Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Percy, it's ok to backtrack through the origin (& indeed HKG..nothing in the rules that excludes HKG)...but yes, it will be a pain convincing them to ticket.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Iamhappy
What's up Percy? We are dealing with a thread called sharing ideas. I wasn't sure whether it was legitmate hence the post. If you are having problems with other people posting ideas (go to this link for a better understanding of the word http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idea?s=t) then maybe you can simply ignore this thread in the future.

Posts #4, #5, #9, #40, #44 show that backtracking has been done in the past. And since my earlier post (#62) I have actually emailed AM and got a response in writing confirming that the following (which involves 3 different trips from HKG, with a few months in between them) is indeed allowed.

31 July: From Hong Kong to London on BA
10 August: From London to Hong Kong on CX
25 December: From Hong Kong to Tokyo on JL
29 December: From Tokyo to Hong Kong on CX
12 May 2016: From Hong Kong to Brisbane on QF
19 May 2016: From Brisbane to Hong Kong on QF

I know that you are a regular on FT and HKcard and most of the time provide constructive/positive input to fellow FTer and HKcarder. Trust that you will have something constructive/positive next time round.
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Percy, it's ok to backtrack through the origin (& indeed HKG..nothing in the rules that excludes HKG)...but yes, it will be a pain convincing them to ticket.
Well rather than relying on experience of others (on both here and hongkongcard <--- yes, the people there do also explore backtracks), I decided to construct one myself.

10 May BA32 HKG-LHR J(U)
17 May BA31 LHR-HKG J(U)
21 Jun QF30 HKG-MEL J(U)
24 Jun QF29 MEL-HKG J(U)

I phoned a Tsuen Wan agent, asked him to construct the itinerary and report me required miles and surcharges.

After a 15 minute wait he reported 160,000 miles and $3,641.

So I was in the wrong. I apologise. I will reply your original question shortly.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 7, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Iamhappy
HKG-BNE QF 1st openjaw
SYD-HKG CX 1st stopover
HKG-SYD CX 2nd stopover
SYD-HKG CX 3rd stopover
HKG-MEL CX 2nd openjaw
SYD-HKG CX 4th stopover
HKG-SYD CX 5th stopover
SYD-KUL MH 1st transfer
KUL-HKG CX
HKG-(QF)BNE//(CX)SYD-(CX)oHKG-(CX)oSYD-(CX)oHKG-(CX)MEL//(CX)SYD-(CX)oHKG-(MH)xKUL-(CX)HKG

o=4 x=1 //=2
Legal. But I may be wrong. And what I say won't count before AM anyway.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 7, 2015 at 9:36 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Wow, just wow

This is the type of post/tone that, while it won't get you banned, will make other FTers think twice before they take their time to reply to anything of yours in the future.

percysmith has been nothing but helpful, and he showed that again in his subsequent reply
I agree that percysmith has been helpful, and if my post offended anyone then I would like to offer my apology.

Originally Posted by percysmith
Well rather than relying on experience of others (on both here and hongkongcard <--- yes, the people there do also explore backtracks), I decided to construct one myself.

10 May BA32 HKG-LHR J(U)
17 May BA31 LHR-HKG J(U)
21 Jun QF30 HKG-MEL J(U)
24 Jun QF29 MEL-HKG J(U)

I phoned a Tsuen Wan agent, asked him to construct the itinerary and report me required miles and surcharges.

After a 15 minute wait he reported 160,000 miles and $3,641.

So I was in the wrong. I apologise. I will reply your original question shortly.
Thanks for spending the time and effort calling Tsuen Wan. Your effort is much appreciated by all who visit this forum.

Originally Posted by percysmith
HKG-(QF)BNE//(CX)SYD-(CX)oHKG-(CX)oSYD-(CX)oHKG-(CX)MEL//(CX)SYD-(CX)oHKG-(MH)xKUL-(CX)HKG

o=4 x=1 //=2
Legal. But I may be wrong. And what I say won't count before AM anyway.
True, and if it can be ticketed then in J class this is a 100k AM saver (despite having to use all sectors within 1 year of ticketing). Will update after it has been ticketed. Cheers.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:27 am

Iamhappy, Percysmith - kudos for an amicable/grown up resolution to what could easily have escalated into a $#!tfest - thankfully we haven't had one those on here for a while!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
To check on the required number of miles and taxes and whether the routing is valid, can I just email in my itinerary instead of calling in?

