Wiki Posts
Search

China Flight Delays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Why was this thread opened?
We are talking about summer monsoon season and China (its military-controlled airspace) - these massive delays are hardly surprising.
Many companies forbid its staff to fly on routes, where there are high-speed rail alternatives (e.g. Beijing - Shanghai; Wuhan - Shenzhen).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by warakorn
most of us on here are keenly familiar with China's airspace issues.

This thread was opened because China's military has shutdown 75-100% of civilian airspace in parts of Eastern China for live fire military exercises going through ~August 15. Yesterday 3/8 KA flights from PVG were cancelled. A few days ago the delays were stacked between 4-8 hours. I was in PEK earlier today, a KA flight from yesterday was just finally departing today.

I've been in China a decade, and never seen a period like this.

I suspect live fire exercises had already been planned, and then MH17 happened days before they were scheduled to begin. That cued the PLA to decide they needed ~double the amount of space originally planned.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jul 30, 2014 at 4:48 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
We are talking about summer monsoon season and China (its military-controlled airspace) - these massive delays are hardly surprising.
Many companies forbid its staff to fly on routes, where there are high-speed rail alternatives (e.g. Beijing - Shanghai; Wuhan - Shenzhen).
This is a CX/KA thread and there are connecting pax from all over the world that find themselves going to China on the airline. While you may find it hardly surprising, this thread is good information for others. But then again, YMMV
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Are luck would have it, my flight on KA 897 was just cancelled.

Luckily they were able to move me to CX 369… which is funny because that's the flight I was originally trying to book, but was told was sold out.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:04 am

By any chances, does anyone has access to a running list of delays and cancellations? Doing SIN>>>PVG in early Sep would like some information as reference points
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Why was this this thread opened? Well, for starters, it is to discuss an unprecedented situation in terms of military related delays, well beyond what is usual. It is of interest to anyone going in and out od that part of China, so where's your problem?

As for monsoons, they have had zero impact, so I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
This thread was opened because China's military has shutdown 75-100% of civilian airspace in parts of Eastern China for live fire military exercises going through ~August 15. Yesterday 3/8 KA flights from PVG were cancelled. A few days ago the delays were stacked between 4-8 hours. I was in PEK earlier today, a KA flight from yesterday was just finally departing today.

I've been in China a decade, and never seen a period like this.
A gov't friend in China told me China is under going a massive airforce evaluation, because their next massive projects and spending will be on drones, stealth fighters/bombers, and anti-missiles missiles. Apparently the Aircraft Carriers and Submarines upgrades were the last big projects, for the next 10 years the investments will be in the airforce.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:09 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

My US-bound flight was rerouted due to the military exercises. We flew over Japan and the Kamchatka peninsula as a result.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
A gov't friend in China told me China is under going a massive airforce evaluation, because their next massive projects and spending will be on drones, stealth fighters/bombers, and anti-missiles missiles. Apparently the Aircraft Carriers and Submarines upgrades were the last big projects, for the next 10 years the investments will be in the airforce.
yea i heard something similar...land forces stirring up trouble to get more budget in light of all increases the pla navy has seen. the guys doing the air exercises right now and causing all of these absurd delays are overseen by the land forces. and the exercises were planned live fire for a while, but mh17 happened and they decided to DOUBLE the amount of air space they needed - which already apparently was unprecedented over the time they're asking for - just to be safe. so now we have this joke of a situation where you really have no idea what's going to happen if you go to shanghai or presumably nanjing, hangzhou, ningbo, etc.

hands down i've never seen it this bad. i was originally scheduled to go to suzhou/shanghai/hangzhou next week but already moved that trip to september don't want to deal with this nonsense especially if you have a connection on the back end in HKIA
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QRC3288

hands down i've never seen it this bad.
I just wonder why they couldn't play their games out in Xinjiang where the skies are barren? (Actually, I know the answer -- because that wouldn't be 5% as disruptive -- but, I'm still amazed that this stuff persists to this day... I guess it's obvious who wears the pants.)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I heard the nonsense could end this weekend (instead next week).

Anyways I just hope I can fly next Friday without any issues.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The chance of getting delay (or at least massive ones) is much less in morning. I would say flying as early as possible to avoid delays!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:43 am

I was talking to this person in China that is involved in airline industries in China. He told me HKIA 3rd runway won't help that much because China has instituted "air tunnels" around HK, meaning there are just so many air space airlines inbound and outbound to HK can fly in and out of. It might helped a little bit, but don't expect major help because of air space restrictions around HK. Interesting....
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
I heard the nonsense could end this weekend (instead next week).

Anyways I just hope I can fly next Friday without any issues.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Could be doing my Sept SIN>>>PVG either this coming Sunday or Wednesday
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Keeping my fingers crossed. Could be doing my Sept SIN>>>PVG either this coming Sunday or Wednesday
Sin-pvg (assuming nonstop) has the option of avoiding the Brian patch by by flying 200 miles off the coast the whole way up and entering prc airspace on the cju tract. I'm not saying they do this often but at least they have the option.

As far as the third runway is concerned, like most of you I think it's a bad idea on multiple levels but I'll keep my comments in the relevant thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.