Search

Which program to accrue Asia Miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP / AA Plat / ex-UA Silver
Which program to accrue Asia Miles

Hi FT friends,
Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. I'm going on a biz trip on Cathay in Dec. and will be flying them for the first time due to company policy.

I typically fly star alliance airlines, and accrue miles to my UA account. Since I cannot do that with Asia miles, I am wondering which program would be the best to deposit these miles into. I've been looking at Alaska's mileage plan, BA's avios, and AAdvantage, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info (data overload).

Appreciate any feedback / suggestions you are able to provide. Thx!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
As per normal - it depends...

Mainly on what class you will be flying, what you might be doing in the future, how long your current flights are and where your home airport is.

AS has the most partners, but likely not useful unless passing through the NW USA reasonably often. AA has perhaps the best redemption rates, if you can collect enough redeemable miles. CX (Asia Miles) likely looks after their members the best if you fly enough for status.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by wrkngonit
Hi FT friends,
Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. I'm going on a biz trip on Cathay in Dec. and will be flying them for the first time due to company policy.

I typically fly star alliance airlines, and accrue miles to my UA account. Since I cannot do that with Asia miles, I am wondering which program would be the best to deposit these miles into. I've been looking at Alaska's mileage plan, BA's avios, and AAdvantage, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info (data overload).

Appreciate any feedback / suggestions you are able to provide. Thx!
First off, Asia Miles is the name of a Frequent Flyer programme.

Secondly, which other airline do you think you'd more likely use? If its a trip on another alliance other than Star, I'd choose Alaska as they have a mish mash of various airlines. Ranging from Oneworld to SkyTeam to themselves.

If you have status on your UA programme, I suggest getting a match to either AS or AA so that on this CX flight, you'd get some bonus miles as an elite member. On BA you get none so scratch that.

I think after this CX flight, you might be taking them over UA especially if you'll fly to Asia often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.