Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Reduction in Lounge Access for MPO SL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduction in Lounge Access for MPO SL?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Rivarix
As kaka mentioned above, why don't you go ahead and get a TR for us? I've seen other TR but more interested in someone who can run a comparison between the two services (instead of looking at each one independently).
I can do it now, without the pics.
I flew J HKG-DFW and MCE on DFW-HKG just the last 30 days or so

HKG Lounges - Gate 40 Travellers Lounge vs. a range of CX ones.
Mostly mute since you can go to CX ones with an AA boarding pass

US origin lounges - There is no way you can rate AA DFW Admiral's Club would be better than any of CX selections.
Even the old KL YYZ lounge would be better f&b wise.

Boarding - HKG - I like AA more, CX can be a cluster.... with lots of CX Green with jammed with priority boarding.
AA had 1 F line, 1 J line with all elites, and Y in groups

Out of DFW - The gate area was packed to the gill with no way to maneuver so CX probably would beat AA on the return

Seating - CX F wins, J is equal/same seat, Y is 3-4-3 in the back.
Main Cabin Extra at 3-3-3, 36 pitch is bareable but still flying 14-16 hrs on that thing is rough for any frequent flyer.

Big item if you want privacy, AA uses see-through mesh while CX is actual curtains ^

Food - J wise - AA western food is better grade. CX wins Chinese.
AA made ex-HKG catered Chinese taste like Panda Express, didn't know that was humanly possible, YUCK!

Y food is CX, no questions ask...

AA also runs 3 meal service (1st Main, then 2nd and 3rd are a bit lighter)
I'm only used to CX West Coast service so hard to compare vs. YYZ/ORD/NYC

Entertainment - CX has wider selections, AA isn't bad, More like 9 vs. 8 points.

Crew- You can get good or bad, more chances to strike bad with AA however.
I found the AA Canto crew very lackluster. My Canto is better than theirs! @:-)

Hope that helps

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Oct 29, 2014 at 10:39 am
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang

The menus to me look on par with CX, except for maybe some haughty beverage selections. On the other hand, I have not read any trip reports where AA ran out of anything! ;-)

Includes PJ's in J... although that is not a big deal to me. I don't use'em anyway.

"American’s wifi prices are exceedingly reasonable on international flights — you can’t beat $19 for wifi with unlimited data." OMG... the productivity for me would be great.
May I suggest you read this thread on the AA forum to gauge that flight?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2014-a.html

The bar has definitely ran out of food before. No question about that.
There are no pajamas on either. But AA will give you slippers in J.

Wifi, for some of us, plane is where I want to be out of touch 16 hrs and not be pestered by clients
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
The bar has definitely ran out of food before. No question about that.
There are no pajamas on either. But AA will give you slippers in J.
I'm more worried about the OTHER bar running out! Happens all the time to me on CX. :-o

And I have never flow this AA flight, and have no first-hand knowledge of the PJ thing. That came from Ben at the OneMile blog, who claims PAX were given a pair on a flight about 3 weeks ago. Again... doesn't matter to me! :-)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I was told CX had a huge population of MPO elite members with North America based addresses, and I bet changing the SL benefits CX will take a hit there. I already know numerous CX SL that said the ONLY reason they kept paying for CX, at a higher fare vs. other airlines, is the lounge benefits as SL. If not, they are very quick to jump to another airline
Completely agreed by a North American fellow. My typical transit at HK thr CX:9-11 hrs.. I would be flying SQ or other airlines if lounge access for Silver MC is being limited.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Please stay on topic regarding potential lounge access changes. No AA trip reports here please.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
Originally Posted by waphle

Then, they dropped the bombshell! The survey indicated they were considering they were considering moving from the current open access to lounges for SL to a voucher system (only X vouchers a year). The first question on this topic suggested they would offer four vouchers a year, and asked if that would change my desire to achieve/maintain status (duh). The second asked what the minimum of vouchers per year I would expect in order for SL to be worth it.
I will definitely OBJECT CX for making such a move. I travel 3-5 times a year which means during some years I can't make it to Gold but Silver with 50+K. With the proposed 4 vouchers a year, that will be a joke. I assume a voucher for a lounge entry. Assuming I travel 3 times this year, which in turns will have 6 segments(my business trip goes to SIN, PEK, KUL or TPE). If CX goes with vouchers, I will need 12 and 4 is definitely insufficient. I push to fly via CX(Not my company preferred air carrier) because of CX excellent service, flight time choices and also I will be able to stop over a weekend in HKG before returning home. That will really make me consider alternate flights.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
I will definitely OBJECT CX for making such a move. I travel 3-5 times a year which means during some years I can't make it to Gold but Silver with 50+K. With the proposed 4 vouchers a year, that will be a joke. I assume a voucher for a lounge entry. Assuming I travel 3 times this year, which in turns will have 6 segments(my business trip goes to SIN, PEK, KUL or TPE). If CX goes with vouchers, I will need 12 and 4 is definitely insufficient. I push to fly via CX(Not my company preferred air carrier) because of CX excellent service, flight time choices and also I will be able to stop over a weekend in HKG before returning home. That will really make me consider alternate flights.
I understand CX lounges are becoming a zoo but why punish your own members that is only flying with you because you offered lounge access? Seriously, the only advantage CX low tiers have over against other FFPs (in North America) is their lounge accesses. CX DM is supreme, CX GO is decent, CX SL will be nothing if you take the lounge out. What do I have to look forward as SL? Check-in at Business Class desk with Business class tags? Big deal....

