Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with CX food in J?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by kesler.go
But isn't SQ using Cathay Pacific Catering in HK? Why is their food better?
Quite clearly those are lousy excuses from CX. Caterers don't just make a couple of same menus and supply all airliners. They of course can customise according to needs. CX is cheap in F&B in J. End of.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Justinroundtheworld
Quite clearly those are lousy excuses from CX. Caterers don't just make a couple of same menus and supply all airliners. They of course can customise according to needs. CX is cheap in F&B in J. End of.
That's actually why I'm wondering why SQ food is better than CX. I'm sure the catering department is managed like a different company and maybe SQ is paying more, but Cathay Pacific should be ashamed that a competitor using their own catering company has better food than them.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kesler.go
That's actually why I'm wondering why SQ food is better than CX. I'm sure the catering department is managed like a different company and maybe SQ is paying more, but Cathay Pacific should be ashamed that a competitor using their own catering company has better food than them.
Ashamed? That's probably not a word in CX's dictionary.

They just want to cut costs and be cheap.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Originally Posted by jasjasper
I certainly did not have that last week on my CX251... my lamb chops were drenched in its own fat and the risotto was hard! i actually sent it back and asked for the chinese main course instead
There are definitely consistency issues. I was on CX253 last week. Although I did get first pick :P My mom had a bad and fatty cut as well but she's sitting behind me, and left half of it untouched. On the return, the Haut Medoc tasted fine with the first 2 sips, then after that it just went ugh.

Originally Posted by KACommuter
CX catering standards in J are borderline bad. On a recent DOH/HKG flight the continental breakfast served before arrival consisted of:
- fruit (why are the melons always rock hard?)
- gloopy bircher muesli
- one sad-looking danish pastry (very heavy)
- choice of croissant and/or muffins served by the cabin crew

I know it's not a like-for-like comparison, but it's bad when I prefer the Y meal on another airline over the J meal on CX!
I agree with your melon observations. (and a lot of fruits really, except the red grapes, they were REALLY sweet!) But really... no breakfast mains are just sad.. and I thought I was getting some soggy mess when I got my apple pancakes... Should've just stuck with the congee.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
One LHR anecdote vs many N.A. ones

I recently flew to LHR on CX, a nice change of pace from my usual pattern of countless N.A. longhaul flights. Thought I'd share.

I found myself "pleasantly" surprised at what I considered an upgrade (or at least change of pace) to the flight experience va N.A which I am intimately familiar with! For example:

*Two full meals (I was on CX257). Breakfast and lunch. Typically, even on a daytime NA sector, the first meal is "full"(in the case of dinners, for example, drink service with nuts, appetizer, main cart bread, more drinks, cheese/fruit, and then cake) whereas the second service is missing an element or two, like cake or complete cheese offering etc. Lunch (second meal) on cx257 included everything including the proper cheese and cake service.

*true, breakfast to lhr was NOT as robust as an ex-NA redeye. A typical ex-NA redeye has the most robust breakfast offering of any J class IME (but those flights also have a limited aka disappointing supper service). fwiw, breakfast contents ex NA on a redeye is virtually identical to an intra-Asia morning F flight (to TPE, Japan, etc).

To LHR, I specifically noted the lack of cereal, which I have seen many European travelers mention in this forum and until now I hadn't seen in person. I see what you guys are saying. That said, I had filled up on a lovely poached egg in the Pier and didn't eat breakfast!

*4 snack options on my flight instead of the 3 I'm familiar with to/from NA (options last week on cx257 were dumpling noodle soup, hamburger with katchup on the side, British teatime snacks/stuff I'm not familiar with but seemed robust, and ice cream...to/from NA lately, I haven't seen the British tea snacks offered, just the other three).

*a shorter flight time by as much as 3+ hours, yet what appears to be a very similar menu LHR vs North America. In short, you're getting more bang for your buck to London (not to mention the ticket prices i paid were a lot more affordable!).

*I continue to throw away the disgusting (IMO) salad dressing CX services on your tray (that pre mixed strange substance in the plastic container) in favor of the olive oil/balsamic glass jars they have with the bread basket. I really hope those don't go away, and I certainly recommend everyone do the same. It's far better salad dressing. Just mix up the glass jar and use that as your dressing. blBecause the dressing from the HK supplier is absolutely disgusting and is on every J flight I've had for quite some time, whether regional, mid haul or long haul.

Fwiw, I had the Chinese main for lunch which was quite fine. Not five star dining but I appreciate attempts at acceptable Chinese food. One of the Western dishes looked abhorrent. No this isn't Emirates, but I'm still usually able to get something I can fill up on, particularly as a Diamond. If I wasn't DM and couldn't guaranteed get a burger, or my main, etc., I would probably own a much more negative view.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:14 am

Interesting - thanks for sharing. Let's see what you think of SQ's new J LHR-SIN trip report.

It's out of the league, one of the best in class for sure, which CX isn't even in the race or anywhere close to the race. That is F class quality in my opinion.

(PS. The seat might be comfy but it looks like a monster! I love the fact that Air France made La Premiere seat a seat, as if you're sitting at home. The SQ one looks eugh I'm inside a metal box)

Last edited by Justinroundtheworld; Jul 23, 2015 at 10:25 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I recently flew to LHR on CX, a nice change of pace from my usual pattern of countless N.A. longhaul flights. Thought I'd share.

