Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Runway - CX's Proposed Lounge Gym at The Pier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE

Just got a questionnaire from CX Insights on "The Runway" proposal to have a lounge gym within The Pier lounge.

What do you think - good idea or over ambitious to offer something different?
Personally, I would like to see CX come up with some other idea and make a comparison on what customers would like rather than force feed a concept.

Your thoughts?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: CX Gold, TK Elite, Hilton HHonors Silver , LeadersClub
Hi,

I'm new on flyertalk and just qualified as Marco Polo Club Gold.
I like the idea but I'm not wowed with it. The main hassle for me would be putting my gym shoes together with my hand luggage but that is just me :roll eyes: . a SPA idea would be great also, even it was only a 15 minutes neck massage.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:35 am
Suspended

I think this is brilliant and the fact they will also have shorts and shoes for you to use is brilliant. They will also make sure they know how long you will be using the equipment and have a shower ready for you.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:58 am
Uli

it is not totally new: the vip-lounge in FRA has a nice gym as well. and no waiting for showers
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by spiffingchap
I think this is brilliant and the fact they will also have shorts and shoes for you to use is brilliant. They will also make sure they know how long you will be using the equipment and have a shower ready for you.
Oh yes, I would love to wear shorts and shoes that I don't know who with what communicable diseases have worn before, and I have to put 100% faith in the CX cleaning crew to make sure they are properly washed and disinfected. NO THANKS!

This is another one of those CX gadgets that "wows" people but in practice it will only benefit a few and wasting too much space that could be better serve for seating, dining, resting purposes. Bad idea.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
If I had a 6 hour layover, of course access to a gym would be great but in reality I don't really want a 6 hour layover and would much rather have a 1.5 to 2 hour transit and get going to where I want to go.In most cases CX is good at that I think. I've also been surveyed quite a lot in the last week and my take is that the more you fly (and you are the bigger revenue spenders whether in F,J,Y) you just want to get to where you want to go with the best efficiency and yes some nice lounges along the way to make you feel that CX value your business.
An F class type lounge like Frankfurt may work actually but I don't think a gym will get many people apart from the novelty factor.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:25 am

This idea is as bad as the "video games room" CX used to have at Wing lounge.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
This idea is as bad as the "video games room" CX used to have at Wing lounge.
Hey! I liked that room!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
How I imagine it would look like.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I think CX should consider converting that part of the terminal to the equivalent of LH FCT lounge instead ...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I'd rather they put some capsule for short nap in the lounge instead...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
I'd rather they put some capsule for short nap in the lounge instead...
Now this is a great idea.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Just got a questionnaire from CX Insights on "The Runway" proposal to have a lounge gym within The Pier lounge.

What do you think - good idea or over ambitious to offer something different?
Personally, I would like to see CX come up with some other idea and make a comparison on what customers would like rather than force feed a concept.

Your thoughts?
Bad bad bad , very bad idea .
If you want a work out , just walk up and down the length/ breath of the terminal . That's a serious work out in itself - just got back from HKIA and as luck would have it , I arrived at the last gate of a " branch / finger - 40 somthing and departed from 2o something ..and because I wanted some soup noodles from the Wing and also to see the new Moncler shop - I was everywhere at HKIA .

What would be nice is a quiet and feet up area - it's way too crowded now.

Also would like a brighter area , it's way too dark , too much mood lighting at the Pier now ...

If possible an area that allows you to be outside if the building/ natural air ( yes I know HK air - blah blag ) but still a non smoking space .
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Hmm...In principle I like the idea. I sometimes have long layovers and always have just carry-on luggage that includes my gym stuff.

In practice, though, I'm often too jet-lagged or have work to do or might prefer to do other things when passing through. So I'm not sure how often I'd use it.

There's also the question of whether other good things could be done with the space that would be set aside for this. A spa like TG in Bangkok or an FCT like LH in Frankfurt would be wonderful, though both require more space than the gym likely would. And of course the spa is only really worthwhile for TG F passengers and the FCT is restricted to LH F passengers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
... my take is that the more you fly (and you are the bigger revenue spenders whether in F,J,Y) you just want to get to where you want to go with the best efficiency and yes some nice lounges along the way to make you feel that CX value your business.
Agreed. I will fly out of HKG on CX approx 40x this year, a combo of ex-HKG flights and connection via SGN. What gets me excited is stuff that makes the 30 mins I will spend in the lounge 40 times every year better, like

- really fast wifi
- better food
- a spa would be cool. I would pay for a foot / back massage quite frequently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.