Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Gate Checking Liquor for Flight to the U.S.

Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond

I will be flying CX from HKG to JFK in a few days. In F, if that matters.

On my last trip, the duty free store at HKG wouldn't sell me any alcohol because I was flying to the U.S. and the liquids won't make it through U.S. bound pre-departure security inspection.

I will have room in my roll-a-board for the two bottles I want to buy (they are limited edition Jack Daniels blends that are not sold in the U.S.). Will I have any luck getting CX to gate check that bag so I can avoid the pre-departure security inspection?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:46 am

Nope..You can't do a gate check. The US inspection is BEFORE the boarding gate. The security people will just confiscate your liquor (and drink it). I've tried it once..and it didn't work. You are not the first to think of this gate check-in trick....

But a round-about trick that I used was as follows :-

Step 1 : Go buy the liquor.
Step 2 : Go to the lounge and tell them that u want to go to the city.
Step 3: Clear immigration
Step 4 : Check in liquor at the first class check-in counter.
Step 5 : Clear Immigration
Step 6 : Enjoy the liquor in the US.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are the savings over US retail really that great so as to justify a 6-step process?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Yes. Especially if, like the OP said, bottles that aren't available in the U.S. I have done this a couple of times.

Always Flyin, you can also browse the CX Duty Free catalogue to see if you can buy those JD inflight: http://www.cathaypacific.com/dutyfre...ry+%26+Spirits
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
Nope..You can't do a gate check. The US inspection is BEFORE the boarding gate. The security people will just confiscate your liquor (and drink it). I've tried it once..and it didn't work. You are not the first to think of this gate check-in trick....

Thanks. I have a couple of hour connection from SIN so that would work. I have the expedited immigration so I don't have to worry about the queue.

Originally Posted by Often1
Are the savings over US retail really that great so as to justify a 6-step process?
Didn't even bother to read the original post, did you?

Originally Posted by dc.marathoner
Yes. Especially if, like the OP said, bottles that aren't available in the U.S. I have done this a couple of times.

Always Flyin, you can also browse the CX Duty Free catalogue to see if you can buy those JD inflight: http://www.cathaypacific.com/dutyfre...ry+%26+Spirits
Not available in the flight duty free catalog so I'll play the check-in landside option.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I feel sorry for the HKG staff have to do this unnecessary and non-emergency job that demand by the 'elite pax'.

You wouldn't try that at US airports would you?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
I feel sorry for the HKG staff have to do this unnecessary and non-emergency job that demand by the 'elite pax'.

pls explain?
anyways, i think the problem here is that they'll scan your BP anyways so u might still have to think outside of the box. maybe you tell them u'll check them in to the cargo hold?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Good luck OP. I hate to go slightly off-topic, but does anyone know why we have to through this clearance? For example, if you fly from Japan to the US, there is no such pre-boarding check. Is it HK-specific?

Does anyone have experience with other airlines out of HK to the US? United, AA, Delta? I'm assuming they all have the check?

What about PVG or PEK to the US?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:07 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by RA-wannabe

This is in violation of the law and considered as illegal smuggling even if you have outbound boarding passes, so proceed at your own risk. All passengers returning to landside for whatever reason is required to refund dutiable items to the duty-free shops. Unlike typical US airports, in HK you have passed outbound immigration and customs control once airside.

An alternative is to purchase the liquor at the inbound duty free shops just before immigration when you land in HKIA, bring it into the city and pack it with your bags.

Refer to Hong Kong Dutiable Goods Ordinance (Cap. 109) for more info
http://www.legislation.gov.hk/eng/home.htm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zqsn5678
I didn't cause this ridiculous situation. The situation requires that I utilize a creative solution. If that causes a minor source of work for staff, well that's how it is.

Besides, CX does so little ground handling for F and C passengers, I don't feel too guilty for taking a miniscule amount of their time.

I certainly would. Why not?

Originally Posted by kaka
pls explain?
anyways, i think the problem here is that they'll scan your BP anyways so u might still have to think outside of the box. maybe you tell them u'll check them in to the cargo hold?
I plan on telling them that CX told me they will check the bag for me at the lounge.

Originally Posted by CuiDawei
Good luck OP. I hate to go slightly off-topic, but does anyone know why we have to through this clearance? For example, if you fly from Japan to the US, there is no such pre-boarding check. Is it HK-specific?

Does anyone have experience with other airlines out of HK to the US? United, AA, Delta? I'm assuming they all have the check?
Yes. TSA doesn't trust HKG security. That's the bottom line.

Originally Posted by ssw207
This is in violation of the law and considered as illegal smuggling even if you have outbound boarding passes, so proceed at your own risk. All passengers returning to landside for whatever reason is required to refund dutiable items to the duty-free shops. Unlike typical US airports, in HK you have passed outbound immigration and customs control once airside.

An alternative is to purchase the liquor at the inbound duty free shops just before immigration when you land in HKIA, bring it into the city and pack it with your bags.

Refer to Hong Kong Dutiable Goods Ordinance (Cap. 109) for more info
http://www.legislation.gov.hk/eng/home.htm
I'll take your word for it, but I am willing to risk it since I am taking it out of the country and am not trying to take it into Hong Kong for consumption.

Last time I checked, the bottles are I want were not for sale at the inbound duty free shop.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:07 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I didn't cause this ridiculous situation. The situation requires that I utilize a creative solution. If that causes a minor source of work for staff, well that's how it is.

Besides, CX does so little ground handling for F and C passengers, I don't feel too guilty for taking a miniscule amount of their time.

I'll take your word for it, but I am willing to risk it since I am taking it out of the country and am not trying to take it into Hong Kong for consumption.

Last time I checked, the bottles are I want were not for sale at the inbound duty free shop.

There is no duty for liquor in HK (I know there isn't for wine, not too sure about whiskey).. If so , maybe its best to buy it locally and then pack into your bag to check in.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
There is no duty for liquor in HK (I know there isn't for wine, not too sure about whiskey).. If so , maybe its best to buy it locally and then pack into your bag to check in.
I would if I could but it is the Jack Daniels Sinatra and Jack Daniels Gold. At least the former is only available at duty free shops. I am not certain about the latter.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Quote:

Oh, there is definitely a duty for liquor -- 100% for anything with an alcohol by volume above 30%, according to the customs website.

If OP is buying a litre or less, the method of exiting customs to recheck should be ok (unless OP has an HKID, in which case he needs to have spent 24 hours out of HK). Otherwise, this does involve "smuggling" with the accompanying risk of steep fines if discovered.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input.

I suspect the biggest problem will be getting the duty free shop to sell me the liquor with a U.S. bound boarding pass, but we shall see.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Thanks all for the input.

I suspect the biggest problem will be getting the duty free shop to sell me the liquor with a U.S. bound boarding pass, but we shall see.
Based on my last visit to the airport, departing duty free shops in HK will not sell alcohol to you if you hold a U.S. bound boarding pass.

I'm not sure I agree with ssw207's statement that bringing liquor back to landside is an offence under the DGO, but it would be a massive headache (including missing your flight) if customs did randomly search you - they may not buy an explanation that you wanted to put it in your checked baggage.

Buying a fully refundable ticket, showing that boarding pass to the duty free shop, and then cancelling the ticket would also not work because of the gate check and a little old thing we call fraud.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.