What's going on with CX food in J?

Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Why arent people flying w someone else that cx hasnt fixed a bit of their offerings. Jl to the east, me3 to the west. Just flying down under i might need to fly cx.

Thinking what i said, frequency cx offers would beat the crap they serve onboard. Suck it up guys. Make the transit or just eat the crap they serve
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:56 am

Hi All, while we talking about the J Food, wondering anyone have experience of Child Meal in J class? my 4 years old is a picky eater, so just wonder does J class child meal look the same as Y (i.e. pasta with tomato sauce) or it's a little different?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
You should have tried the bangus adobo with garlic fried rice...it was good. one of the better breakfast offered by CX exMNL. What I noticed is that they no longer offer jams with the croissant...which was weird because my HKG-TPE, they were still offering them.

Originally Posted by craig44485
Just flew MNL HKG SFO in J. MNL HKG breakfast was creamy mushroom omelette, chicken sausage, potatoes, and roasted tomato. It was tasteless. HKG SFO lunch I had the beef tenderloin, it was a little over cooked and chewy. Overall somewhat disappointed with the meals, especially when compared to my most recent SQ J trips.

Since when do you now have to request things like salt, pepper, and ketchup? I seemed to remember meals being served with salt and pepper shakers on the tray. Both flights this time I had to request, and the FA needed to go to the galley to get them, and, they came in little containers, not shakers. I do like the pink Himalayan salt though. Just feel one should not have to ask for things that simple.

FWIW, the burger was served with a mini bottle ketchup. The ice cream was rock hard.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I don't see any love in this thread for Maggie Beer burnt fig and caramel ice cream! Seriously, as long as they keep serving that in J on flights out of Australia, I can forgive them for just about anything.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...g-kong-flights

"Cathay Pacific also features a number of South Australian products on board including a Jurlique skincare range in the business class amenity kits, Maggie Beer ice cream and both Dandelion Vineyards and D’Arenburg wines."
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I was pleasantly surprised to find Royal Milk Tea and three types of icecream served on my last HKG-LAX flight....
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573
There's definitely been a decline in catering. I go back and forth every 6 weeks. I know the menus by heart now. I try to eat as much as I can on the ground and not eat that much inflight.

BKK used to have decent catering. Lately, crap!

I didn't think anything can be as bad. I recently took a flight in J on BA from LAX to LHR. It makes CX's inflight catering pretty darn good. With CX, you can choose the cheese plate and the dessert. BA, pick the dessert or the cheese plate.

Nuts are served in packets as opposed to a nut bowl with CX.

Breakfast on BA. Fruits, a scone, and a bacon sandwich. CX at least you get a full breakfast.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:48 pm

Last year the food in CX regional was still acceptable but this year in my 3 flights HKG -Kul, HCM and SIN the food quality has gone down the drain. The oil on the food taste reused.. not fresh. SQ still maintained the quality on their regional flights.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWP, *G, IHG Spire, HH Diam., McD FF Plat.
What's the deal with "supper"?

Hi All,
Thought I'd share some observations based on J trips in Nov and Aug. Both were US West coast to SEA.

The good news is that the overall choices/quality/taste of the food seems to have improved a bit, esp. on regional sectors (eg. SIN-HKG). And the nuts are back! was served nuts on all sectors.

I noticed a big difference between two early am long haul flights across the pacific. The first over the summer had an excellent selection of 3 hot mains (Prawns/scallops, Steak, Chicken). Thankfully, no pot pie, which I absolutely despise. This was a proper dinner despite it being a "supper time" flight. I would rate the food as B+. However, my more recent flight a few weeks ago had a single pork dish and a beef pot pie. A soup/salad was offered as a quick meal. That's it. I would rate the food offerings as D. The food was similar to what prompted my original post about a year ago.

I suspect I just encountered normal variations in their menu and got lucky on one flight. But it's worth asking the following:

1) Does CX have a summer vs. winter menu, with the latter being more sparse?

2) Is there a way to pre-order a seafood or chicken meal? I checked the website and the closest choice was a no-beef option (I must add I was impressed by the number of overall specialized options).

I've flown QR, CX, JL and AA long haul J this year and I would rank CX last in terms of food. They're food has improved a bit but so have the others. Still, CX is a solid ride overall.

Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Gemba
I noticed a big difference between two early am long haul flights across the pacific. The first over the summer had an excellent selection of 3 hot mains (Prawns/scallops, Steak, Chicken). Thankfully, no pot pie, which I absolutely despise. This was a proper dinner despite it being a "supper time" flight. I would rate the food as B+. However, my more recent flight a few weeks ago had a single pork dish and a beef pot pie.
Can I confirm both flights are from the same US West Coast port? I think the port involved may have something to do with it (though for "supper" I will be expecting the latter).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWP, *G, IHG Spire, HH Diam., McD FF Plat.
Originally Posted by percysmith
Can I confirm both flights are from the same US West Coast port? I think the port involved may have something to do with it (though for "supper" I will be expecting the latter).
yes, SFO. I fully expected the meager supper menu during my summer flight and was pleasantly surprised to see more solid offerings.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting to note that the departure time for CX873 changes by almost 2 hours between summer and winter. It departs at 23:10 in the winter and 01:00 in the summer. This is unlikely, but perhaps a 23:10 departure would entail a more complete dinner service?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
Interesting to note that the departure time for CX873 changes by almost 2 hours between summer and winter. It departs at 23:10 in the winter and 01:00 in the summer. This is unlikely, but perhaps a 23:10 departure would entail a more complete dinner service?
Nope. I just flew back on 873 3 weeks ago. It is still the supper menu with those horrible dips and 'seasonal fresh berries' as desserts!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hmm...... Am soon to take a number of flights with CX. This will be the first time in many years that I have used them, and so ahead of my trip I've been frequenting this section of the forum much more than in the past.

For every report I see of improvement in CX food choices/quality, there seems to be another saying it remains pretty poor..... My itinerary doesn't involve the US, but it sounds like I shouldn't expect anything special from the J class menu regardless of route.

Will be able to judge for myself of course. And in any event, inflight meals are always less important to me than overall comfort, so I tend to manage my expectations accordingly.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:21 am

Awful J food on HKG-JFK

I just flew HKG-JFK in J. The food was downright awful, awful, awful.

There was a supposed chef specialty of szechuan prawn which was hard and tough. It came with overcooked broccoli that was so emaciated that when you touch the florets they completely disintegrated like wilting petals off a flower.

The second meal was halibut in tomato sauce which was cooked as if the chef had forgotten to season.

Also some braised duck rice that looked like some hastily microwaved stale dish.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Flying frequently in CX J, and as recently as ten days ago, food and wines are mediocre, tasteless and cheap. Wherever food is loaded, there is no way CX can offer exciting and good food with a very limited budget invested in F&B.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.