Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was I robbed on board?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
File a police report (for insurance purposes - although they may not cover the entire amount - some policies have limits).

I carry one of those basic combination locks for my hand luggage - on the thought there is perhaps just enough deterrent for a thief who would only have a limited time to break into a bag in flight.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:48 am

A few things to protect yourself.

1) Don't act like you have valuables in your bag. Would-be thieves scan people's body language and based on that guess if you have something worth their risk of stealing. Act cool, walk in, put it up as if it's nothing, sit down.

2) Put your bags with the zipper inside. Some thieves are opportunists and if they need to do a few extra steps, like move your bags out, adjust the positions, instead of just a quick unzip, grab, and go; they will not do it.

3) Try wire money next time, they take a few bucks for service fees, but better that than risk getting all stolen.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
But if it is just cash, it is not personally identifiable. A he said, she said if someone is caught with cash.
But the thief may be caught in the act and even if not, the police will find it a lot easier to work out as everyone is identified, then there is also the scenario of post #15.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines
There has been a few reports suggesting Mainland Chinese robbers bought tickets on flights and they do steal money and other valuables during the flight to Hong Kong & Macau.

For your safety and security, before disembarking the aircraft and plane doors open, if you do carry some amount of cash, remember to check if it is still there in your sight.

If not, notify crew immediately. Crew can put the plane in lockdown to find stolen goods for you. Usually it should be found quite easily and at the same time you can catch thieves too.
This has and is happening...

http://mothership.sg/2014/01/chinese...kair-tigerair/

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/18069/...ling-on-flight

And its not just on SQ, CX flights.

My cousin's husband was on a BA flight in J, and he found over Ł5K missing in his hand baggage about 5-6 years ago.

So it has been happening... and especially so on overnight flights.

So what is there to do other than put a lock also on your hand carry?

Thieves are everywhere... they're like terrorists.. you really do not know who they are..

Airlines and especially subways / tubes /MRTs announce to report 'suspicious looking persons' to authorities.. but what really does a suspicious looking person look like? Is it male, is he 'dark' skinned, is he shady looking?

Most likely its that nice little grandmother sitting in seat 11K knitting away !

Yes, they can even be premium class passengers!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I do lock my carry-on!! It is better to be safe than to regret.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I do lock my carry-on!! It is better to be safe than to regret.
If its a handleable amount of cash, i keep it with me even if its uncomfy. Same w the phone
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Perhaps a good reason to continue my practice of withdrawing from ATM at destination.

But I've just redeemed the EZE trip where I have to bring in a huge amount of USD to exchange at the Blue Rate. I better lock.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Don't carry more cash than you need until you can get to an ATM. Even if the ATM has a fee, think of it as insurance.

2. If you do need to carry cash, keep it on you. YS$2,500 is onnly 25 bills (in hundreds). It can easily fit in a wallet, envelope or whatever and stay on your person.

3. Locking you carry on, just like locking checked luggage is simply a signal to thieves that you have valuables in the bag.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If you're flying in the F cabin, there are no overheads on CX. Your carryon goes under the ottoman in front of you.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Don't carry more cash than you need until you can get to an ATM. Even if the ATM has a fee, think of it as insurance.
Your faith in the electronic banking system is touching, but flawed. I have had several trips where networks went down country-wide. What happens if your card gets hacked and you have to cancel it? These days that is as likely as having cash stolen. I recently had to lend a friend cash to settle his hotel bill - credit card and atm card both hacked.

I'm not saying 'don't use ATMs.' I'm saying 'have cash as a backup'.

2. If you do need to carry cash, keep it on you. YS$2,500 is only 25 bills (in hundreds). It can easily fit in a wallet, envelope or whatever and stay on your person.
This makes sense. Cash stays on your person.

3. Locking you carry on, just like locking checked luggage is simply a signal to thieves that you have valuables in the bag.
Agreed. better to bury your cash deep in an unlocked carry-on (may be inside some unwashed socks), than to put in the top pocket of a locked carry-on. But I go back to my previous comment. Cash stays on your person. And not in a wallet in your hip pocket.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:56 pm

Locking you carry on, just like locking checked luggage is simply a signal to thieves that you have valuables in the bag.
Agree that locking the carry on (or anything suggests) you have valuables. But unless a thief were to break the lock while standing next to your seat plus a bunch of others, he/she has to move on. If the thief were stupid enough to steal the entire carry on then you will know that it is gone BEFORE you disembark and everyone will still be on board
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:15 pm

$2500 is a pain to carry - it generally won't fit in a wallet that easily. I know - I regularly have to carry $10,000 on aircraft. Always have money that you can't afford to lose secreted on your person: I wear jeans with deep pockets and place $5000 in either side front pockets.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you're flying in the F cabin, there are no overheads on CX. Your carryon goes under the ottoman in front of you.
Or in the cabinet that houses the TV.

Originally Posted by avsecman
$2500 is a pain to carry - it generally won't fit in a wallet that easily. I know - I regularly have to carry $10,000 on aircraft. Always have money that you can't afford to lose secreted on your person: I wear jeans with deep pockets and place $5000 in either side front pockets.
I regularly carry 5k in my wallet. I have a concealed pocket that I carry my wallet in when I'm out and about, too.

If more than 5k, I'll spread it amongst my carry on bags. Deep inside, in zippered compartments and envelopes.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:30 pm

Often better to carry cash in Sterling, CHF or Bahraini Dinah, depending on whether these options are available at origin - they aren't to me.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Agree that locking the carry on (or anything suggests) you have valuables. But unless a thief were to break the lock while standing next to your seat plus a bunch of others, he/she has to move on.
agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.