Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

APEC Businesss Mobility Card use in USA

Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980

Diamond/Emerald travelling to Chicago (CX Biz) & on to Atlanta (AA F) next week & return on same route
Not happy to find CX offers NO Fast Track option from ORD terminal 5 departure to HKG, only BA offers this
There seems to be a major conflict of advice/information on whether I can use my APEC travel card for fast track clearance on Intl arrival (& departure) in Chicago USA.
The APEC site states:
http://travel.apec.org/abtc-summary.html
United States “APEC Cardholders are entitled to use ’fast-track’ immigration lanes (which in most instances is the air-crew lane) upon entry at all international airports.”

Whereas Cathay Pacific MPO Club lady states:
“We have contacted Chicago Airport and we have been told that it is not allowed using APEC Business Travel (card) to use the aircrew immigration counter in Terminal 5”
Anyone any experience of the real story pls ?

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-...66F477B8C6DB1F

Chicago, O'Hare - Terminal 5 Service: Fast Track
Carriers: Emerald members traveling on flights operated and marketed by the following carriers
BRITISH AIRWAYS
oneworld benefits are available only to top tier frequent flyers of the oneworld airlines when travelling on flights that are both operated and marketed by a oneworld member airline. Fast track security lanes are not available at all airports.
Due to restrictions or local agreements with Security Fast Track facility operators, not all oneworld carriers are currently able to extend this benefit to all Emerald tier customers.

Last edited by Marco Polo; Aug 25, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Yes, I have experience of this. APEC website is correct and Marco Polo is feeding you BS.

APEC doesn't do anything for departure as there is no immigration check.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by midlevels
Yes, I have experience of this. APEC website is correct and Marco Polo is feeding you BS.

APEC doesn't do anything for departure as there is no immigration check.
Thanks for that
I hav'nt been in US for a while
I used to fly thru Vancouver and use the downstairs entry into USA immigration counter
I am more concerned with the damn queue for security on departure from Ord to HK
Last time I was in USA they called a 'Rambo' when a Korean guy wandered thru security without heeding their requests (that was their alarm announcement shout 'Rambo') and we were all stuck there like lemons for 30 minutes while they pounced on the guy and general disorganized melee
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:03 pm

Basically APEC entitles you to use aircrew lanes at all US immigration points. Places like ORD are aware of this and will have signage as well. You should have no issues at ORD. I last used my APEC card at ORD around 5 months back, and have done so few times before that too.

The benefit is also available at US preclearance points like YYZ for example but these points may not have it clearly marked and due to the small numbers of APEC travellers using preclearance at Canadian airports, people (including the US CBP officials) may not know what APEC is. Once at YYZ T1 I found myself in an argument with US CBP officials over my entitlement to use the aircrew lane. It was a bit tense, but it was an argument that I eventually won.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:05 am

I should mention one point - that if you are travelling on holiday or for other non-business related reasons, if you use the aircrew lane you may be challenged at the counter and sent back to stand in the main queue.

This almost happened to me once at LAX when I was travelling on holiday and used the aircrew lane to save time. The CBP lady allowed me through in the end but said that in the future I should only use the APEC card privileges when actually travelling for business (which is not unreasonable).

Other countries don't seem to care at all about the purpose of your trip. Holidays are fine. Many a time I have got the evil eye from other travellers at immigration counters in holiday cities when I walk past the often horrendously long immigration queues straight to the diplomatic lane with my family in tow. More than a few times at smaller airports (in places like China/Philippines/Malaysia), there was no special counter and they happily opened a new counter for me.

At BKK, it gets even better because with APEC card you can use the aircrew security and immigration which is totally separate from the regular crowd and at busy times can easily save upwards of half an hour. I discovered this by accident once when I was travelling with family and I had my APEC card out and the BP checking staff proactively led me to a secluded and totally empty private security queue with dedicated immigration desks.

Moral of post: In US, use it only for business. Other places, don't feel shy to flaunt the card and take advantage of the benefits it offers!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
I should mention one point - that if you are travelling on holiday or for other non-business related reasons, if you use the aircrew lane you may be challenged at the counter and sent back to stand in the main queue.

