Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Upgraded Prem Econ->Business due to plane change -- how else does that affect me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded Prem Econ->Business due to plane change -- how else does that affect me?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

Flying to Singapore in a bit via Hong Kong and the HKG-SIN and SIN-HKG legs have been bumped to Business from Premium Economy due to a plane change. I'm pleased about this I think, given that I've heard sometimes people get bumped to Economy.

However, does this affect anything else (like baggage limits, what line I can check into at the airport, airport lounges)? Or does that all stay the same since I only paid for Premium Economy?

The new itinerary has me on class E for JFK-HKG, and class I for HKG-SIN

Last edited by tj-traveler; Oct 22, 2014 at 9:01 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
You should get lounge access. Normally when I bought transpacific PY the put me in J for the regional sector and it gives all the J privileges including mileage accrual.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Anyone has any experiences with buying Prem Econ (E) and being bumped up to Business intra Asia
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by alphaod
You should get lounge access. Normally when I bought transpacific PY the put me in J for the regional sector and it gives all the J privileges including mileage accrual.
This is incorrect

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ge-faqs-2.html

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?

No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

It is not clear if an op-up'ed business or first class passenger can receive Arrival lounge benefits. ** does anyone have experience here ? **
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Anyone has any experiences with buying Prem Econ (E) and being bumped up to Business intra Asia
Plenty. Even on a redeemed ticket. A colleague redeemed a PE ticket for KIX, got D/G (asked me about SOP and I said US$40 and upgrade cert) but eventually received J BP at airport. I said she can test her BP at lounge even though they are entitled to refuse but she said she didn't have the time.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by percysmith
Plenty. Even on a redeemed ticket. A colleague redeemed a PE ticket for KIX, got D/G (asked me about SOP and I said US$40 and upgrade cert) but eventually received J BP at airport. I said she can test her BP at lounge even though they are entitled to refuse but she said she didn't have the time.
Sorry I should have been clearer, what I meant is that would someone knowingly buy a PE fare to travel on a flight which does not offer PE and got upgraded to J. What's CX's practice for handling such customers. TIA
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:09 am

Just received a call from CX WRT Booking Quality Control telling me my return flihgt in next month from KIX will have a equipment change fr 77H to 773 without PEY and all my family members will be put to J seats.

Checked MMB, my redemption tkt from T to U class and other family members from E to I class and the Club Miles displayed as a I class rate.

Pls let me know if they credit you the "I" calss Club Miles because my brother needs that few hundreds to renew GO for next year.

Edited: The e-tkt numbers changed for my family revenue tkt & they have 30kg baggage allowance & remarks "ENDORSEMENTS : INVOL FMUG TO I CLASS DUE PEY AC DG AUTH BY HKGREVRB/T5".
Mine redemption e-tkt remains unchanged.

Last edited by TalkFlyer; Oct 24, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tj-traveler
I'm pleased about this I think, given that I've heard sometimes people get bumped to Economy.
This has me a bit alarmed. If passengers buy PE tickets on CX, there is a chance they'll be moved to Economy due to aircraft change (or other reasons)??? I'm considering flying JFK <—>MEL via HKG because of their PE product. This would be a game changer.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Analise
This has me a bit alarmed. If passengers buy PE tickets on CX, there is a chance they'll be moved to Economy due to aircraft change (or other reasons)??? I'm considering flying JFK <—>MEL via HKG because of their PE product. This would be a game changer.
You're fine. PE is guaranteed on all long-haul routes especially yours. No need to worry.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by maortega15
You're fine. PE is guaranteed on all long-haul routes especially yours. No need to worry.
Oh good. Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:34 am

I think the situation is a bit different here. Usually one gets op-up when airport takeover the control, but here op have the ticket rebooked into I subclass... Which i suspect he will have full entitlement to business class entitlement
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
In this case I'm 100% sure the OP can enjoy J privileges because this isn't an op-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.