Search

Baggage... HKG-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Baggage... HKG-SYD

Hi guys,

First time posting on the CX Board, I'm usually the one asking silly questions on the BA board!

I've stupidly booked myself LHR-HKG-SYD with a stopover in HKG, and assumed my BA baggage allowance would apply to the whole journey. (i.e. J class, OWS - 3 x 32kg bags). However, I've realised that I only have 30kg allowance on CX (because of the stopover).

Trouble is, I'm going to Australia for a triathlon, and will have a heavy bike in tow. We're talking at least 25kg for the bike, plus the rest of my kit

Obviously I don't want to pay USD30 per kg for anything over - likely around 45kg in total.

What are my options?!:
- Plead ignorance and hope CX check-in supervisor takes pity on me?!
- Sign up to Asia Miles and buy excess with miles (can transfer from Amex) - if I do this can I still have my BA number on the booking?
- Err... Pay $450

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
check your bike as your 1 bag and take a carry-on rolla-board and a big backpack...everyone else seems to get away with it on CX
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is it the same ticket? Have you checked if the most significant carrier rules will apply to you?

If it's the same ticket then there's a case the BA rules will apply to the whole trip regardless of stopover. However im not an expert in the interpretation of the most significant carrier rules.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Is it the same ticket? Have you checked if the most significant carrier rules will apply to you?

If it's the same ticket then there's a case the BA rules will apply to the whole trip regardless of stopover. However im not an expert in the interpretation of the most significant carrier rules.
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...r-journey.html

I agree that BA's rule applies - see the first example in the link above.
LHR-HKG is the only sector that crosses IATA tariff area, thus BA rule applies.
(better have a soft/hard copy of the above link to show to the check-in staff, just in case)

Btw, assuming OP is booked on the BA codeshare on CX, does that make a difference? Will his BAEC benefit applies?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:45 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by LchChester
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...r-journey.html

I agree that BA's rule applies - see the first example in the link above.
LHR-HKG is the only sector that crosses IATA tariff area, thus BA rule applies.
(better have a soft/hard copy of the above link to show to the check-in staff, just in case)

Btw, assuming OP is booked on the BA codeshare on CX, does that make a difference? Will his BAEC benefit applies?
First example in the link above specifically said "no stop-over".

There's a 4th option assuming you don't absolutely need to stop in HKG - change the ticket and pay the change fee so you can check your luggages all the way from LHR to SYD and back from SYD to LHR.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
First example in the link above specifically said "no stop-over".

There's a 4th option assuming you don't absolutely need to stop in HKG - change the ticket and pay the change fee so you can check your luggages all the way from LHR to SYD and back from SYD to LHR.
I am afraid that the application of the MSC rule requires no stopover.

Unfortunately for you, CX applies a weight concept to OZ, while BA applies a piece system. As CX is the operating airline on HKG-SYD you are bound by their allowance

You ticket issued by BA probably has a BA code for the HKG-SYD leg (they codeshare with CX on that segment). That might help asking for the BA allowance. Strictly speaking, CX conditions apply to a CX-operated flight with a stopover in HKG, but CX has be known to be a bit flexible for premium pax.

Posters on the BA board probably have more experience with this situation.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Note that CX have some specific requirements for transporting bicycles:
A bicycle can be accepted as check-in baggage, provided that the following requirements of the bicycle are met:

Non-motorized touring / racing single-seat bicycle
Handlebars are fixed and tightened sideways or parallel to the frame or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material
Pedals are removed or fixed inwards or enclosed in plastic foam or similar material
Tyres are deflated
Passenger must pack bicycle in a strong and protective hard case or recognised bicycle box.

As to the appropriate course of action - as the bike will be outsize it won't fit on the normal scales at the check-in desk. Usually (in HKG anyway) they will tag it at the check-in desk and ask you to take it over to the outsize baggage desk. I have had to do this several times with golf bags and generally they haven't seemed to weigh them at the outsize bag counter either. So you might just be lucky! However, CX also never seem to weigh hand luggage, and if you are in J they are pretty relaxed about the number of bags you take on with you. So if it were me, I would ensure anything small and heavy were in my hand luggage with bulky lighter items in the check-in baggage. Wear any heavy outer clothing, and fill the pockets. You would be amazed at how much heavy luggage you can "wear". I have lopped over 10kg from my check-in bags this way before!

Unfortunately I don't have any recent experience in Sydney so can't advise you about whether they weight outsize luggage there - in fact the last time I was there they weighed my hand luggage, but that seemed to be the airport being difficult (and anyway it was nearly twenty years ago so you shouldn't take that as any sort of guide!).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Thinking about IanFromHKGs point, I don't think I've ever actually had the bike weighed, and I must have flown about 20 sectors with it. Occasionally check-in staff have asked, 'what do you think it weighs', my usual answer is about 25kg, because on BA it makes no difference.

Even EasyJet aren't bothered by the weight of the bike!

I'll report back next week and let you know the outcome.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Baggage... HKG-SYD

Thanks folks for all the advice.

The bike was weighed in the end, and I was about 10kg over my allowance on 30kg. The trainee(!) and her supervisor didn't even bat an eyelid.

Now enjoying a quick drink in my favourite lounge on my new favourite airline!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:21 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jackowilkinson
Thanks folks for all the advice.

The bike was weighed in the end, and I was about 10kg over my allowance on 30kg. The trainee(!) and her supervisor didn't even bat an eyelid.

Now enjoying a quick drink in my favourite lounge on my new favourite airline!
You may not be over your allowance given how CX interprets the enhanced benefit for sapphire members

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...rivileges.html
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I think CX tends to be lenient with premium and elite pax.

Anyways good luck with your triathlon ^
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
You may not be over your allowance given how CX interprets the enhanced benefit for sapphire members

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...rivileges.html
Originally Posted by alphaod
I think CX tends to be lenient with premium and elite pax.

Anyways good luck with your triathlon ^
yes and yes.

my family had done crazy baggage lugging on paid I tix. GA never bothered.

not to mention that if OP flew on 1Dec, he's entitled to 45kg as OWS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.