Wiki Posts
Search

Early Access to Terminal 5 ORD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

+1 on going AA.

You will have protection, even on separate tickets (AA's published policy).

In theory, it's the carrier that gets delayed that needs to rebook you, so if CX inbound is delayed it's up to CX to protect you or not, but I would not worry. Just call up CX and AA and cross reference the PNRs, CX will check bags through to PIT (and likely issue boarding passes too- and it's oneworld policy that you will be protected once you're checked through, irrespective of carrier, though I think CX and AA go above and beyond on this matter).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thank you for the info guys. AA F is priced right around DL F for ORD PIT ORD. Guess we will give AA a shot.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by techblr
Curious but why cant you do OLCI?
They allow online check-in, but do not allow you to do the boarding pass. I still have the paperwork from a few months ago... says "System Error. We apologise (sic) that the Self-Print Board Pass / Mobile Boarding Pass service is not available. Please approach our airport counters for assistance [CUPAC_SPBP_0762]"

Other PAX in line had same issue, except those who were flying on AA tix!

When I called the MP club this time to book, I asked again about it, and they said they wanted you to check-in at the counter.

Crazy... I know.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Advice here is most appreciated! :-)

I've learned a bit.

I did not think that the first leg of the trip made any difference, given that it was on a different carrier. I assumed if there were problems getting to ORD on time, that it was MY problem, regardless of the carrier.

Of course, I understand that if I had booked the entire trip using AA miles, that it would be on the same ticket, and there might be some help if IRROPS. But I wasn't able to do that. And I'm not sure I fully understand how they'd be able to help anyway. I can't picture them holding the plane!

I basically thought if the flight doesn't make it, then it's nothing but disaster ahead!

To protect myself, I just try to get there plenty early. And I ALSO booked a fully refundable ticket on the next Delta flight as a hedge against that next flight being full should the earlier flight have some sort of significant delay or problem.

Am I hearing that I would be a little more protected if I had instead booked the DTW-ORD flight on AA?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:09 am

Yep!

Here's AA's policy:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booking_Ticketing/Reaccom/oneworld_tkt_policy.jsp

As mentioned in another thread, I'll post the response I got from oneworld whether this is alliance-wide, once I get to a PC - soo ! (it's not, but you're protected if checked through).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by craig44485
Thank you for the info guys. AA F is priced right around DL F for ORD PIT ORD. Guess we will give AA a shot.
To be honest, I'd just take coach on that sector, given the length- if/once you have oneworld status, lounge access (which you will have in this case with the CX bp/ticket), baggage allowance and MCE access for free (Emeralds), just make paying up for first, esp on short sectors, pointless.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

They won't necessarily hold the CX plane for you. But they will aim to rebook you on the next available flight if you miss the AA-CX connection, as opposed to treating you as a no-show subject to a fee.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
AA will tag your bag to your destination on CX via Terminal 5 and will issue you a boarding pass for CX -I just did it from Atlanta - ORD - HKG
Flying F internally in USA gets you a wider seat and little else if you already have tier status for the Admirals Club entry (free wifi, free calorie soft drinks and coffee,free pretzels, pay USD 9.95 if you want a sandwich or a beer) On AA F inflight you get an orange juice and bag of pretzels then the flight attendant disappears for the rest of the flight
In ORD CX shares the British Airways Lounge (poorly signposted) The ORD BA F lounge is tiny and get there early if you want a sandwich
When I was there last week the dishwasher had flooded the floor near the kitchen and the lights and electricity were going on and off so I had to resort to the bubbly to calm my nerves
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:13 pm

On my numerous flights in USA with AA-CX over the last few years, I had never had any problem with AA printing out BP for me.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
On my numerous flights in USA with AA-CX over the last few years, I had never had any problem with AA printing out BP for me.
This is usually my experience, too, although I've have a couple times where for whatever reason they weren't able to. I think it's a lot easier for them if you've called ahead of time to link the PNRs (assuming you've booked separate tickets).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:53 pm

So will my J boarding pass get me into both the AA club and the BA J club at ORD?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

So will my J boarding pass get me into both the AA club and the BA J club at ORD?
Yes.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Yes.
Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
No status with AA, DIamond Medallion with DL, If we fly AA in F from ORD PIT ORD, would we have access to the AA lounges there at ORD? We already have our CX tickets, can the AA F tickets be added on if we purchase online? What type of equipment is AA using for ORD PIT?

How is the BA J lounge at ORD. Food options?
You will have access to the Admiral's Club (ex-US Club) at PIT when departing from an AA FLT (Y or F) if connecting to a CX FLT in J or F. See http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access, section "oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers," which has the rule for "Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights." Unfortunately, there's no lounge operated by OW at DTW so it doesn't quite apply.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
You will have access to the Admiral's Club (ex-US Club) at PIT when departing from an AA FLT (Y or F) if connecting to a CX FLT in J or F. See http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access, section "oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers," which has the rule for "Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights." Unfortunately, there's no lounge operated by OW at DTW so it doesn't quite apply.
Thank you. Will have to locate the Admiral's Club in PIT. Benn flying DL out of PIT for years, no SkyClub there. Will be nice to have a place to relax in rather than sitting at the gate waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.