Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy costlier than Prem Econ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Economy costlier than Prem Econ

Just was looking at JFK to YVR (CX 889) for Sept 2 One way....Economy standard (booking in H) is USD 709 while Premium Economy Standard (booking in E) is USD 567...
Miles earned is Higher in E than H.
Dont fully understand the pricing rationale behind this...

Any ideas??
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
This isn't that unusual an issue in the airline world. If you look at the conditions for the fares, you'll discover that the H fare is probably less restrictive in terms of changes permitted, fees, etc than the E fare. So pax can opt to book the E in this case if they want to, at the price of giving up flexibility they'd have with the H in exchange for the more comfortable seat at that price.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Exactly.

For close in flights, I frequently see Economy close to selling out with only a couple full fare refundable Y fares available where as Prem Econ often still has the cheapest E fare buckets available. Thus PremEcon is cheaper than Econ... if you must travel on that specific flight and don't need the increased flexibility rules of a higher fare class, then it's a no brainer to buy PremEcon for cheaper than Econ.

If buying tickets far in advance cheapest PremEcon fares tends to have a big 50-70% price premium over the cheapest Econ fares though.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:37 pm

Also, some people can be affected by the corporate travel policy that means they cannot take W even though it is cheaper than Y.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
And sometimes J will be cheaper than PY as well.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
In fact, even lowest (promotional) fare business is usually higher than full fare economy. It is not unusual. As said by another poster, there can be reasons why people will still take the more expensive economy fare, e.g., corporate policy. My company is like that too, but they only distinguish economy, business and first. They treat premium economy as economy and let our TA apply the lowest logical fare (economy or premium economy) for employees traveling on economy class.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
flexibility comes at a cost. I too faced with similar situation... E class to SYD being cheaper than K class... ended up buying K class but I changed flight about 3 times so cost of change etc far outweigh the E fare plus restriction...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
They treat premium economy as economy and let our TA apply the lowest logical fare (economy or premium economy) for employees traveling on economy class.
Urgh, my company's bean counters count PE as luxury class, urgh...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Urgh, my company's bean counters count PE as luxury class, urgh...
Hopefully the bean counters can soon realize that they may actually save by counting PE as Y. By viewing them as separate, both the company and the employees may lose out, and the airlines can make more money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.