Wiki Posts
Search

"L" on Bag Tag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
"L" on Bag Tag

I recently got a big "L" on my bag tag on my bag (right side of acceptance time and record locator) as well as the bag ID tag receipt (left side of itin). I asked the check-in agent what it means, but she had no clue. There are 2 reasons I could think of, but I wonder if anyone knows the definite answer:
1. I had 4 legs, 2 CX conx to 2 AA FLTs. "L" indicates something due to that. I have had 2 CX (or 1 KA then 1 CX) conx to 2 AA FLTs before though, but I didn't see it before, so that's only possible if it is recently introduced.
2. My first FLT was delayed. "L" indicates the delay.

Any idea? Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I never got that before. Perhaps a normal luggage tag can only handle three legs, while you had four. Just a guess...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:38 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Just don't get the infamous letters, SSSS. I've had that leaving LAX and all my luggage was stamped with those dreaded letters.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by gemini573
Just don't get the infamous letters, SSSS. I've had that leaving LAX and all my luggage was stamped with those dreaded letters.
It's not a bad thing. Doesn't make a difference to luggage and last time I left USA because I was tagged SSSS I got to bypass the security queue and go straight for special screening. Which was basically normal screening plus the bomb residue swab.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I never got that before. Perhaps a normal luggage tag can only handle three legs, while you had four. Just a guess...
Normal luggage tag can handle 4, but not 3 legs for sure. Whether that "L" is related to the fact that there are 4 legs I don't know. If it is, as mentioned that's also very recent.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: BAEC silver
"L" might stand for Long Transfer?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I've also seen the letter "B" on my baggage tags from time to time. Was wondering what that meant too.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACARS
"L" might stand for Long Transfer?
I thought about that, but all my transfers were within 3 hours.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Did you check in close to the cut off time? Perhaps it meant "last bag", i.e, this was the last bag that was being accepted at check-in and would signal to the baggage handlers that once they received this bag for that particular flight, no more would be sent down the baggage system from check-in. The baggage handlers could then dispatch the remaining bags in their possession out to the aircraft.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I've had the letter "C" on my bag tags once or twice too...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:32 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You're not talking about where it says "Class: L" for the subclass of your ticket?

Last edited by sxc; Apr 21, 2014 at 2:57 am
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:51 am
Suspended

OP, was it just your bag? Or did you notice others around you have the same tag?

Maybe these 'B', 'C', 'L' signs are just a way for the handling team to differentiate which flight it was from / which carousels / etc?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trustno1
Did you check in close to the cut off time? Perhaps it meant "last bag", i.e, this was the last bag that was being accepted at check-in and would signal to the baggage handlers that once they received this bag for that particular flight, no more would be sent down the baggage system from check-in. The baggage handlers could then dispatch the remaining bags in their possession out to the aircraft.
I don't think so. I checked in 90 mins before.

Originally Posted by sxc
You're not talking about where it says "Class: L" for the subclass of your ticket?
No, lol. Class would not be shown on the ID tag, either, only on the tag that goes to the bag itself.

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
OP, was it just your bag? Or did you notice others around you have the same tag?
I honestly didn't pay attention. Sorry.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
It means they know you have a learners permit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.