Cebu "meal" service CX921/920

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Thumbs down Cebu "meal" service CX921/920

Earlier this month I flew CX921/920 to/from Cebu. Cabin flown was PE both ways.

CX921 was a 4pm departure from HKG and meal is shown as refreshments on GDS.

CX920 was an 8pm depature from CEB and meal is shown as dinner on GDS.

On CX921 there was a single-pass refreshments service consisting of a rectangular box with pastry/juice/fruit and a choice of pizza/noodles in another paper box. Drinks were on the cart but not actively proffered. One had to ask. I thought it was pretty disappointing service and certainly not what I've experienced before on other CX routes. I chalked it up to it being refreshments and not lunch/dinner.

I was wrong. CX920 was the same deal, except no drinks on the trolley at all and no offering of any drinks. One had to ask and they would go to the galley and get it. Food quality was awful. Probably wouldn't have realised if I finished the meal and continued to eat the paper box.

Meals in a paper box is not what I expect on a 2 hour plus flight on CX. Not in Economy and definitely not in PE.

I was really disappointed with catering on these flights. Is this the new normal on CX??
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:11 pm

Ah... just flew back to Hong Kong from Danang on KA (1:50 / 540 miles). Had the exact same service in the single-class A320 and I thought this paperbox meal was KA only. The dinner was Indonesian nasi goreng or beef with wine sauce over pasta, plus the box of fruits, juice and Kee Wah cookies. They only served bonaqua water but went to the galley at the back to ask for tea. The paper boxes appear to save time in food distribution, but not sure the crew has an easier time collecting the boxes and putting them in trash bins.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:05 am

Had the same paper box with awful orange juice on CX765/764 to/from Ho Chi Minh City. No drinks were offered although they were all there on the trolley.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I haven't flown the route in a while but is CX still serving the baugette sandwich with "meat" on the HKG-TPE route? That's really the lowlight of CX catering IMO.

I will take the paper box meal or noodles or pizza any day of the week instead of the baugette sandwich with "meat."
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I live in Cebu and this has been the normal routine for at least a couple of years.

I don't do much short haul aside from HKG-CEB. I just assumed all the CX short haul routes were the same.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I will take the paper box meal or noodles or pizza any day of the week instead of the baugette sandwich with "meat."
Ugh. Choice between bad and worse. CX and KA flights to PVG are shorter than CEB and on the PVG flights there is a proper meal service. Guess it's just down to route discrimination and what the bean counters think they can get away with.

Originally Posted by RevJim
I live in Cebu and this has been the normal routine for at least a couple of years.

I don't do much short haul aside from HKG-CEB. I just assumed all the CX short haul routes were the same.
Nope. I think most of the short haul routes have proper catering, unless something has changed. BKK is also similar length to CEB but has proper meals unless those have been cut too.

If the "Airline of the Year" serves this kind of rubbish then air travel as a whole is really going downhill, with CX leading the way.

Again, this meal offering was in PE - it wasn't even regular Y. Even for Y the meal was bad but for pax who paid a premium to fly PE it's outright insulting to serve this kind of stuff.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:48 am

Welcome to the new Cathay Pacific!

I guess Cebu is a low yield route so that is why the meal offering is poor.
Taipei is even worst with only a boxed rice/noodle with a boxed drink (Oolong Tea).

TPE is a short flight, so I can understand that beverage service is difficult to conduct, but MNL/SGN/CEB is different. Some kind of beverage service should be offered - even pre-poured juice/soft drinks/hot tea/coffee!

However, compared to other Asian airlines, CX actually often goes minimal with the crew, so that is why catering suffers. F/As are also not motivated to serve you some drinks.

Regional PE - I guess we keep on arguing the needs for CX to step up its meal offering on regional PE cabin, but with no real competitions, CX will not do anything. If SQ offers a premium economy cabin on those regional flights with upgraded meals, I am sure CX will match immediately! But for now, CX is sort of the only Asian carrier offering a PE cabin on these intra-Asian flights. So when you fly CX regional PE, don't expect better catering and you will be happier!

Carfield
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:09 am

KA from CCU, 4 hour flight in Y: inedible sandwich in a box, and the only drink offered is water.

I recall Indian Airlines (now Air India) used to be water-only; nowadays I believe even they do better than that. Yet CX/KA is supposed to be a top airline.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
I always request the AVML Indian Vegetarian meal on the Cebu flight given the disappointing normal food service. I fly J so Im not sure if the same meal is served in the other classes, but its a nice alternative.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
KA from CCU, 4 hour flight in Y: inedible sandwich in a box, and the only drink offered is water.
I see the pattern here. On routes where customers have no choice and have to fly CX/KA, they downgrade the product. Naturally, customers like myself who frequent the more competitive parts of the network rather than these special routes find the soft product horribly lacking when we get stuck on one of these flights.

As the Airline of the Year, they should really be delivering a consistent product network-wide, rather than having this situation where customers get the worst product that CX can get away with on any particular route.

However, as I write this, I'm now thinking that perhaps consistency may not be ideal as we'll get stuck with this paper box meal on all flights then?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
Ugh. Choice between bad and worse. CX and KA flights to PVG are shorter than CEB and on the PVG flights there is a proper meal service. Guess it's just down to route discrimination and what the bean counters think they can get away with.
As far as I know KA still serves a decent meal on its TPE/RMQ-HKG flights, even RMQ! Why not CX?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
I see the pattern here. On routes where customers have no choice and have to fly CX/KA, they downgrade the product. Naturally, customers like myself who frequent the more competitive parts of the network rather than these special routes find the soft product horribly lacking when we get stuck on one of these flights.
That's the thing: CX competes with CI and BR on HKG-TPE but they know that they can beat both CI and BR in terms of selling much cheaper tickets on this route and yet, they downgrade the offerings like no other. Granted, they do have full beverages upon request including beer, wine and such but I would think CX could do a better job of, at least, catering on this route.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:12 am

CX will not be able to downgrade the in-flight meal to/from BKK as it has TG and EK on its back, though it probably has the worst meal offering out of the 3. EK and TG meals have real appetizers (smoked fish or some protein on salad) + main (protein, fibre and starch) plus some form of cake/mousse. You can also get all sorts of drinks on EK and TG, as they are all on the cart.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:37 am

The food is really not very good on that route. Im not sure why
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
CX Manager Catering Services responds to a question on poor Y food offering in TPE flights in this month's CX World:
(http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c...pdf/CXW220.pdf)

Thank you for your feedback, which is highly appreciated. A considerable number of trials have been underway in the past months to review our Economy Class regional proposition notably on our ultra-short-haul sectors, where a lot of focus is placed on the constraints of the limited service times available.

Customer panels, along with passenger and crew feedback, have all been carefully measured, while a lot of work is being undertaken to review packaging options and the food content itself to meet our passengers expectations, while also being aware of our competitors offerings.

These trials are progressing well and we believe will conclude very soon with a catering proposition that is more premium and suitably appropriate.
Is CX finally conceding the fact that boxed meals are not premium enough for a premium airline?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.