying) logic has been, "you won't really care that much in the grand scheme of things."

My assumption above is that very, very few HK-based travelers buy those F tickets with cash. More than a few HKG-based folks come to mind who purchase cash F fares to New York, San Francisco and London, and yet happily fly Y and J class regionally. The argument for a HK-based traveler - no matter how wealthy - to insist on regional F is silly, given the horrible lack of frequencies (compared to Y and J offerings) and the routine equipment swaps even when "F" is sold. And flying private is truly a gouge in the eye to a place like TPE or BKK, because the # of frequencies ex-HKG (and the convenience of HKG) are so great that you really aren't getting that much more flexibility by going private, and are paying a massive premium to do so.

On "protected" F flights - aka, every long-haul F and the Japan F flights, CX catering is good enough IMO. I have limited experience with SQ F (but growing!!), but on my first pass I actually preferred CX's Chinese offerings. I have another one coming up and will try this "book the cook" thing.

Back to the J section, what it sounds to me like is I need to fly SQ J regionally more. I certainly respect what some of the posters have said based on their history on here, and I think if the situation calls for regional J - especially on my SIN flights, which are at least 4-6x annually - I should hit up SQ. Plus you can guarantee the hard product you're getting with 3x daily long-haul metal (2x 77W and 1x daily A380 at regular schedule), as well as a few other regional metal mixed in (772 and A333). When I fly SQ regionally ex HKG it seems like the equipment is very predictable.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:55 pm

Manila has been consistent with at least 1 F (CX900/901 or CX906/907) flight a day, sometimes they add another one in the afternoon (CX903/902 or CX935/934). Mostly I guess are for passengers traveling from Europe or NA on F, its also nice for MPC members because theres a huge chance that the flight is oversold hence you get free opups to F. Its not really much IMO, food is pretty much the same with J, but at least you get better service (technically).

In the end I think the quality and taste of the food aside (I've had good F on a MNL-HKG once with a lobster appetizer), it really boils down to the crew if they will go the extra mile, on the BKK sector it was 6/6, MNL was 3/6, so they can't claim that they are busy.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
to be fair mate, those MNL, TPE, BKK etc. regional flights are not really what CX intends for their "F" offering (also referring to your poor catering service on your MNL F flight). It's a scam IMO CX continues to "offer" F on those segments, I think mainly their intention is to grab a little extra incremental revenue from AA and BA partners booking award tickets through to final destinations. Those AA guys obviously care most about the long-haul sector, so even while they might whinge on FT about losing F to BKK or MNL, they'll still redeem their next annual holiday on CX F regardless what CX did to this year's MNL sector, because F on the New York - HKG sector is what really matters. CX clearly has no intention of protecting F on those regional flights - meaning they'll swap away metal on those flights whenever it suits them. It's basically CX scamming back the AA/BA/etc partner customers who are going to keep burning their partner awards on CX regardless if CX swaps their 77W to TPE for A333. Their (successful, if not highly annoying) logic has been, "you won't really care that much in the grand scheme of things."

My assumption above is that very, very few HK-based travelers buy those F tickets with cash. More than a few HKG-based folks come to mind who purchase cash F fares to New York, San Francisco and London, and yet happily fly Y and J class regionally. The argument for a HK-based traveler - no matter how wealthy - to insist on regional F is silly, given the horrible lack of frequencies (compared to Y and J offerings) and the routine equipment swaps even when "F" is sold. And flying private is truly a gouge in the eye to a place like TPE or BKK, because the # of frequencies ex-HKG (and the convenience of HKG) are so great that you really aren't getting that much more flexibility by going private, and are paying a massive premium to do so.

On "protected" F flights - aka, every long-haul F and the Japan F flights, CX catering is good enough IMO. I have limited experience with SQ F (but growing!!), but on my first pass I actually preferred CX's Chinese offerings. I have another one coming up and will try this "book the cook" thing.

Back to the J section, what it sounds to me like is I need to fly SQ J regionally more. I certainly respect what some of the posters have said based on their history on here, and I think if the situation calls for regional J - especially on my SIN flights, which are at least 4-6x annually - I should hit up SQ. Plus you can guarantee the hard product you're getting with 3x daily long-haul metal (2x 77W and 1x daily A380 at regular schedule), as well as a few other regional metal mixed in (772 and A333). When I fly SQ regionally ex HKG it seems like the equipment is very predictable.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Just saw a photo of an SQ 380 being serviced by a CX Catering van...if food are coming from the same kitchen....how can one be good, and the other bad?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:25 am

Over the years I think CX has been fairly consistent in F&B in J and F. Personally they are scarily consistent it is terribly tedious. Good thing is you know what to expect but rather unfortunately it has never really been top notch. I do hope they are doing something about it.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:52 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Just saw a photo of an SQ 380 being serviced by a CX Catering van...if food are coming from the same kitchen....how can one be good, and the other bad?
It also depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:40 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
[QUOTE=Justinroundtheworld;25080718]
Originally Posted by zhaobao

They do listen to feedback. The problem is the people they talk to are die hard Diamond, Gold CX people. They concur whatever crap CX does
No.

For those of us who have top tier status with CX and with another carrier in Star Alliance for instance, they do listen, as we have a choice and I always point this out.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:21 pm

Had the good fortune to travel in F transpac last week. Tried the lobster (it was "out" the last time I was in F). That it was available this time was not my good fortune---rubbery and tasteless bright red lumps.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

My first cx j ME mid-haul. Dxb-hkg. Meal1: food was... Soso. At least it was hot. Chicken in black bean scallion and ginger sauce or some sort of that. The chicken was diced w a course outterskin. Dry meat. Amazing (then i dozed off)
Breakfast was a tray full of freezing cold food: bun, sweet pastry, oatmeal and fruits. Couldnt take any of that.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
Breakfast was a tray full of freezing cold food: bun, sweet pastry, oatmeal and fruits. Couldnt take any of that.
That's it? No congee (or even those funny looking sausages) for breakfast? Was this on CX746?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:43 pm

There's been some improvement last June for Breakfast exMNL when they served Beef Tapa and Garlic Rice....they changed back to dimsum for July...I know CX is a Hong Kong Based airline but they should stop asking MNL to try making dim sum because it just doesn't taste good. Most of the dimsum exMNL look like those sold from food carts at a local mall. When they do a Filipino breakfast it's normally tasty...and of course works well with the fresh Mango Juice.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:04 pm

There's been some improvement last June for Breakfast exMNL when they served Beef Tapa and Garlic Rice....they changed back to dimsum for July...I know CX is a Hong Kong Based airline but they should stop asking MNL to try making dim sum because it just doesn't taste good. Most of the dimsum exMNL look like those sold from food carts at a local mall. When they do a Filipino breakfast it's normally tasty...and of course works well with the fresh Mango Juice.
I'd prefer them to have something native as a second option.

For Philippine flights - Something like a Beef Tapa or Daing (local fish) for breakfast, Adobo (chicken in vinegar and soy sauce) or something like Mechado (beef stew) for lunch or dinner

For KUL flights - Beef Rendang or some other native dish for lunch or dinner

And so forth.

And for the Western breakfast option - It's the same eggs over and over again. Whether its sausage or bacon on the side, it's the same thing and its getting pretty bad. Some pancakes, french toast or something different from the usual eggs would be nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.