Actual booking is via phone right? Any alternative like online forms?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: Used to be AA Platinum during/after DONE5 in '05/'06, now, just longing for the good ol' days!
Questions about itinerary & general availability

I am just beginning the planning process for a multi-carrier award. I am vaguely familiar with the ins and the outs as I have planned and executed a DONE5 about 10 years ago and the travel itch needs some scratching.

Here is the proposed itinerary

YVR-HKG(o)-MEL(o)-BNE(o)-SYD(o)-SIN(x)-KUL(x)-HKG(o)-YVR

Airlines to use are:

YVY-HKG-MEL (CX)
MEL-BNE-SYD-SIN (QF)
SIN-KUL (MH)
KUL-HKG-YVR (CX)

I think I am onside as far as the rules go. I am hoping for 3 seats in J, (me, Mrs. BdaDiver, and mini-BdaDiver who will be 10 at the time of trip). Any issues with availability of 3 J seats on any of the flights?

GCM says 24,365 miles, resulting in a cost of 160,000 asia miles per tickets. Correct?

I am planning for late July/early August of 2017. I fully realize that current rules may change many times between now and then, but as of today's rules, does this seem doable?

Thanks in advance,

BdaDiver
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:21 pm

3J redemption YVR-HKG-YVR...

Hehheh...heheheh...nothing

Hehhehehheh...nothing really
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
I've got a oneworld J award currently booked with AM, though it was a struggle for me to get the itinerary approved as the agents didn't believe that a stopover could be used as a transit.

I'm now wanting to change the itinerary slightly, and they gave me the tax estimate and it was approximately $1800HKD more expensive than the itinerary I had booked.

My question is, what is the best arrangement of stopovers and transits in my itinerary below to have the lowest tax possible? I'd also be interested to know how open jaws are taxed.

Current itinerary, taxes were $5579HKD

SYD-xCNS(QF)-oHKG(CX)-MXP(CX)//FCO-LHR//AMS-xLHR(BA)-oKUL(MH)-SYD(MH)

I'm changing this to the following. Taxes quoted were $7320HKD:
SYD-xCNS(QF)-oHKG(CX)-MXP(CX)//FCO-LHR//GRX-MAD-LCY//LHR-KUL(MH)-SYD(MH)

My MH flight from LHR departs less than 24 hours after I arrive into LCY, so I should be able to do this as a transit rather than a stop over, though I'm a little confused as to how this works!

If someone could help me work what should be an 'o' and what should be an 'x' that would be fantastic
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mitellic
I've got a oneworld J award currently booked with AM, though it was a struggle for me to get the itinerary approved as the agents didn't believe that a stopover could be used as a transit.

I'm now wanting to change the itinerary slightly, and they gave me the tax estimate and it was approximately $1800HKD more expensive than the itinerary I had booked.

My question is, what is the best arrangement of stopovers and transits in my itinerary below to have the lowest tax possible? I'd also be interested to know how open jaws are taxed.

Current itinerary, taxes were $5579HKD

SYD-xCNS(QF)-oHKG(CX)-MXP(CX)//FCO-LHR//AMS-xLHR(BA)-oKUL(MH)-SYD(MH)

I'm changing this to the following. Taxes quoted were $7320HKD:
SYD-xCNS(QF)-oHKG(CX)-MXP(CX)//FCO-LHR//GRX-MAD-LCY//LHR-KUL(MH)-SYD(MH)

My MH flight from LHR departs less than 24 hours after I arrive into LCY, so I should be able to do this as a transit rather than a stop over, though I'm a little confused as to how this works!

If someone could help me work what should be an 'o' and what should be an 'x' that would be fantastic
force them, ask for a supervisor
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
deleted

Last edited by ZenWorld; Jul 15, 2015 at 8:57 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Jagsmeet says yes )
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:05 am

Actually, no

(But wanting something similar, I'd be very happy if this went through).

Not legit because you need to end at the origin, or atleast the same country.

Nothing in the TnCs, but the description of these awards on the chart page reads 'round trip awards that include ...'. MPC interprets that as needing to end at the origin ('if the open-jaw is at the origin then the member needs to..').

Also, I'd avoid MH for KUL-SIN or vv. The YQ is very high- more than SIN-HKG r/t..or something like that.

Last edited by jagmeets; Jul 14, 2015 at 5:11 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:43 am

[Never mind, please ignore]

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 14, 2015 at 6:22 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
deleted

Last edited by ZenWorld; Jul 15, 2015 at 8:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.