Many people do multiple hops when they travel on business trips. I hop on average 6 times per Chinese trip, and in the future my travels will be reduced to 3 times a year that puts me sadly right around 50K, I will definitely NOT stick with CX if this is passed.

Related OT note, CX should really offer soft landing to at least try to reward their long time loyal DM fliers.....
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by JohnGreat
I understand CX lounges are becoming a zoo but why punish your own members that is only flying with you because you offered lounge access? Seriously, the only advantage CX low tiers have over against other FFPs (in North America) is their lounge accesses. CX DM is supreme, CX GO is decent, CX SL will be nothing if you take the lounge out. What do I have to look forward as SL? Check-in at Business Class desk with Business class tags? Big deal....

Many people do multiple hops when they travel on business trips. I hop on average 6 times per Chinese trip, and in the future my travels will be reduced to 3 times a year that puts me sadly right around 50K, I will definitely NOT stick with CX if this is passed.

Related OT note, CX should really offer soft landing to at least try to reward their long time loyal DM fliers.....
Mate go check out jgc
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
CX does offer extension of DM status on a discretionary basis. When I failed to requalify my DM status several years ago, I received a surprise call from MPC (Hong Kong) notifying me that they extended my DM. They may offer soft landing too in a similar manner.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I understand CX lounges are becoming a zoo but why punish your own members that is only flying with you because you offered lounge access?
Is CX J lounges really that crowded these days? I haven't visited J lounges recently (other than a visit to the Bridge after it opened to check things out) but from my prior visits to J lounges, I don't recall them ever being as crowded as say BA Galleries at LHR T5.

I wonder if over-crowding is really the issue (to the point where CX feels it is driving people to other airlines) or if this is more of an overall change in management philosophy about providing benefits for MPC lowest tier ...

Btw, does anyone know if (or how many) lounge(s) will CX have at the new terminal that's currently being built?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I am DM, but my wife is SL. She usually flies PEY, and that will limit her desires to fly. So I don't like that.
I also do not like. I am now wondering if I should do MR to maintain my SL, as I do not travel much up north nowadays.

I am also really considering MH instead of CX as if I believe C class on MH I will get 2 sectors per flight (instead of 1.25), and their cheap fares are earning full sectors.

The only reason I stick with CX because of the lounge access for SL, if they remove it (or put a restriction) then, I do not see much reason to stick with CX.

Last edited by lingua101; Oct 31, 2014 at 1:54 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Is CX J lounges really that crowded these days? I haven't visited J lounges recently (other than a visit to the Bridge after it opened to check things out) but from my prior visits to J lounges, I don't recall them ever being as crowded as say BA Galleries at LHR T5.

I wonder if over-crowding is really the issue (to the point where CX feels it is driving people to other airlines) or if this is more of an overall change in management philosophy about providing benefits for MPC lowest tier ...

Btw, does anyone know if (or how many) lounge(s) will CX have at the new terminal that's currently being built?
they are during certain period of times. Sometimes I noticed a family with 2-3 kids. I really wonder if they are flying business class or make use the father Elite status. I think firstly, CX needs to curb the number of people who can come to the lounge per member, before they start cutting benefit for SL.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by lingua101
they are during certain period of times. Sometimes I noticed a family with 2-3 kids. I really wonder if they are flying business class or make use the father Elite status. I think firstly, CX needs to curb the number of people who can come to the lounge per member, before they start cutting benefit for SL.
Don't underestimate the purchasing power of some region's family... They all fly J (or F FYI)... ex-[those ports] xHKG is not very expensive...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:27 am

I also do not like. I am now wondering if I should do MR to maintain my SL, as I do not travel much up north nowadays.

I am also really considering MH instead of CX as if I believe C class on MH I will get 2 sectors per flight (instead of 1.25), and their cheap fares are earning full sectors.

The only reason I stick with CX because of the lounge access for SL, if they remove it (or put a restriction) then, I do not see much reason to stick with MH
Me too, if they cut SL lounge benefits I'm taking my future 50K per year to AA where I can actually make Platinum with that! Not to mention all the bonus miles, 500-miles upgrades, and all other goodies.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:31 am

I have use the lounge at least a thousand times and I rarely see people bring in guests or families (happens, but I rarely see them), if anything they are 0.1% of the issue of overcrowding.

Let's face it, the real overcrowding is OWE/S people crowding the CX lounges that CX refuse to exercise crowd control. I don't know about Bridge but the last few times I tried to use the Cabin (I like the view) it is so crowded two times I walked right out because of lack of seating. G16 is less crowded but usually too far away from any meaningful CX/KA flights to make it a viable option.

I really think CX should just designate G16 a OWE lounge and make Wing exclusively CX F/DM lounge the way BA segregates their top tier lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.