Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reuse priority tags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jasjasper
That is correct- If you read your check-in luggage tag's small prints (the long bit, not your receipt), a Business Class priority luggage will read Class: J in that column, even if you're travelling in a lower class (i was in W).
Likewise DM priority bags will read Class: F
I don't think this is true in my (~50) observations as SL/GO. The "Class:" label always reads my fare bucket, which is usually M/K/R in my case. However, when I have been op-upped to J at check-in, the tag will read Class: J.

Maybe this has changed under the new check-in system?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
I don't think this is true in my (~50) observations as SL/GO. The "Class:" label always reads my fare bucket, which is usually M/K/R in my case. However, when I have been op-upped to J at check-in, the tag will read Class: J.

Maybe this has changed under the new check-in system?
Under the new check-in system (Amadeus Altea Customer Management), the baggage tags only show "F, J, W or Y" underr the "Class:" section of the baggage tag.

The previous system (Cupac) showed the original fare bucket.

It seems that with the new check-in system, staff handling the check-in process won't get to see the passenger's fare bucket unless they pull up the PNR or e-ticket (only if there is a problem etc.). The Customer Acceptance screen (main screen used for check-in) only shows the cabin codes of F, J, W, Y.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by daniellam
Under the new check-in system (Amadeus Altea Customer Management), the baggage tags only show "F, J, W or Y" underr the "Class:" section of the baggage tag.

It seems that with the new check-in system, staff handling the check-in process won't get to see the passenger's fare bucket unless they pull up the PNR or e-ticket (only if there is a problem etc.). The Customer Acceptance screen (main screen used for check-in) only shows the cabin codes of F, J, W, Y.
Yes I can also confirm that now on the baggage tag class only reads: F, J, W or Y. I got upgraded to First class on my flight to Tokyo last weekend. Originally booked in C and my baggage tag showed Class: F. In addition, the usual 'I' (involuntary upgrade) was omitted also on my boarding pass.

At HKG airport check in, the staff would always remove the old priority tag every time (my own experience at F check in). There're only a handful of times at outport where the check in staff kept the old tag on.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:42 am

So will a SL/GO traveling in Y/W be tagged as Class:J?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:43 am

So just to confirm: a SL/GO traveling in Y/W will be tagged as Class:J, correct?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
So just to confirm: a SL/GO traveling in Y/W will be tagged as Class:J, correct?
well ud get J tags, but otherwise i dont know how it would affect you....
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Well, they are usually more obvious than just the baggage tag so at least the handlers can spot them more easily.
In modern airports like HKG (and many others), the bag sorting is done electronically and manual intervention is minimal. The priority tag is useful mostly at some outstations where bags are primarily sorted manually.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I like to leave my CX tags on when flying OAL's

Had an issue where they removed one...but on the other side there was still a tag
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
Like many things in life, if you can get away with it, people will do it.

Appropriateness is irrelevant.

Funny I don't think I've ever flow CX/KA without a priority tags.
Well shame on them. It's a dishonest behaviour.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by kaka
well ud get J tags, but otherwise i dont know how it would affect you....
I was asking about the Class:J information getting encoded into the barcode, for where airports sort priority bags electronically (like HKG). In the past it would read Class:K or whatever your fare bucket was, but it seems like now they just have Class:F, J, W, or Y. One poster upthread indicated that priority-eligible pax in Y would get tagged as Class:J, so just wanted to confirm this.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

I was asking about the Class:J information getting encoded into the barcode, for where airports sort priority bags electronically (like HKG). In the past it would read Class:K or whatever your fare bucket was, but it seems like now they just have Class:F, J, W, or Y. One poster upthread indicated that priority-eligible pax in Y would get tagged as Class:J, so just wanted to confirm this.
Same here. My friend, who is a DM member always gets a First Class tag but the long baggage tag indicates CLASS: I...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
I can correlate. When I was younger, I would ask in a hopeful voice if the agent could tag my bag with a priority tag. More than often when I am nice and all, they will do it without batting an eye. I was also flying all *A, so they had the bright orange tags they stuck between the long baggage tag.

No shame, huh?

Of course I've grown out of that a long time ago, after figuring out that the tags really don't do much. I would just assume the OP is an infrequent younger flyer. No need to shame them. ^
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I have had KA re-use my old priority tags at HKT - the agent actually checked the old tag to see it was still sufficiently pristine and then decided not to replace it on a couple of bags, but replaced them on the rest

Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago I was flying in MH in business class and they gave me two priority tags - one business class one and one status one (I am CX DM to OWE)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
^
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:40 am

They've always removed mine.

I have a habit of not removing the baggage tags once I pick it up, mainly because when I check into the hotel at destination, the hotel staff in 9 out of 10 cases will look at the bag tag and see that I came from X origin. Saves me having to answer a question because they usually ask otherwise.

And seeing that I'm usually always running behind schedule, I end up having to rush to the check in counter so all the stickers are still on my bag. I then don't end up seeing what happens to the bag as I head off to the gate but when the bag comes out, all of the old airline stickers (hotel ones stay) have been removed, with a new priority tags attached. When interconnecting to another airline, some airlines even bother to retag the bag while its in transit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.