DXB-???-MNL in June - CX or QR?

Old May 19, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, WY Silver, IHG Gold
DXB-???-MNL in June - CX or QR?

Problem... I am torn between two airlines. Cathay Pacific and Qatar Airways. I am planning to travel alone from DXB to MNL in June for 2 weeks. They are both cheap for J travel although I need your advise on which one to take.

DXB-DOH-MNL on QR is around USD2000
DXB-HKG-MNL on CX is around USD1650

I have tried QR in J for traveling to Singapore before and I have no complaints about it.

I have traveled CX in J before but only for a 3 hour flight, also no complaints.

QR for me seems better with the soft product than CX with the PJs being given on J. Also, QR would have moved to the new airport. I will be able to reach QR silver if I make this trip with them.

However, the seats on CX seems to be better on the long haul flight from DXB-HKG-DXB with aisle access for everyone with your personal space.

I need help on which one to choose...

EK and EY are out of the list as they are USD 1000 more...
Old May 19, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
If flying in J, can't you earn status qualification points for QR while flying on CX?

What are your connection times on the two itineraries? Is one more convenient than the other time-wise?
Old May 19, 2014, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

I would say qr if at the old airport based on less walking involved but if you need to walk a kilometer eitherway, do cx since its cheaper. U get better catering in qr tho - unless you're the few herevwho thinks qr's menu has nothing inside
Old May 20, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
USD350 - a saving that you could spend on better PJs than QR will give you, and a slap-up meal with someone else to make up for any perceived catering deficiencies. And you might still have some loose change... And if the seats on those flights are better on CX then it should be a no-brainer.

As to the status question - unless you need to fly on QR metal to meet some minimum requirement under membership rules, as they are oneworld partners your CX flights should count towards your QR status
Old May 21, 2014, 1:45 am
Original Poster

QR will be transferring to the new airport by 27th May.

I could earn Qpoints on CX flights but less than what I'll get if flying with QR. Really confused with which one to choose as soft and hard products seems to become neutral

Is there any way that I can book QR for outbound and CX on return, other than buying one way tix on each airline? Which site could I go for? Trying some different websites but they are giving me errors (even with CX and QR websites)
Old May 21, 2014, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks Ian. I think im gonna get CX then...
Old May 21, 2014, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gerard86
can you get the codeshares for the same price?
Old May 21, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Gerard86
There's MH too.. and chances are that they're going to be cheapest of the lot.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Tried to look for MH fares but it is more expensive than EK.

For some reasons, I cannot book codeshare tickets on their websites.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree on saving $350
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Ok... So I ended up taking the Cathay Pacific Flight...
Flight was ok. Just same as Qatar air CX=QR
Seat is good due to direct aisle access. CX>QR
I dont know but I preferred QR's meals CX<QR
I was feeling really hot on my seat for both legs DXB-HKG when I tried to sleep even though I didnt use the blanket. So I ended up awake for the rest of the flights. CX<QR
About price, Cathay Pacific is cheaper than Qatar Air so, CX>QR
At the end of the day, I am ok to use either carriers.

Last edited by Gerard86; Oct 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm Reason: Trying to Delete

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.