This almost happened to me once at LAX when I was travelling on holiday and used the aircrew lane to save time. The CBP lady allowed me through in the end but said that in the future I should only use the APEC card privileges when actually travelling for business (which is not unreasonable).

Other countries don't seem to care at all about the purpose of your trip. Holidays are fine. Many a time I have got the evil eye from other travellers at immigration counters in holiday cities when I walk past the often horrendously long immigration queues straight to the diplomatic lane with my family in tow. More than a few times at smaller airports (in places like China/Philippines/Malaysia), there was no special counter and they happily opened a new counter for me.

At BKK, it gets even better because with APEC card you can use the aircrew security and immigration which is totally separate from the regular crowd and at busy times can easily save upwards of half an hour. I discovered this by accident once when I was travelling with family and I had my APEC card out and the BP checking staff proactively led me to a secluded and totally empty private security queue with dedicated immigration desks.

Moral of post: In US, use it only for business. Other places, don't feel shy to flaunt the card and take advantage of the benefits it offers!
Had a similar experience at LAX. Was flying in for an Easter weekend, so not really for work. The DHS guy checking passports in the APEC line yells to the pax in line - "Are you all coming in on business?! If not, get out." A few of us in line discreetly changed the "Purpose of Visit" part of the landing card before getting to the front of the line.

Not a friendly guy. I hate TBIT @ LAX.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Many a time I have got the evil eye from other travellers at immigration counters in holiday cities when I walk past the often horrendously long immigration queues straight to the diplomatic lane with my family in tow.

Huge time saver in Bali. Was there 2 weeks ago, and the regular line seemed to be taking 30-40 mins. APEC line: 1 minute.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Diamond/Emerald travelling to Chicago (CX Biz) & on to Atlanta (AA F) next week & return on same route
Not happy to find CX offers NO Fast Track option from ORD terminal 5 departure to HKG, only BA offers this
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
I am more concerned with the damn queue for security on departure from Ord to HK
The big thing BA offers that CX doesn't is an airside connection bus from T3 to T5. It's a bizarre omission given that CX presumably relies on a good bit of AA connecting traffic to fill these flights....

The good news for OP is that although no security fasttrack is available for status pax at T5, it is available for J and F, so you'll have access as a departing CX J pax. IME, the time savings can be considerable.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:01 am

For those that travel to Indonesia and Vietnam, can you advise if HK ABCT holders [APEC card] includes both fast track and pre-clearance? For the latter, specifically, are we required to secure VOA in Indonesia and/or visa for Vietnam?

The website isn't clear on this, thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
For those that travel to Indonesia and Vietnam, can you advise if HK ABCT holders [APEC card] includes both fast track and pre-clearance? For the latter, specifically, are we required to secure VOA in Indonesia and/or visa for Vietnam?

By getting the APEC card you get a three year visa for all countries covered, so no, you don't need a VOA for Vietnam or Indonesia (or China or Russia, etc etc).

On a side note, at Penang it seems they don't care too much about priority lanes as they seem to let anyone use these lanes.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by theworld
By getting the APEC card you get a three year visa for all countries covered, so no, you don't need a VOA for Vietnam or Indonesia (or China or Russia, etc etc).
Correct but you also need to ensure that the three letter country code for your destination country is printed on the back of your APEC card. If not you will still need to get a visa, or your APEC card updated with the country name if that pre-clearance has come through since the last issuance.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by dtsm

Vietnam does have a separate queue for ABTC holders (both on arrival and departure) but it's not always enforced - any even without it you shouldn't have to wait very long.

The fast track in BKK is a good benefit as queues there can sometimes be long. As I recall, they didn't complain when I used it for a holiday trip (with my family).
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:02 am

FYI:

http://www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html

"No need to individually apply for visas or entry permits each time you travel to any of the participating APEC economies as the card is your visa."
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Discussions are getting both off topic and unrelated to CX. Please stay on topic and be CX-related.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.