Wiki Posts
Search

CX/KA computer system are a mess

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

I just want to rant a bit. CX/KA computer systems are so messy right now it's downright ridiculous.

So many problems all over the place. For example most of my flights don't credit and I have to go the MPC desk to get it done. This is a hassle with a tight connection since I don't actually stop in HKG and the MPC desk is outside of immigration.

The next issue I can't do online check-ins anymore. Luckily I can call in to pick the seats I want, but it's annoying when they change aircraft and I have no idea where I am. I called them and they said it's that some of the systems are older than others, but it's like this for a couple months now. This hobbled network is silly for such an otherwise excellent airline.

I can't seem book the fare classes I want online anymore. I always buy at the minimum a V fare to get my Club miles, but online especially if the flight is empty throws me the useless S fare. Basically before I could choose the flexible date option, choose the booking class and I have a full list of the flights that are available. Now when I choose the flexible date options I can still choose the fare class, but not all the flight combinations show up anymore. The only way to choose the exact flights I want is to do the exact date travel in which I can the S fares, or call Reservations. Calling Reservations is easy, but paying with an Unionpay card after calling isn't. Only when I book online can I do Alipay; otherwise I have to go the ticketing office which usually takes me 40 minutes minutes due to traffic (and it's during my work day as the ticketing office is open only 9-5).

And another rant is after I book the ticket I get bombarded with ticket confirmations. It seems I get two of each (one from CX, another from KA) from Shanghai and then from Hong Kong offices. If I called MPC to do it, sometimes I get a set from Manila (MPC) too!

Okay enough yapping for me. Time to get drunk. Have a good night folks.

Last edited by alphaod; Oct 26, 2014 at 1:16 am Reason: Typo.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by alphaod
Calling Reservations is easy, but paying with an Unionpay card after calling isn't. Only when I book online can I do Alipay; otherwise I have to go the ticketing office which usually takes me 40 minutes minutes due to traffic (and it's during my work day as the ticketing office is open only 9-5).
I'm just curious, I know Unionpay is impossible over the phone and given CX.com's woes the website is hopeless, but will reservations take V/M/AE?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm just curious, I know Unionpay is impossible over the phone and given CX.com's woes the website is hopeless, but will reservations take V/M/AE?
Yeah they will take Visa, MasterCard, and Amex over the phone. You just need to present the card during check in. If you're booking for someone else, then you (as the payer) need to show the card at the ticketing office for them to remove the message on the booking.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: CX Gold
Yeah they will take Visa, MasterCard, and Amex over the phone. You just need to present the card during check in. If you're booking for someone else, then you (as the payer) need to show the card at the ticketing office for them to remove the message on the booking.
Alternatively if you have the online transaction authorised by AE SafeKey/Verified by Visa/MasterCard SecureCode you do not need to present the physical card at all.

Last edited by dunflyer; Oct 22, 2014 at 12:00 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:35 pm

My understanding is that Cathay is changing over its check in system to Amadeus. But rather than doing all in one day, they are doing it airport by airport, meaning a long time where they are using two systems, which isn't ideal
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunflyer
Alternatively if you have the online transaction authorised by AE SafeKey/Verified by Visa/MasterCard SecureCode you do not need to present the physical card at all.
Yeah, but they don't take Amex online for bookings in China.

And my whole complaint is I can't book the ticket class I want online, so I have to do it over the phone, hence the whole I have to verify my card at the counter hassle as well.

Originally Posted by peasant
My understanding is that Cathay is changing over its check in system to Amadeus. But rather than doing all in one day, they are doing it airport by airport, meaning a long time where they are using two systems, which isn't ideal
Whatever they're doing, it's making their booking systems a sad joke and it's not funny anymore. I guess it makes sense to spread it out a bit, but I would hope they're upgrading more than one airport at a time.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: TK *G, DL PL, Hyatt DM, SPG GO, HHonors GO, Marriott GO, IHG Ambassador
It's normal...

Good news is that they will have an entire renovation throughout 2015.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
You can still use AMEX for bookings in China. Just need to call CX and send in your ID and card copy.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

What is going on with KA/CX? JFK wasn't able to checkin for a KA connecting segment on a recent trip.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
It is unthinkable to have to call to book a ticket. But that was what I had to do! Been on hold "for an appropriate member of our team" for 49 minutes!

Why don't they make it possible to pay with credit cards from USA or from any place in the world? CX / KA is an international airline, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.