Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Runway - CX's Proposed Lounge Gym at The Pier

The Runway - CX's Proposed Lounge Gym at The Pier

Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:32 am

I like the gym idea as I try to go to a gym, where ever in the world, at least every 2nd day.

So I always carry my gym gear when I travel and since I'd have my luggage with me as a carry on, it'd be a matter of just getting changed into it, working out for an hour, a shower and board to fall asleep like a baby.

For the people that do work out at hotels when they travel, this is a great way to save time because it means I don't actually have to work out the next day while at the destination so that I can spend more time traveling in a foreign city that I don't live in.

Any time in the airport is essentially 'dead' time so this could be a great way to save some time for the gym regulars.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 pm

Gym would be nice, even with a lap pool (highly unlikely I know), but relaxing in water is my favourite way to uncurl after being squished in Y.

I would also appreciate a spa. Been in the Virgin Upper Class Clubhouse lounge before, they offer manicures, massages, haircuts.. etc. ummmmm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I know AA has one for their DFW lounge. It may sound like a great idea, in reality, there is simply better utilization for a space like that like a nap room someone mentioned earlier. If it does end up having a gym there, it would be more style than substance
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:58 pm

The Revitalizer = a place for tui na treatments, acupuncture and foot massages.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by jona970318
I know AA has one for their DFW lounge. It may sound like a great idea, in reality, there is simply better utilization for a space like that like a nap room someone mentioned earlier. If it does end up having a gym there, it would be more style than substance
If CX wants to be creative they can offer nap-capsules, a spa, a massage service (with an extra fee). Seriously, how many people are gym rats that carries gym clothes in their carry-ons? And please don't say CX will rent out shorts and shoes, talk about an epidemic waiting to happen....
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
And please don't say CX will rent out shorts and shoes, talk about an epidemic waiting to happen....
Seriously this is not an issue for clothes. Most gyms in HK have towels and clothing provided to members and are likely washed better than how you wash them at home.

Shoes, however, not sure how that will work.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Seriously this is not an issue for clothes. Most gyms in HK have towels and clothing provided to members and are likely washed better than how you wash them at home.

Shoes, however, not sure how that will work.
My wife's pretty hardcore when it comes to clothes, I doubt anybody can wash it any more cleaner than her, but anyway.... back to topic.

As for shoes, don't even risk it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I think if they make http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ence-wing.html permanent we'll all be browbeaten by our missuses into buying/redeeeming F/making DM/OWE. We'll all have our bright dark corners when we get home.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I think if they make http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ence-wing.html permanent we'll all be browbeaten by our missuses into buying/redeeeming F/making DM/OWE. We'll all have our bright dark corners when we get home.
la mer hydrated experience might get you so many brownie points you get a very bright dark corner on the flight!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
As for shoes, don't even risk it.
I'm curious where you buy your shoes? Is there some shop that throws away shoes that have been tried on but not bought?

It seems to me that your hypochondria is somewhat extreme.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by mitwg
I like the gym idea as I try to go to a gym, where ever in the world, at least every 2nd day.

So I always carry my gym gear when I travel and since I'd have my luggage with me as a carry on, it'd be a matter of just getting changed into it, working out for an hour, a shower and board to fall asleep like a baby.
... with a bag now containing wet gym gear which is going to be pretty manky by the end of a long haul flight.

Personally I don't see how this would work without loan clothes & (probably) shoes. But even then, I agree that sleep capsules would be a better use of space.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by christep
... with a bag now containing wet gym gear which is going to be pretty manky by the end of a long haul flight.

Personally I don't see how this would work without loan clothes & (probably) shoes. But even then, I agree that sleep capsules would be a better use of space.
Actually Westin do lend (I call it loan) you clothes and shoes for workout as a promotion program with NB, but after 150+ nights in different Westins this year (and all those stays in earlier years), I still haven't try this "offer" out

So, do-able, but how popular it would be is an unknown
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by kaka
la mer hydrated experience might get you so many brownie points you get a very bright dark corner on the flight!
That good, eh?

All righty- my vote for making those treatments permanent!

Scr#w the gym then, I'll manage the barbs on the excess weight!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by christep
I'm curious where you buy your shoes? Is there some shop that throws away shoes that have been tried on but not bought?

It seems to me that your hypochondria is somewhat extreme.
I really don't know where you live nor do I care, but here in USA you usually try out a shoe and then when you are ready to buy you ask the shoe salesman to take a new one from the back stock room, meaning no one else has worn before, unless it's the last one left then you are out of luck.

That vs. CX having at best 2-3 pairs of shoes of a particular size that is constantly being worn by different people working out at CX gym, and working out = DIRTY SWEATS and you know there will even be a few people that won't wear socks (unless CX institutes a socks policy), and as time goes by hundreds if not thousands of people will wear those shoes with their sweats and stinks, and you are telling me it's the same thing as buying new shoes?

Last edited by sxc; Oct 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm Reason: Remove personal remarks.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
The Revitalizer = a place for tui na treatments, acupuncture and foot massages.
And cupping , with fire massage too !

I like the therapy rooms with facials and massage. Just like when they had the Elemis Spa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.