Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Econ being shrunk

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: QF WP
The first time I booked my mum onto Y+, her impression was that she would not pay any extra for it. No offence to anyone, but for a lot of the pax from their home base, they aren't really in the position to make use of the extra space even if it is available. Having a flat bed is a different story, but if you're just talking about an extra half a foot here and there, it seems that it's not making any difference to most of this demographic group given their generally smaller build.

Anyway, mum's on Y+ again soon, I'll see if her impression changes.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
You just made a case why they should ditch premium economy. You said it yourself, flying Y is hell, and for casual rich flyers they may justify paying extra for once in a awhile trip overseas at very high prices because they can afford it, and they don't do it often so forking over thousands more isn't a big pinch to their wallet.

So by your logic and airlines actually loses out, I am in the belief that these rich folks would pay extra to fly comfort rather than suffer in Y to save some money that they can afford anyway.
This argument only works if the airline isn't competing on the route with other airlines that do offer premium economy - if it is, the rich folks will switch airline rather than having to decide between suffering Y and paying much more for J.

I think this is why more and more airlines are introducing W - once their competitors are providing it, if they don't they are in effect opting out of part of the market.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:24 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I saw over here: http://flyerguide.com/Cathay_Pacific_(CX)_Fleet#33G

These notes:

Note 4: 13 aircrafts will change to J39/W21/Y191 from Jul 2014, LAE, LAQ, LAL & 6 others
Note 5: Remaining 13 aircraft with be change to J39/Y(TBA) from 2015,
It looks like that not only is CX reducing W capacity, on some aircraft they are actually taking W out completely.

Is W a failed experiment on certain routes?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc

It looks like that not only is CX reducing W capacity, on some aircraft they are actually taking W out completely.

Is W a failed experiment on certain routes?
I cant remember where it was posted but i recall they are taking W off India and Middle East routes completely due to the low demand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.