Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by jagmeets
You can repeat sectors..perthtraveller's itin up-thread as an example..but be ready for a lot of push back & verse yourself very well with the T&Cs to throw the book at MPC/AM/ticketing staff..
Adding a transit along the way will likely make dealing with them easier.
Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Nrt-hkg-kix//ngo-hkg-kix-hkg-xhnd-xkix-hkg//vvo-nrt

J, all flown
I noted that perthtraveller's itinerary did not state if the repeat is a transit or stopover :
"2. PER-HKG-PVG-HKG-JFK-ORD-YYZ-HKG-PER-HKG-PER --> another example of returning to origin (PER) and then tacking on further flights."

If its "PER-HKGx-PVG....HKG-PERo-HKGo-PER", then we can say PER-HKG one is a stopover, and one is a transit.

As for kaka's NRT itinerary,
I also noted that hkg-kix// - open jaw
then HKG-KIXo - stopover
then KIXo-HKG, while the 2nd time KIX is just transit - KIXx-HKG

Hence, in the above 2 examples, there is still not a complete sector repeat in the strict sense.
The OpenJaw vis-a-vis Stopover is tricky, but certainly transit is easy is to explain and get away on the sector repeat.

I am not sure if the system flags out HKG-KIXo *2 kind of scenario (HKG-KIX// might just trick the system!), so I would like to see an example of that, and if kaka can book your HKG-KIXo * 2, please share with us!

Cheers!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Even if you are using the open jaw allowance, it is ticketed as a stopover so HKG-KIX//...HKG-oKIX, has 2 segments ticketed as HKG-oKIX, even though only one stopover allowance (of the award rules) is being used.

It will likely be a matter of huge debate with the MPC, but it can definitely be done.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Originally Posted by kaka

Nrt-hkg-kix//ngo-hkg-kix-hkg-xhnd-xkix-hkg//vvo-nrt

J, all flown
Déjà vu for the win!
Guess what, i spent more than 24 hrs for the double tramsit at kix and got miles for some sectors
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Enrich, Krisflyer, HHonors, SPG, AccorPlus
Hi everyone, newbie here so please bear with me.

This would be my first attempt at redeeming a oneworld multi-carrier award flight. My destination is Seattle, which I find is not served that well by oneworld coming from KL/Singapore. Playing around on oneworld's website I came up with this:

SIN-HKG-ORD-SEA-JFK-HKG-SIN (distance 23,182 miles)

I am treating HKG as transits and ORD and JFK as stopovers. Is the route ok? How many days can I spend in ORD and JFK? Any other pointers/tips would be appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
OW tickets are valid for 1 year, which means you have complete the flights within 1 year from the date of issue. So theoretically if your ticket is issued today, you can fly tomorrow and take your last flight 364 days from now.

You can make 5 stopovers, 2 transits and 2 open jaws. Your itinerary looks fine - but do have 2 non-CX/KA carriers? It looks like you only have CX and AA. You can't issue the OW award if you only have 1 non-CX/KA carrier.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Maybe you can try SEA-PHX-JFK on US and one of the HKG becomes a stopover.

SIN-xHKG-oORD-oSEA-xPHX-oJFK-oHKG-SIN

But I wonder if US is treated separately from AA?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:40 pm

At the moment (well, a week back at least), US is treated as separate from AA. Else on of the HkG-SIN of vv can be via KL and Mh can be used for one sector (higher Surcharge though).

If the trip is planned in business class, the domestic US sectors will have to be in coach..
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:44 pm

Thanks for the fast and useful replies Psychiatrist, jagmeets and lcpteck.

Immediate change for inbound : SEA-oLHR-xDOH-oSIN-KCH (ba, qr, mh). Chance to try qr's 787-8 and A350?

I've tagged on KCH since it'll come under the 25k mile mark.

So tentatively its:

KCH-oSIN-xHKG-oORD-oSEA-oLHR-xDOH-oSIN-KCH (mh, cx, aa, ba, qr, mh) for 23,898 miles (http://tinyurl.com/qb3ua2c). 160k Asia Miles each for Business Class.

Workable? Any advise/comments appreciated!

Last edited by d4v1d; Jun 16, 2015 at 1:36 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
TAM flies from New York to Toronto, so together with AA will qualify for the 2 non CX/KA airlines. Hence,
SIN-xHKG-oORD-oSEA-xPHX-oJFK-oYYZ-oHKG-SIN

TAM flight details
JJ8102
JFK 11:15a → YYZ 1:00p
Stops: 0
Aircraft: 763
Frequency: Su,M,W,F,Sa

Maybe you can try SEA-PHX-JFK on US and one of the HKG becomes a stopover.

SIN-xHKG-oORD-oSEA-xPHX-oJFK-oHKG-SIN

But I wonder if US is treated separately from AA?

Last edited by Mafai; Jun 16, 2015 at 1:31 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:40 am

You need to end in the country of origin...

Also BA will tack on hefty fuel surcharges - not sure about QR, but their fuels surcharges might be high too.
You could use BA/Avios website to check availability.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:26 am

You need to end in the country of origin...

Also BA will tack on hefty fuel surcharges - not sure about QR, but their fuels surcharges might be high too.
You could use BA/Avios website to check availability.
Got it. I will actually be starting/ending in KCH.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:40 am

Oh sorry- missed the second part of your post..should work!

Although personally, I'd avoid BA & LHR for the hefty YQ & APD.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Oh sorry- missed the second part of your post..should work!

Although personally, I'd avoid BA & LHR for the hefty YQ & APD.
I read it's best to transit LHR instead of stopping over to lessen the fees?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:34 am

Yep- stay less than 24h..but do check the breakdown of taxes / surcharges - recall reading on here of an Asiamiles redemption where the UK APD was wrongly charged...
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:46 am

I read it's best to transit LHR instead of stopping over to lessen the fees?
Yep- stay less than 24h..but do check the breakdown of taxes / surcharges - recall reading on here of an Asiamiles redemption where the UK APD was wrongly charged...
Ok, want to swap LHR with CDG. Any suggestions on SEA-CDG? OW website lists the only direct flight AA 42 being a 737-800. Any other way to get to Paris (open jaw via another city)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.