Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reuse priority tags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Reuse priority tags

Hi everybody! Did you guys have any experience of using the previous J/F class priority tags when you were having a Y class flight? Did it work? How can the baggage handler know the real priority bags and the 'previous priority' bags?

And will Dragonair(KA) honour CX's priority tag?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
CX will remove your old priority tags when you check the bag.

And KA will honor CX's priority tag, assuming your destination airport has KA/CX priority baggage handling service. They probably all do, but there might be some remote airport that doesn't... I haven't flown to them all to check.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

What do you mean by 'KA/CX priority baggage handling service'? Do you mean if there are CX and KA at the same airport, such as TPE and PVG, KA's tags will be honored?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i don't know about you but for me carry a bag with old "priority" tag is so embarassingly stroking that I wouldn't even think of doing it... in fact first thing I do when I pick up my luggage is to remove my tags (including priority tag)

and in answer to your question CX will graceously remove the old priority tag.

And to add to this: say if you had priority tag and you are entitled to new one, they will STILL remove the old tag and re-attach a brand new priority tag... i think that's waste of resources.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by fakecd
And to add to this: say if you had priority tag and you are entitled to new one, they will STILL remove the old tag and re-attach a brand new priority tag... i think that's waste of resources.
Actually I have found the latter depends on the outstation.

For example in PVG, I have found they don't remove the old priority tags, but they do attach a new one. At one point, I think I had six of them before I decided it looked a bit ridiculous and I cut them all off.

Also from what I can tell the baggage tag itself (the one with the barcode) is encoded with your priority information.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

So, if the priority info is with the barcode, what is the point of sticking the priority tags?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by jameswong
So, if the priority info is with the barcode, what is the point of sticking the priority tags?
To satisfy the people who want to feel "I'm special" type of cloud is big factor... ego factor that is.

But more importantly make it easier for baggage handler to visually identify them. But it is well reported that bags without priority tags, but when passed through auto barcode scanner it will be sorted accordingly, and handlers would be tagging the priority tag in the background. (in the case for connection from non OW port, for example)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
A TPE agent once told me that some airports don't honor old priority tag because they don't know if it's reused or not.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
A TPE agent once told me that some airports don't honor old priority tag because they don't know if it's reused or not.
i think they usually dont get honored. so u can have an F tag there all you want. if your ticket does not come with priority, it wont work.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:54 am

How is this appropriate behaviour?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: CX SL, BAEC Gold, IHG, Hyatt, Starwood,Ritz Carlton Reward
To satisfy the people who want to feel "I'm special" type of cloud is big factor... ego factor that is.

But more importantly make it easier for baggage handler to visually identify them. But it is well reported that bags without priority tags, but when passed through auto barcode scanner it will be sorted accordingly, and handlers would be tagging the priority tag in the background. (in the case for connection from non OW port, for example)
That is correct- If you read your check-in luggage tag's small prints (the long bit, not your receipt), a Business Class priority luggage will read Class: J in that column, even if you're travelling in a lower class (i was in W).
Likewise DM priority bags will read Class: F
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
How is this appropriate behaviour?

Like many things in life, if you can get away with it, people will do it.

Appropriateness is irrelevant.

Funny I don't think I've ever flow CX/KA without a priority tags.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:06 am

Why bother? A few times, with F Priority Baggage tag, my bag in fact rolled out 20 minutes after very 1st piece luggage presented itself at belt.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by alphaod
Actually I have found the latter depends on the outstation.

For example in PVG, I have found they don't remove the old priority tags, but they do attach a new one. At one point, I think I had six of them before I decided it looked a bit ridiculous and I cut them all off.

Also from what I can tell the baggage tag itself (the one with the barcode) is encoded with your priority information.
I can confirm that. And IME, I think the standard procedure is to remove whatever tag was on the bag and put a new priority one on. I've also heard stories of baggage transiting at outports onto CX flights will often manually get tagged with the priority tag because the system recognized the priority information encoded in the bar code
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jameswong
Well, they are usually more obvious than just the baggage tag so at least the handlers can spot them more easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.