Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

F service expectations and shortcomings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I just arrived HKG-ORD, and had a very nice flight.

Service was friendly, attentive, and professional.

Suani (Indonesian, HK based), in particular, did a great job! I was very satisfied with the flight. Walked off fat and happy! :-)

I should note that The morning started poorly. I often do not arrive early to the airport in HK, so I am not incredibly familiar with the lounges. When I checked-in, they gave me a lounge pass, but never said a word about it. I could not remember the locations or differences between the lounges. I stopped at the CX customer service desk near gate 20 and asked about the lounges. The girl behind the counter said there are three, and I could just go to the one by my gate (gate 18)

So I walked down there, and saw it was a dragon air lounge. I was guessing it was not so nice, so I walked back to the next closest one, which was The Cabin. When I walked in I saw that it was just a basic lounge, so I asked at the counter about a first class lounge. They had me walk all the way down to The Wing.

So after spending 30 minutes walking around, I made it to The Wing, but was now short on time.

I ordered a breakfast, and after 20+ minutes it came out and was wrong. I only had another 20 minutes or so, and just decided to let it go. Someone who looked like a head waiter noticed I hadn't eaten the food and inquired why. I explained the problem. He offered to remake, but I explained I didn't think there was enough time. He insisted, and said he would rush it "5 minutes, no problem". I agreed, but 20 minutes later I had to go, so no breakfast.

When I boarded I made an offhand comment that I was starving. The FA asked why I didn't use the lounge, and I explained. She was really disturbed, and said she was going to take some notes. He ISM came over later and wanted specific details. They both seemed genuinely concerned.

After that, they seemed very intent on making this a great flight.

So whether the great services happened organically, or was instead prompted by the lounge experience, who know? Bottom line is that it was a nice flight.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Essential?

I've been with them since the early 1990s, in F and C, and have not had to use the call button - not even once. So definitely not essential.
Originally Posted by riced
Not sure what airlines you have been flying on. I've never had an issue using the call button on AA or DL for that matter. Mind you I was traveling in First Class. I suppose they may be a little less tolerant down back.
I will reply by quoting from another post in this thread:
Originally Posted by QRC3288
the best way I can describe CX service is "you have to go get it", and when you do go get it, it's excellent. Take the call light. I grew up in the US and was taught you never, EVER touch that call light. Well on CX, they expect you to bang away at it for service. It's a service light and expected to be used judiciously. When I hit it, rarely, if ever, do they not come immediately expecting to serve. It's something I had to get used to but now that I am I love it...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 pm
msm

I have always heard that with CX F service, you are paying to left alone and sleep. That there is a bias towards leaving you alone.

When you tap that call button, they will come sprinting down the aisle to take care of you, but you have to tap that call button.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Nice mods for splitting this out! Okay, now I can say more without going OT in the other thread.
Wow! What a detailed reply. Xiexie! ^

FA had no feedback after you said the steak was bad. Not sure what else she could've done....at least she said sorry!
What I had thought, and what others have suggested, is that the FA could've offered something more as a replacement. I would've preferred Chinese, but the Cathay Chinese choices always seem bland. I did have the steak on today's flight and it was pretty good. And in contrast to my first flight, the FA today came out shortly after I started eating to check on the doneness (rather than waiting until the end with some obligatory and insincere empty query at the end)

If one is not familiar with CX F, one would never know to request another meal.

Ran out of beer. To the point they ran out, this is flat bizarre. There is definitely Heineken in J and Y class galleys.
I learned about the beer today. They stock exactly 11 Heineken beers, something like 3 in F, 4 in J, and 4 in the back. I had mentioned to the FA how they always run out, so she went and collected them all. Of course, I felt obliged to drink them all. ;-)

11 does not seem like many for the whole plane. Would be pretty simple for FA or ISM to chat for a few minutes with each PAX in the beginning to see what they like, in an effort to make sure the needs were met. Just an idea.

Bedding process. The level of proactivity varies, but usually I find they are quite proactive in making my bed. That said, I could see a situation where if it was your first flight maybe you looked uncertain or they didn't know what to do, and they didn't proactively approach you. You should've asked! And btw, the duvet and such is located in the closet at your seat. But yes the FAs always make the bed for you.
The bedding process was much better this time, mostly because the FA explained the process during her introduction. Again, without having ever flown F, one would not necessarily know that to expect. To a newbie, offering to make the bed could be interpreted as pushing and holding the button to make the seat go flat. (That was not the case here... on my first flight they never offered anything)

Going back to J class to get food / no FAs in galley. Bizarre. This part of the story to me is utterly bizarre. Either a.) you had the worst F class FAs I've ever heard of, or perhaps you weren't totally familiar with the service standards, or something in-between where you didn't get the world's best crew, but perhaps you also may have acted outside their 'expectation range.'