I found myself "pleasantly" surprised at what I considered an upgrade (or at least change of pace) to the flight experience va N.A which I am intimately familiar with! For example:

*Two full meals (I was on CX257). Breakfast and lunch. Typically, even on a daytime NA sector, the first meal is "full"(in the case of dinners, for example, drink service with nuts, appetizer, main cart bread, more drinks, cheese/fruit, and then cake) whereas the second service is missing an element or two, like cake or complete cheese offering etc. Lunch (second meal) on cx257 included everything including the proper cheese and cake service.

*true, breakfast to lhr was NOT as robust as an ex-NA redeye. A typical ex-NA redeye has the most robust breakfast offering of any J class IME (but those flights also have a limited aka disappointing supper service). fwiw, breakfast contents ex NA on a redeye is virtually identical to an intra-Asia morning F flight (to TPE, Japan, etc).

To LHR, I specifically noted the lack of cereal, which I have seen many European travelers mention in this forum and until now I hadn't seen in person. I see what you guys are saying. That said, I had filled up on a lovely poached egg in the Pier and didn't eat breakfast!

*4 snack options on my flight instead of the 3 I'm familiar with to/from NA (options last week on cx257 were dumpling noodle soup, hamburger with katchup on the side, British teatime snacks/stuff I'm not familiar with but seemed robust, and ice cream...to/from NA lately, I haven't seen the British tea snacks offered, just the other three).
Thanks for the detailed report though I don't see how your LHR service is differ from the daytime ex-HKG NA departure. I did LAX last month (CX884) they had the same two full meal service but just in reverse order: full lunch after take off + full breakfast prior to arrival. Snacks have 4 to choose if I remember correctly: the beefburger, the usual Chinese noodles, afternoon tea set (scones + sandwiches) and the ice cream.

Perhaps you often take ex-HKG late night departure to NA that's why you had this pleasant surprise?

P.S. Am I the only one finding those 'savoury dips + seasonal fresh berries with rose syrup' on the supper menu a complete joke? They have been on the menu on every single flight with late night departure forever!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I did LAX last month (CX884) they had the same two full meal service but just in reverse order: full lunch after take off + full breakfast prior to arrival. Snacks have 4 to choose if I remember correctly: the beefburger, the usual Chinese noodles, afternoon tea set (scones + sandwiches) and the ice cream.
CX has afternoon tea set on that flight?? I've never seen it on any of my CX flight to/from US. I think this qualifies as an improvement.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
*I continue to throw away the disgusting (IMO) salad dressing CX services on your tray (that pre mixed strange substance in the plastic container) in favor of the olive oil/balsamic glass jars they have with the bread basket.
Good to know I'm not the only one that does that.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rivarix
CX has afternoon tea set on that flight?? I've never seen it on any of my CX flight to/from US. I think this qualifies as an improvement.

Good to know I'm not the only one that does that.
i think i've never used it. it looked terrible.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Tacking onto QRC3288, when I was on CX253 two weeks ago, I also had 2 full meals of Lunch and Dinner (all courses including cheese/dessert - tasted ok, and a good french red), which is very different from some other LHR choices like the midnight flights serving express supper and breakfast.

BTW the afternoon tea is like this: (scone is warmed, and the fruit tart is good. The other two.. not so much)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by jasjasper
I certainly did not have that last week on my CX251... my lamb chops were drenched in its own fat and the risotto was hard! i actually sent it back and asked for the chinese main course instead
Concur with this. Had the same lamb chops recently that were average at best. Risotto was inedible but fortunately it was supper and I was exhausted anyway. Love CX but their J food is average at best and needs some work.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:17 am

So since I was on the 1240 flight from HGK to ROM on Fri morning I got to try the crissini and dip. After hearing the bad reviews about it, I was expecting the worst, but I actually liked it. The babagonoush was smokey and I liked the roasted capsicum one the best. Pity there wasn't more crissini.

That said from Syd to HGK the prawn wonton noodle soup lacked flavour. I had to drown it in chili sauce and the noodles was like eating paper. I saw another pax complaining, though not sure why, and ended up getting a bowl of 2 min noodles.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by purtybirdy
So since I was on the 1240 flight from HGK to ROM on Fri morning I got to try the crissini and dip. After hearing the bad reviews about it, I was expecting the worst, but I actually liked it. The babagonoush was smokey and I liked the roasted capsicum one the best. Pity there wasn't more crissini.
It's all relative depending on one's palate and experience (on other airlines). I cannot speak for others but my issue with CX babagonoush was that ... well ... I was comparing it with what's being served on QR (which probably isn't really fair since QR is a ME airlines and we're talking about ME food). Pictures below should speak for themselves.

Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
It's all relative depending on one's palate and experience (on other airlines). I cannot speak for others but my issue with CX babagonoush was that ... well ... I was comparing it with what's being served on QR (which probably isn't really fair since QR is a ME airlines and we're talking about ME food). Pictures below should speak for themselves.

hey! the CX's version is more cleaner! (reminds me of the story on how fishfingers are made and kids in the UK doesnt know what fishes are)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Updated: Posted Pic.

The tea set must be a new addition. I noticed the tea set as one of the snack options on CX884 July 14 12:55p - 11:15a HKG-LAX. It wasn't on the menu on the HKG-LAX CX J flights I took back in May.

I took a pic, I'll try posting it up soon. The warmed up Scone and fruit tart are tasty, the 2 cold sandwiches were meh.

Updated: Posted Pic.

Last edited by dchen2; Aug 6, 2015 at 1:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.