Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Full-fare Y ain't competing with the cheapest J for op-up - one is looking for op-up to PE (or J) while the other one is to F. It matters when both are travelling in the same class.
Mmmm, unless the high value PEY passenger gets op-up'd to F instead of a lower value J passenger.

Or alternatively, a high status passenger who is flying Y this time misses the op-up while a low/no status passenger also flying Y gets the op-up, because they are worth more $$$ to the airline.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:53 pm

Just online checked-in from a Chinese outport and notice no BN nor SEC at the final page online.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Ex-AU still shows SEC number after OLCI...hopefully it holds until Dec
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Just online checked-in from a Chinese outport and notice no BN nor SEC at the final page online.
Originally Posted by yohy?!
Ex-AU still shows SEC number after OLCI...hopefully it holds until Dec
Ex-HKG it still shows as of now. Ex-BOM it hasn't been showing recently.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:51 pm

Just did OLCI, and here is goes:
You have successfully checked in online for Cxxxx. (Check-In Ref No: CXxxx/1xNOV/0016)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by alphaod
But there's something wrong with the system, it used to print DM/Emerald. On this trip out of WNZ it printed FF/Emerald
I think the system has been upgraded then because I've had that format for a while now.
I am still getting "DM/EMERALD". The only difference seems to be "BN" is now called "SEC".

I was on a CX flight a week ago with SEC 1. J was overbooked. The lounge attendant called passengers to the reception, presumably for upgrades. However, I wasn't among them . While it is possible that those passengers were using mileage upgrades, it may as well be this new CIV score...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:47 am

Guess i going to get low CIV scores as i mostly fly oneworld (and only about 24 sectors with CX) and credit points to CX
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
EX-KUL now has the boarding pass with F/B/PE/E and adopted the new SEC too.
Did get the upgrade to PE though.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:31 am

Well, I'm glad I've finally convinced my company to fly me PEY from now on with this new CIV thing.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:41 am

Well, I'm glad I've finally convinced my company to fly me PEY from now on with this new CIV thing.
Congratulations !
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum (For Life), Royal Orchid Sliver
Personally I think the BN number is by far the fairest way of determining upgrades, if your really committed to getting the upgrade then your going to hovering over your computer or phone 48 hours prior to departure, at least every one used to know the importance of getting that magical BN001, the new CIV score if its anything like BA's system is going to create a maelstrom of discontent, as the far from reliable CIV algorithm creates a level of distrust and suspicion amongst fellow tier members, a least we used to know where we all stood before... Like BA will CX Gold Card holders be upgraded over diamonds to encourage travel?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I was on a CX flight a week ago with SEC 1. J was overbooked. The lounge attendant called passengers to the reception, presumably for upgrades. However, I wasn't among them . While it is possible that those passengers were using mileage upgrades, it may as well be this new CIV score...
Here is a recent anecdote:

*Flew to China on KA on (B fare economy ticket) with a no-status traveling companion recently. Both of us on B fare tix. On return sector HGH-HKG, I checked in at airport a few hours before and got SEC# 200+. So did my companion (we forgot about OLCI). Both of us were op-upped to J. No "I" or "V" or "M" on boarding pass which I often see when I am upgraded.

I am not sure if I was the only DM ticketed in Y class that day (or lowest # DM), I'm willing to say it's possible I guess HGH is not a DM heavy route. However, my companion had no status and was also SEC #200+. There is simply no way there weren't GOs, SLs and other high OW status people with lower #s than him. Perhaps he was upgraded simply because we were traveling together and I'm DM on a relatively expensive Y ticket, that's quite plausible and it has happened to me before. However, I've also been on a flight where a no-status traveling companion was denied an op-up with me despite being on my PNR. I was offered op-up, but told he could not come with me. I declined....and they accepted my decline and put me back in Y class with him. I will add, I specifically remember that time we were on a super discount economy fare (S or N).

Perhaps this is an indication of something different. Or perhaps not. Not really sure, I have too few experiences with the new system to say either way. Either way I was pleased to have been upgraded.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Here is a recent anecdote:

*Flew to China on KA on (B fare economy ticket) with a no-status traveling companion recently. Both of us on B fare tix. On return sector HGH-HKG, I checked in at airport a few hours before and got SEC# 200+. So did my companion (we forgot about OLCI). Both of us were op-upped to J. No "I" or "V" or "M" on boarding pass which I often see when I am upgraded.

I am not sure if I was the only DM ticketed in Y class that day (or lowest # DM), I'm willing to say it's possible I guess HGH is not a DM heavy route. However, my companion had no status and was also SEC #200+. There is simply no way there weren't GOs, SLs and other high OW status people with lower #s than him. Perhaps he was upgraded simply because we were traveling together and I'm DM on a relatively expensive Y ticket, that's quite plausible and it has happened to me before. However, I've also been on a flight where a no-status traveling companion was denied an op-up with me despite being on my PNR. I was offered op-up, but told he could not come with me. I declined....and they accepted my decline and put me back in Y class with him. I will add, I specifically remember that time we were on a super discount economy fare (S or N).

Perhaps this is an indication of something different. Or perhaps not. Not really sure, I have too few experiences with the new system to say either way. Either way I was pleased to have been upgraded.
I am not sure if the fare makes much different. I needed to be in San Jose that Friday and be in Shenzhen for a Monday morning meeting. I had only two options - CX873 Friday late night or CX879 Saturday noon. J was overbooked on both flights. I used seat guarantee to get a C fare. Perhaps J can get a better CIV score too.

Anyway, I was happy to get a seat - SQ was also full; UA had seats but was >USD2000 more.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I am not sure if the fare makes much different. I needed to be in San Jose that Friday and be in Shenzhen for a Monday morning meeting. I had only two options - CX873 Friday late night or CX879 Saturday noon. J was overbooked on both flights. I used seat guarantee to get a C fare. Perhaps J can get a better CIV score too.

Anyway, I was happy to get a seat - SQ was also full; UA had seats but was >USD2000 more.
Interesting....maybe the people you heard called were simply using Asia Miles to upgrade! Or milestone upgrades. Seen both happen in front of me before to my chagrin missing out on the J to F op up! I'm not yet convinced anything has changed I suppose we'll figure it out as we get mor anecdotes and have conversations with CX.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:41 pm

First off thanks for the congrats cxfan1960, too bad I told my company I wanted to reduced my travels in the future. But I will try my best to maintain at least CX GO. I should retain my CX DM for another year after this one, but it will be close.

Second, I overheard in CX Wing that CX has changed their upgrade policy. Of course I still don't know the details and like the old policy I suspect it will take many of us sharing stories to piece together exactly what is changed or not changed. But I also specifically overheard that CX will NOT upgrade family members together with op-up.

The biggest drawback of CIV score is the possibility that someone lower tiers of yours may be upgraded over you, or worse, someone not even MPO, but might have be a high revenue spender or worse still, CX just wants to give him an op-up to entice him to fly more. People are right, with the old system we all know where we stand, but with the new secret system it will bring much suspicions and resentment.

Case in point: I reported here last time 2 Taiwanese ladies argued at Wing F lounge with an attendant that they saw a GO that got op-up but they are both DMs and didn't get op-up, and they were not happy and demand op-ups, and when they didn't get it, they demanded answers. Suspicion, resentment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.