To the points above...the best way I can describe CX service is "you have to go get it", and when you do go get it, it's excellent. Take the call light. I grew up in the US and was taught you never, EVER touch that call light. Well on CX, they expect you to bang away at it for service. It's a service light and expected to be used judiciously. When I hit it rarely, if ever, do they not come immediately expecting to serve. It's something I had to get used to but now that I am I love it.
Perhaps I should've been more clear regarding the FA's in the galley; when I would walk up there to get a beer or something, they were not there a few times. (ie. 10 trips to galley, 3 or 4 times not there.) I asked the FA today about it, and she said that will happen at times. One might be resting, and the other is called to the cockpit (which can happen for a variety of reasons.). It is not as if I pushed the CALL button and they did not respond.

And to that point... I too was raised in the USA, and just can't bring myself to push that button. Everyone says they come quick -- as if the button activates a shock collar -- but it just feels too awkward.

==> Mike

Last edited by Gongzuokuang; Oct 24, 2014 at 2:24 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Interesting report by the OP.

I agree with the steak! The one we had ex HKG last month was pretty bad.

Perhaps there is scope for CX to recognise first time flyers (like BA does) and to offer them more of an introduction to the flight?

But that being said, for many of the points raised by the OP there is a pretty good explanation... it is the CX way of doing things. And for most people that works perfectly. First class is all about a personalised experience and they let you decide what you want to do, and when. If you just want a burger for the second meal service, they'll probably assume that's all you want!

But a shame for the OP, as once you get the hang of it, CX is right up there with the best in the world. And a marked step up from business class.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
11 beers on the whole plane? I find that hard to believe.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Not 11 beers total... 11 Heineken's.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
My wife always, and I mean ALWAYS gets a survey in F on CX, and this has been going on for years (at least since 1995).
I hadn't realized we are married!

But clearly, you're describing me. I do like these pens, though.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

Out of curiosity, when someone travels in CX F for the first time how are they supposed to know that service requires a push of the call button?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
I also think it's more likely than not that not all 11 of them will be consumed
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by flyer121
Out of curiosity, when someone travels in CX F for the first time how are they supposed to know that service requires a push of the call button?
I appreciate FT is kind of USA focused... but I think most others in the world would know the call button is there for that reason.

As a non USA citizen I use the call button on USA airlines and have never been reprimanded for it. If I fly coach I rarely use the call button anyway, preferring to snag a flight attendant when they walk through the cabin. I appreciate they are busy so don't want to trouble them. But the crew in F are somewhat less busy outside of meal times.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
In general it seems like it is better to opt for the food item of the native country of the carrier. Honestly, beef (outside of South Korea) is not a very common protein in Asia, so I typically opt for the native dishes. I'd say most others would agree with this tactic.

I do feel CX F tends to be more hands off. However, in my limited experience of 4 flights, I noticed the FAs made an active effort to make sure I was well fed and liquored up. If I was ever awake mid flight they always offered to bring me a snack.

Also, I think the true crime was ordering heineken, not that they ran out.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exmike
Also, I think the true crime was ordering heineken, not that they ran out.
As for the beer selection itself...Heineken is not exactly up there with the world's fine brews IMO....this is a shortcoming of CX F and other intl F classes IMO. Beer selection is stuck in the 1990s and sucks. BA used to have Sierra Nevada in the ex-SFO lounge which CX used, and I used to pocket a few for drinking in-flight. You're not supposed to bring your own booze on but whether or not you can get away with a beer or two of your own YMMV. Some FAs will turn a blind eye or even refrigerate it for you if you're an elite. Others stick to the rulebook. If you see a beer you like in the lounge - this goes for most F carriers - you're better off bringing it on board and seeing if they'll let you drink it.
+1 and +1! :-)

Actually, I'm OK with Heineken as a fallback, especially when the only other choice was Carslberg. I most definitely agree the beer selection is stuck in the 90's. And as a side note, I am surprised no Tsingtao option (certainly not the best, but at least a little local flavor!)

I'd be more than happy to acquire and carry on my own. But I'm not sure how to smuggle on a 12-pack.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by yohy?!
Yikes! Which airlines specifically? If an FA tried that on me on any airline they would certainly get a curt reminder of their role in customer service!
I've always been reminded that they are primarily there for your safety in the US. Beverage and food service comes secondary to your safety. Which is why they will generally sit in the galley and read a book or gossip, for your safety.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:49 am
Suspended

In fairness to CX the F service is one of the best I have used over the last 8 years. Always there if you want something and never in your face. I do not think it fair to come close to comparing the staff with an American airlines staff. I dont think I have wanted to eat a full meal let alone attack the menu all the times I have flown F, people who travel as much as I do and are used to the benefits of F class enjoy the peace and quiet it offers with a guaranteed rest apart from all the very annoying announcements they make every time the seat belt sign goes on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.