Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

In flight sleep strategy 1am departure ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL NWA UA

If you leave from the USA east coast or midwest (Like ORD), what's the sleep strategy if you wish to be functional on the day you arrive? Flying J in 2 weeks; looks like CX808 has been flying polar route lately so arriving early (dunno if that makes a difference)

I can usually sleep for 8 or 9 hours in my bed but heck this flight is 15. So is it stay up as long as you can until utterly exhausted and hope you sleep as close to arrival as possible?

Or sleep the 8, wake up at HKG local time 12-1am, take a nap at arrival lounge if flight arrives 5am (polar route)?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by FL2009
If you leave from the USA east coast or midwest (Like ORD), what's the sleep strategy if you wish to be functional on the day you arrive? Flying J in 2 weeks; looks like CX808 has been flying polar route lately so arriving early (dunno if that makes a difference)

I can usually sleep for 8 or 9 hours in my bed but heck this flight is 15. So is it stay up as long as you can until utterly exhausted and hope you sleep as close to arrival as possible?

Or sleep the 8, wake up at HKG local time 12-1am, take a nap at arrival lounge if flight arrives 5am (polar route)?
Well, you won't sleep the first two hours on flight anyway if you choose to eat at their meal time. Right after take-off they started the first meal service. So say a good 3 hours into flight after you've eaten then you sleep a good 9 hours. That's 12 hours, and then you wake up just in time for second meal service and landing. That's usually my strategy if I am in J.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
CX807 departs 1530 arrives 2020 next day
I left an hour late due to late arriving flight
this might be a better choice
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I fly YYZ HKG that leaves at 0140. I get up late on departure day, then stay awake on board until about 8 a.m. YYZ time, or 8 p.m. HKG time, then sleep 8 hours to 4 am HKG time, have breakfast and then arrive on HKG local time.

Going back on the 1030 am flight I get up early in HKG, then take a triazolam to sleep at say 2 a.m. Toronto time such that I wake up in sort of YYZ time. West is easier than eastward, that's for sure.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC Green, DL Gold, TG ROP Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
CX807 departs 1530 arrives 2020 next day
I left an hour late due to late arriving flight
this might be a better choice
Just out of curiosity, what would be the best sleep strategy for CX807? And would the timing of CX's catering on this flight affect it? Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
well on 807 you have your dinner about 1730 USA time watch a few movies and go to sleep at US normal time
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
well on 807 you have your dinner about 1730 USA time watch a few movies and go to sleep at US normal time
But if you sleep and arrive the next day at night wouldn't you essentially still be jetlagged?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:07 am

I usually try to get on a late flight. Don't get up early on the departure day. Stay awake on the flight for 2-3 hours. Take 2 melatonin with desert. Sleep. If I wake up keep eyes closed and sleep as much as possible. Stay active (sunlight, outside) after arrival, take 1 melatonin around 9 pm and go to bed.
For me this works best with jetlag.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:24 pm

We are all different, so having said that I will give you my schedule, as I have flown from LAX to HKG about 10 times in the last few years (sadly, in economy), leaving around 22:00 to midnight.

At LAX I drink two strong martinis (in place of melatonin), eat dinner on the flight as said they will feed you right away, watch a bad movie, then take two tylenol PM's, and get some sleep.

I think the best option is to stay awake as long as possible after takeoff - that allows you to be so tired at the back end of the flight that you can get some sleep, and you will wake up feeling more refreshed.

Good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FL2009

while everyone is different - I think it is good advice to just sleep when you are tired.

trying to force yourself awake on flights can mean when you think you should sleep it may not be possible (either you're feeling 'awake' or you could even be over-tired). or there could be turbulence or a baby crying or whatever.

getting sleep when you feel tired means at least you get some sleep rather than potentially getting none.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
while everyone is different - I think it is good advice to just sleep when you are tired.
I agree. Quite generally, are two components to jet lag: sleep deprivation and time change. You can't do anything about the time change, but try to minimize sleep deprivation. Sleep as much as you can, whenever you can. Don't fight sleep or you'll probably end up with less sleep than otherwise.

You cannot really put sleepiness in the bank and use all of it later; some of it goes away. Or think of it as being like cake: eat it when it is offered, because later it might all be gone.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 1, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.