Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Using someone else's MPC# for benefits

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:31 pm
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM

I've came across a few postings on local HK discussion groups that certain individuals are letting their travel companions to use their MPC numbers so that they can extend their DM/GO/SL privileges to them. One guy even showed off pictures of his BPs with duplicated DM MPC numbers and two CX comped buggies with all his friends on it.

For example, lets say there is a party of 6, usually the DM can bring in two guests in addition to himself to the first class lounge at The Wing, and the other three can't enter. However, if the DM's MPC# is entered again in one of the travelling companion's record, the system will indicate this travel companion is also a DM on the boarding pass - therefore allowing the remaining three pax to enter FCL.

Surprised that CX is allowing such behavior. Guess its a further depreciation of the MPC program.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:29 pm

I thought the computers will catch this easily?

Will miles post multiple times for the same day if flights overlap or conflict?

Worse, what if the system kicks out the DM or some others thinking he has double-booked?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: CX DM
That DM knows someone and you don't. Grow up / wake up and move along. Rules don't apply the same way to everyone. It's just a fact of life.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
MPC numbers won't work on someone else with a different name as the name will not co-relate to the booking. Unless someone fudged it. Don't see how this will work considering MPC won't even guarantee seat request for someone who posted that his middle name was added to the booking and his MPC number doesn't reflect that.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ddle-name.html

So don't see how one may add a MPC number to someone else..

But then come to think of it, the F side of the Wing these days seem to be like a Da Pai Dong nowadays.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
No, it will not work on CX using MPC number. The system will match the name on the PNR with the MPC, an error message will pop up if it doesn't match. The same thing goes with BA/QF numbers
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Care give the links to these discussion groups? I highly doubt it works...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:16 pm
formerly ssw207
Original Poster

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by marcuslai
That DM knows someone and you don't. Grow up / wake up and move along. Rules don't apply the same way to everyone. It's just a fact of life.
Not that it matters to me since I don't have status on CX, but feel sorry for you guys accumulating the status the BIS/hard way. Maybe CX will start to hold planes for those VIPs who are fashionably late, like they do in Mainland China.

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Care give the links to these discussion groups? I highly doubt it works...
HKADB. My friends sent me screenshots. There are a couple of newly minted DMs on that forum, one guy was posting his FFP status benefits such as many cups of Haagen-Dazs ice cream.

Last edited by ffs852; Apr 13, 2014 at 7:17 pm Reason: Bad grammar
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ssw207

HKADB. My friends sent me screenshots. There are a couple of newly minted DMs on that forum, one guy was posting his FFP status benefits such as many cups of Haagen-Dazs ice cream.
Well, we know exactly how he got his status !!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:00 am
Suspended

It is these XXXholes that ruin it for everybody.

In the past, they do offer buggy vouchers to the travelling companion to the DM, but not anymore and there are strict controls to avoid the DM to ask for it twice at different points at the airport.

The DM # does NOT work if the name does not match the member. - Must be a fake.

Seriosuly they need to get rid of these ECONDMs, they are a nuisance and ruin it for real DMs who actually bring proper revenue to CX
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:02 am
Suspended

Since when was Haagen-Dazs a DM benefit?
You can get as many cups/bars as you want, even if you're traveling in Y... statusless. As long as inventory permits.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: CX DM
one guy was posting his FFP status benefits such as many cups of Haagen-Dazs ice cream.
I think that was from about 1/2 down the first post in this trip report. Nothing to do with FFP status.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But then come to think of it, the F side of the Wing these days seem to be like a Da Pai Dong nowadays.
Don't worry, it's going to get even more crowded in 2 months. I suspect what the OP mentions is an easy computer fix (or a someone online making things up)....I think a more legitimate concern is the 100+ lounge pax who will join the CX lounge system starting in June with the new AA flight HKG-DFW, particularly on the F side. Midday is going to be a zoo around that departure time in the F lounge. AA's 777-300ERs have what, 310 pax? 8 F, 52 J I think and the rest Y. It seems to me like everyone who flies AA is "elite", so I suspect we'll have a lot of extra lounge guests in addition to the premium pax.

The F side will probably bear the brunt given the extreme quantities of AA EXPs, and the limited F space at HKIA. I wouldn't be surprised if the F Wing gets 40+ new guests midday when the new DFW departure launches. 8 F seats, and 30+ AA EXPs seated in J and Y. Hopefully the Pier F can come online soon.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Don't worry, it's going to get even more crowded in 2 months. I suspect what the OP mentions is an easy computer fix (or a someone online making things up)....I think a more legitimate concern is the 100+ lounge pax who will join the CX lounge system starting in June with the new AA flight HKG-DFW, particularly on the F side. Midday is going to be a zoo around that departure time in the F lounge. AA's 777-300ERs have what, 310 pax? 8 F, 52 J I think and the rest Y. It seems to me like everyone who flies AA is "elite", so I suspect we'll have a lot of extra lounge guests in addition to the premium pax.

The F side will probably bear the brunt given the extreme quantities of AA EXPs, and the limited F space at HKIA. I wouldn't be surprised if the F Wing gets 40+ new guests midday when the new DFW departure launches. 8 F seats, and 30+ AA EXPs seated in J and Y. Hopefully the Pier F can come online soon.
I think CX will have capacity limit really soon in the wing F.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:20 am
Suspended

Ok saw the picture
So basically there are 2BPs with 2 different names but same DM#
Two F class lounge invitations were printed with 2 different names but same DM#
There is also a handwritten message saying 3 guests are approved by supervisor for each lounge invite

Whether this is photoshopped or not?

But I'm surprised that the full name along with the MPo# are clearly displayed
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:12 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If it's real hopefully CX will pick up on it and investigate and reprimand if necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.