Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best onward east coast/Midwest connecting airport

Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond

Just wondering what FT'ers opinions are on which East Coast/Midwest US airport is the best for connecting onwards on an AA flight from CX, for business class passengers.

Taking into consideration staffing, lounges, airport layout, and arrival/departure times.

JFK, EWR, BOS, ORD?

Thank you

Last edited by craig44485; Oct 18, 2014 at 9:31 pm Reason: Incorrect information, removed ATL
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I would say it really depends on nowhere you want to go. JFK tend to be the one I choose for the CX flight provided the number of frequencies. However, there might be limited AA domestic flights out of JFK. ATL wouldn't really work since CX doesn't fly there and it's a DL hub. EWR and BOS might not either because of the late CX arrival into those airports. Again, I would first look at which airport would creat the most convenient connection because IMO, spending 5 extra hours at a decent airport doesn't come close to beating spending 5 more hours at where you need to be
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
JFK>ORD>EWR>BOS
EWR has way too few AA flights.
BOS arrival time is too late to make any same-day connections.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by mediator
JFK>ORD>EWR>BOS
Doesn't ORD have more domestic flights than JFK? And ORD has two daily CX flights now.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Without an indication of what your final destination is, this is a difficult question to answer in a vacuum.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Final destination is PIT.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mediator
JFK>ORD>EWR>BOS
ORD>>>JFK>EWR>BOS

I don't know why there's this impression that AA has a big operation at JFK. They don't, most AA domestic feed into NYC goes to LGA, their JFK operation is mostly LHR, LAX and SFO. DL and JB both have big domestic operations at JFK, and JB is an interline partner with CX, but the OP asked specifically about AA and JB doesn't fly JFK-PIT.

CX806 is well timed for making domestic connections from ORD to pretty much anywhere. For HKG-PIT (CX->AA), the 1-connection choices would be CX806-AA4246, giving an ample 3 hour connection at ORD and two backup connections to PIT in case of delay (AA 4331 and AA4338), or CX830-AA3231, a much tighter 2:05 connection, with only one flight per day onto PIT from JFK. I guess if there's a delay, the OP can hop a cab to LGA and get on US, and there's always Amtrak.

Another reasonable option for HKG-PIT would be to route via LAX CX884-AA1250, though this would not be my preferred routing due to a long connection at LAX (5 hours), the long LAX-PIT flight on a 738 and LAX is a PIA for international->domestic connections.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I would echo the above. JFK may be great for HKG frequency, but it's not really an AA hub. The last time I returned from PIT to HKG, I had to take Delta for the first leg, which gets you into the current construction nightmare that is T2(3?).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the opinions and advice. Actual trip is MNL HKG ORD PIT in Business a Class. Trip is in late December returning mid January. Booked CX806, but after had second thoughts about possible bad weather at ORD. Wife and I will spend 2 days in Chicago before we fly to PIT, the return will be direct, PIT ORD HKG MNL.

Currently DL DM, have not booked the ORD PIT ORD tickets yet. Still undecided as to whther book with DL ORD PIT ORD, or AA. Living in SE Asia, MNL, decided to make the shift to CX, would there be less issues as far as checked baggage in choosing AA over say DL? Would DL interline the checked bags and check them through all the way to MNL for us?

Flying DL I know all too well the headaches of JFK, but have never been in T7, did use the former Oasis lounge, now the Wing, and thought it much better than DL SkyClubs. The longer flight to EWR also intrigued me, but the arrival time does not make for easy connections.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by fpc552
LAX is a PIA for international->domestic connections.
While LAX does have the distinction of having given the worst arrival experience to me (from a CX flight ~2h in the immigration queue and another long queue at customs), it has also given me the fastest transfer to an AA domestic flight- joint first with JFK. Last 2 arrivals at LAX and once this year at JFK-First in queue for immigration, and bags waiting at the belt.

Things have definitely improved for LAX, though re clearing security @departures is a bummer (the same for other points though).

While the hop from TBIT to AA's terminal may seem like a pain, imho it's quite decent if you walk, rather than take a shuttle.

Departures - well, those were still a PITA with long TSA queues..though the terminal is a lot nicer now.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:11 pm

baggage allowances

If you are booking a separate ticket ORD-PIT-ORD, if it will also be in premium cabin, there should be no issue about checked baggage.

If that portion will be in economy, your DL status will help you with checked baggage fees.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
In the case that your final destination is PIT, I believe that ORD is the only gateway with direct flights
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fpc552
If you are booking a separate ticket ORD-PIT-ORD, if it will also be in premium cabin, there should be no issue about checked baggage.

If that portion will be in economy, your DL status will help you with checked baggage fees.
Flying Business Class on CX, and F on AA or DL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.