Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

My First (and last) experience with Cathay Pacific!

My First (and last) experience with Cathay Pacific!

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
To the OP.

What day/date was that flight?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
now you got me intrigued. as a OWE i want to fly to LHR on a day flight in F refusing to close the blinds (the night flight has no light at all at this time of the year).

tell them to give you blank n white rules stating blinds shut. i wouldn't let go of it otherwise.

to those who wants to sleep, get window seat so you can control your window.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by aceboy44
When I flew DOH - HK the IFE clearly mentioned 8 hours, and on the return journey it mentioned 9 hours 15 minutes (I should have taken a photo of that as evidence.)
No need. You just need to give flight date and number and find the info on http://flightaware.com
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:47 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have deleted some personal replies. Stay on topic or this thread gets shut down.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I have to say that I find the window issue to be one flaw in an otherwise very decent business class product for CX.

I mentioned a similar problem in my recent TR:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23775913-post36.html

Here, I was not even asked. An FA reached over me during a daytime flight and closed the window. After I opened the window again he tried once more to reach over me and I told him not to.

The CSM came over and apologised. I saw her having a word with the FA in the galley afterwards. Not sure if the 'rule' wasn't enforced because of the time of the flight or the fact that I'm MPG.

Either way I found it strange to have somebody leaning over my personal space twice without asking or excusing themselves. For me one of the great pleasures in flying is being able to look out at the world beneath, particularly during a daytime flight.

I've not had a nap time forced on me since I was a toddler and when sitting in the premium cabin of a top airline I expect to be trusted to decide whether or not having the window is appropriate.

I most definitely would not open the window to allow bright sunlight through if it was nighttime at the flight's destination.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I hear what OP's say and I can certainly understand his frustration. However CX makes such policy for the best interest of the majority of the passengers I supposed. There's no right or wrong in such situation. If you don't like CX policy then find the airline to fly when your opinion is the majority?? Problems solved and OP you're happy!
And so are the rest of us who like to have the right to sleep in peace without eyeshades
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:06 am

I think this is a general practice to keep the window close after first meal for long haul flight to most of airlines.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
In addition to helping with sleep, closing the shades really does help with watching tv. There's nothing I can do in my aisle seat if the window guy opens his shade to let sun pour in while watching TV. What am I supposed to do, put a blanket around my head and the TV?

I admit that it's sometimes beautiful to look out of the window, especially flying over islands or mountains or some other unique land feature. I've never had a problem mentioning this to a FA and standing at 2L/R and looking out the window there.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:04 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Closing window shades happens on a lot of carriers. I don't mind it so much, although I do enjoy the view (even if "there's nothing to look at", a point I would almost always contest). On Japan Airlines they have special made sticks to reach over passengers and close shades without disturbing them.

What bothers me more is when carriers don't ask (or don't enforce) the opening of window shades for takeoff/landing. I do get a bit motion sensitive, and if I'm not in a window seat I appreciate being able to see where we are vs. the horizon. Also, it is a true safety issue as closed window shades do not help you gain your bearings in an emergency regarding smoke, water, natural hazards and/or obstructions.

To respect the desires of others, I will often drape the blanket/duvet over my head and peek out the window for a few minutes just to see the view. Nobody ever seems to mind that and it addresses everyone's concerns simultaneously.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dll
To respect the desires of others, I will often drape the blanket/duvet over my head and peek out the window for a few minutes just to see the view. Nobody ever seems to mind that and it addresses everyone's concerns simultaneously.
It seems that's the solution we're expected to do

It would look rather funny to have FTers occupy the windows in F & J doing this in sequence on a flight
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
It seems that's the solution we're expected to do

It would look rather funny to have FTers occupy the windows in F & J doing this in sequence on a flight
heh! in order to take the p!ss, we should occupy the big J cabin of a 77G on a redeye and refuse to shut the curtains.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:56 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Sun-light disturb passengers' sleeping ability. I never found it comfortable to sleep on planes. The flight is 9 hours long. StuidoCX is no where as good as ICE or ORXY, so what is the solution then??????
If you never found it comfortable to sleep on planes, then this is your problem, not the problem of your fellow passengers.
Since you are an Elite member of Emirates, why don't you just stick with them, at least you won't be disappointed.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
If you never found it comfortable to sleep on planes, then this is your problem, not the problem of your fellow passengers.
Since you are an Elite member of Emirates, why don't you just stick with them, at least you won't be disappointed.
Oh! I just booked another flight with Emirates. Do you know what that means? It means extra revenues for Emirates and less passengers for Cathay Pacific.

Out of curiosity, why are we still arguing in this thread? As one of the commentators mentioned I'm never going to fly Cathay Pacific again since I just booked a flight with Emirates. At least they know how to keep me happy, not to mention their amazing IFE of course ^^^

Fly Emirates, the world's largest A380 operator and world's best customer service from my experience ^

To answer your question of why I decided to fly Cathay Pacific this time, I just wanted to know what it feels like to fly "the world's best airline in 2014", which apparently, failed to meet my expectations, especially in business class. I didn't even receive a response from them regarding my complaint

Last edited by aceboy44; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:39 am
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: CX GO (in hibernation mode), AA EXP, SPG GO, HH DM
Oh! I just booked another flight with Emirates. Do you know what that means? It means extra revenues for Emirates and less passengers for Cathay Pacific.

Out of curiosity, why are we still arguing in this thread? As one of the commentators mentioned I'm never going to fly Cathay Pacific again since I just booked a flight with Emirates. At least they know how to keep me happy, not to mention their amazing IFE of course ^^^

Fly Emirates, the world's largest A380 operator and world's best customer service from my experience ^

To answer your question I just wanted to know what it feels like to fly "the world's best airline in 2014", which apparently, failed to meet my expectations, especially in business class. I didn't even receive a response from them regarding my complaint
^^^^
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by KACommuter
And so are the rest of us who like to have the right to sleep in peace without eyeshades
An incredible response!

The "right" to sleep in peace? Does not exist on public transport.

If someone is too lazy to put on a pair of eyeshades, which are specifically provided for that purpose, then they should just stay awake. People need to take responsibility for making themselves happy and should not expect others to simply give over to get their "own needs" met.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.