Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can't manage CX reservation booked with AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

I booked my first ever CX J trip using AA miles yesterday (for travel today)-- and while I was able to check-in online using the booking reference I got from AA, I am unable to manage my booking using the same booking reference on the CX website.

Is it because it's too close to departure? I tried checkmytrip.com and the Finnair website too, they couldn't pull up the reservation either.

Interested in doing this so I can change my seat on the return.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

With AS award redemptions CX has its own unique locator. Perhaps this is the case with AA awards? I'd give AA a call for the record locator.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by transparent
I booked my first ever CX J trip using AA miles yesterday (for travel today)-- and while I was able to check-in online using the booking reference I got from AA, I am unable to manage my booking using the same booking reference on the CX website.

Is it because it's too close to departure? I tried checkmytrip.com and the Finnair website too, they couldn't pull up the reservation either.

Interested in doing this so I can change my seat on the return.
So do it at the airport. They can access your reservation there. CX restricts access to bookings not made by them unless you can stick in an Asia Miles or MPC number.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

CX restricts access but one can still access the seat map online with the CX PNR.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
So do it at the airport. They can access your reservation there. CX restricts access to bookings not made by them unless you can stick in an Asia Miles or MPC number.
Originally Posted by beckoa

CX restricts access but one can still access the seat map online with the CX PNR.
What kind of restriction does CX put?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
1. Too close to departure.

2. Even if it weren't, you would need the CX record locator. AA res will give this to you on the phone if you ask.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Every time I book a CX award with AA miles I ask them for the CX PNR before I finish up the phone call.

I've never had any issues accessing my reservation on the CX website and selecting seats after that
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
What kind of restriction does CX put?

IME, no access to passenger contact or travel document details.
As others have said, OK for seat selection.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:16 am

I've been able to access with ETKT # and full name and flight number....to change seatss
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by DH188
IME, no access to passenger contact or travel document details.
As others have said, OK for seat selection.
Eh...yes that's right. In this case, it's because the PAX is not AM / MPO member AND the TKT is not issued on 160 or 043 stock. Source of booking is irrelevant, though (i. e., bookings made by TAs are perfectly fine).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa

I had the exact situation. I can't change seats using CX web, called MPC and they told me they can't assign seats because it's AA issued award tickets. Called AA and AA said they can only "request" them but not guarantee them. Called back CX, CX says yes the seats are up in grabs and the requests won't be process until date of departure, meaning the chances of having your seats requested assigned to you is next to nil.

Lesson learned: if you are traveling as a family and split tickets with CX and AA you are asking for trouble.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Thanks everyone-- I had thought I could look up the CX record locator using checkmytrip or Finnair, but was able to get the record locator after calling AA and was able to use it to change my seat on the CX website.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by transparent
Thanks everyone-- I had thought I could look up the CX record locator using checkmytrip or Finnair, but was able to get the record locator after calling AA and was able to use it to change my seat on the CX website.
If it's AA reward ticket your seats won't be guaranteed. I would check from time to time and you will not be surprise if your seat number changed.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
If it's AA reward ticket your seats won't be guaranteed. I would check from time to time and you will not be surprise if your seat number changed.
I've booked ~10 or so CX awards with AA and always had my seat res stick? Maybe I'm just lucky
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:33 am

I recently booked a F outbound/J return award on CX using AA miles and I got the CX record locator from the AA agent. I was able to access my reservation on the CX website but was I able to update seats only for the J leg. The "Update" button wasn't even shown for the F segment seat.

I learned in another post that I can also modify seat selection by using the Qatar's Manage my Booking section using the CX PNR. Sure enough, I was able to select a new F seat, which was subsequently reflected on the CX website. This time around the Update button is now available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.