Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Seat 2A on 777 F - did you get moved?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

I called in a while ago and got 2A assigned. Now I've been moved to 2D without my knowledge, and the only other seat shown to be open is 1D (I'm looking at the seat selection tool when making a new reservation). From various reading it seems you can be moved out of 2A if it is needed for a baby, but that (baby in CX F) should also be fairly uncommon. So am I just unlucky, or does this happen often? If you reserved 2A, did it stay?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:06 pm

I have once been moved from a window J seat to middle/isle J seat despite I have checked in at AKL for AKL-SYDx-HKG and obtained printed QF boarding passes for both sectors. SYD-HKG was CX operated flight (CX online check-in also completed with my preferred window seat)

upon boarding in SYD, CX (uniformed) gate agent simply gave me another CX printed boarding pass with 1 seat further back and in the middle/isle. They could not explain why I was moved and looked clueless.

They would not move me back and said the passenger has boarded and seated, so I have to steer that guy for the entire flight. (last sentence was a joke, I simply roll my eyes backward)

Last edited by zqsn5678; Jun 11, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
My wife lost her assigned seat flying J SFO-HKG several years ago. I called in and found that there was an equipment change. I got her another seat. Then when we were at the airport, there was another equipment change (same type of aircraft and seat arrangements) and she lost her seat once more...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
I've never been moved from 2A even though I'm warned when the request is made that the seat has a bassinet and I could be moved if it's required for a baby. Could be any number of reasons why you've been moved so I would suggest that you call MPO and ask them if the seat can be reassigned to you.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:48 pm

I received a call last month saying that my 2A seats, bothways, for a round trip to LAX in Sept has to be released.
My partner is traveling on 1A though. So i need to ask for 2A again at check-in.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Read this entire thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ts-cx-77w.html

To summarize - Seat 2A is a bassinet position, and it seems like the system automatically clears it after a certain time, as if a check is being performed every 6 months or so. If you get moved, and it is not marked as occupied, you can call in and get an agent to put you back in it though it requires quite the effort as you have to get one that is willing to do so and you may have to push for them to assign 2A to you.

The HKG service centre seems to be more willing to assign it vs the USA one.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:57 pm

I don't know if you're aware, though I've seen it posted on FT before so I hope I'm not breaking any rules. Here's what I did:

Go to Qatarairways.com, click on Manage Booking, type in your CX-specific record locator and your last name where prompted and this will bring up your reservation.

I believe Qatar uses Amadeus with only a slight mod for its website portal. Otherwise, you are accessing a OW rez with almost full visibility. Anyway, you will see all the seats available on your CX flight with the exception of 2A and 2K which are always blacked out for the bassinet possibility prior to departure. When I looked at the CX website, it showed only 1D and 2D available; on Qatar, it showed everything but 2A and 2K and I was able to reserve 1A. You may not get 2A for all the reasons we know, but at least you can get 1A or 1K if they're still open. I hope this makes sense. Try it and let us know.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:10 am

1. Recently I saw that I was moved out of 2A into 2D. Obviously I had to change it back.
2. 1A/K were showing occupied - 2A/K were the only window seats left, and was showing as "blocked" on Expertflyer.
3. The Korean call centre took a lot of persuading before they would re-assign me back into 2A.
4. The new seat assignment managed to stick until day of departure and I checked in online without any problems.

Originally Posted by Beard Papa
When I looked at the CX website, it showed only 1D and 2D available; on Qatar, it showed everything but 2A and 2K and I was able to reserve 1A.
If 1A/K are not actually assigned (i.e. shows "blocked' on Expertflyer) then you can also call the CX Reservations and get them assigned. Of course, your method has the benefit that one doesn't have to call to get the assignment.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LchChester
I received a call last month saying that my 2A seats, bothways, for a round trip to LAX in Sept has to be released.
I would have appreciated the same gesture, but I was not contacted in any way and it's no longer avai. I booked through AA miles though. Did you book with CX directly?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:24 am
Uli

i always can reserve 2A, and I have never been moved out from that seat. this year so far 16 flight in 2A.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I once had reserved 2A (BKK-) HKG-JFK. On checkin at BKK, I had been reassigned to 1D. I hate the center seats. Got to the departure gate at HKG (I believe that it was gate 3), went to the podium and explained the problem. GAs wouldn't budge at first, saying that another pax had been assigned 2A. Then I persuaded them to look at my PNR; and they could see that I had reserved it far in advance. Some conversation among themselves and a phone call later and I was back in 2A.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I have the first pair of five F(Z) redemptions flying tonight. Advance seat allocation 1A and 2A for the couple (GRs flying my miles).

They just whatsapped me 2A got honoured but 1A got moved to 2D.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
What does GR mean?

And what happened to cause 1A to get moved to 2D? Usually it's the other way around, 2A getting moved.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by roastpuff
What does GR mean?

And what happened to cause 1A to get moved to 2D? Usually it's the other way around, 2A getting moved.
GR - Marco Polo Green members

1A - oh wait. I never managed to ASA 1A for the wife on yesterday's flight. She cleared waitlist for yesterday's flight on Monday (T+5) and only 2D was available for selection then. My bad my bad I take it back.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA
They whatsapp you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.