Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J/PEY Fanfares offer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by go_around
Hyper-consumption, or extreme shopping. Nothing unsavoury.
I visited HK when the Brits controlled. I enjoyed "shopping" for custom suits and shirts and Dunhill products. Have the bargains disappeared since the lease expired?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by percysmith
What strategy is there except "Getting there firstest with the mostest"?

I've drafted the wife to make sure both our computers are fully manned (and to get her of her bum for once).

But even with an extra pair of hands In any case I'm 90% certain I'll come up empty handed. Probably there'll be bots.
We humans are still smarter than bots. If you are free, you know where to find me (not the place your wife would disapprove of).

As for the Japan shopping thing, ladies seem to dig the concept. Sure, the stuff is all made in dongguan, but buying it in Japan wins many social points.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
While CX may not make a profit on the airfares for this promotion, if you consider it as a marketing exposure effort, I would argue that the "bang for the buck" should earn someone a bonus.

Now how do you get a postal forwarding address in Hong Kong?

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by go_around
Fair enough. Not sure about the KIX and NGO predictions though. Hong Kongers are obsessed with Japan, many go there several weekends per year for "shopping" (what else...?).
plenty. not a lot for the next door HKie tho. how about ecotourism to discover wasabi?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:43 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
While CX may not make a profit on the airfares for this promotion, if you consider it as a marketing exposure effort, I would argue that the "bang for the buck" should earn someone a bonus.

Now how do you get a postal forwarding address in Hong Kong?

Happy wandering

Fred
How would they even verify your address? I know NH sends you a physical card and cancels your account if it gets returned, but CX doesn't do that. What's to stop Barack Obama telling AM his residential address is Cathay City, Lantau, Hong Kong?

I was originally registered as an Australian AM member but now I live in HK. I don't recall the last time AM snail mailed something to me, their fault for going all electronic.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 am

How would they even verify your address?
They don't verify anything.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+, CA Gold, SQ Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by moondog
Thanks for the words or encouragement, sir. I'm almost willing to guarantee you that at least one FTer will snag something better than TPE.

Following are my thoughts/predictions:

-ORD and EWR are the top prizes (LHR's all in price is within the range of a normal ticket)
-MLE is kind of silly for anyone who contemplates saving money on airfare, but gone by 10:00
-SYD will sell out pretty quickly (9:00), but that's kind of a niche market

-KIX and NGO will probably last until noon (if you don't have friends in Japan, there's not much point in going)
-BKK and KUL will be gone shortly after EWR, ORD, LHR, and SYD sell out (we all love going down there, and the chance to fly J without having to deal with business stuff is pretty nice)
-CEB will be around until 11:30 (this is just a gut impulse)
All tickets should be gone within 10~15 minutes
IIRC, they had some $50 fanfares when they sold 3 million(?) or 1st anniversary of fanfares; and all of them were gone in 13 minutes to be exact.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:17 pm

Are these all direct flights?

Someone on another forum said that the EWR flight stops in YVR before arriving in EWR?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksFanatic
Are these all direct flights?

Someone on another forum said that the EWR flight stops in YVR before arriving in EWR?
They are mistaken.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:28 pm

They are mistaken.
Thanks for clearing that up!

So all flights are direct flights for the Aug 26 fanfare?

Is it a new destination every Tuesday?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:38 pm

Thanks for clearing that up!

So all flights are direct flights for the Aug 26 fanfare?

Is it a new destination every Tuesday?
They release new fan fares every week to around 10 destinations, but the prices usually aren't enticing enough to justify non-planned travel.

Around once per year, they run a very good promotion, and this is what's happening on Tuesday at 8a. As you can tell from this thread, it's more of a lottery than anything else.

Almost all CX flights are nonstop.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:03 am

They release new fan fares every week to around 10 destinations, but the prices usually aren't enticing enough to justify non-planned travel.

Around once per year, they run a very good promotion, and this is what's happening on Tuesday at 8a. As you can tell from this thread, it's more of a lottery than anything else.

Almost all CX flights are nonstop.
Completely agree on the lottery part! Good luck to both of us

In the past, has CX done any enticing fanfares from HKG to YVR(Vancouver)?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:10 am

Completely agree on the lottery part! Good luck to both of us

In the past, has CX done any enticing fanfares from HKG to YVR(Vancouver)?
Very rarely

http://content.offers.cathaypacific....4A7AFFB92B0E1E
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze
How would they even verify your address? I know NH sends you a physical card and cancels your account if it gets returned, but CX doesn't do that. What's to stop Barack Obama telling AM his residential address is Cathay City, Lantau, Hong Kong?

I was originally registered as an Australian AM member but now I live in HK. I don't recall the last time AM snail mailed something to me, their fault for going all electronic.
I received a physical card when I signed up to Asia Miles last year. Is the non-issue of a physical card a very recent thing?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:51 am

Maybe ours was collected by agent.

But unlike NH http://www.kvstool.com/FAQ.php?Source=HOME , CX won't nail AM accounts for returned cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.