Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Please help me design the ultimate HKG lounge hop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me design the ultimate HKG lounge hop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by Halle8
My first layover in HK is 5:30am to 8:45am
(JFK-HKG in First class, HKG-PVG in business)

There is not much time here, I would like to grab a shower and a decent coffee/breakfast (I was advised to never drink coffee on a plane, and I'm a caffeine addict). Since this is the only chance I will have for a first class lunge, and I can only choose one, I'm assuming the Wing is my best bet? Most luxurious/best shower? Is that cabana with bath as awesome as it is in pictures?

Flying back from Singapore to NYC, on Cathay my layover is much longer - 5:10 AM to 4:10 PM. but we'll be in business, so we will only have access to business lounges.

Can I go lounge hopping? How does that work, technically?
Again priorities are: shower, coffee, dim sum. Maybe a fruit smoothie and lunch/nice drink pre-departure. Which lounge is best for what? what should be my order?

Considering that your first layover is so short and showers are your priority, visiting Wing F and grabbing a cabana would be the best choice. They also have the coffee loft on the J side of the Wing where you can grab as decent as a cup of coffee will go in a CX lounge.

For your second visit, IMO the Bridge is absolutely worth the visit (I love the vibe) and you can pop into the reno-ed QF lounge. Other lesser priorities IMO: Cabin (for fancy fresh juices/smoothies), Pier J/F (currently under renovation) and Wing J (since you've been there once already, but you can go back for coffee). Food is pretty even all across the board (not sure about the new QF lounge). However, I'd definitely go back to Wing J for a quick bowl of dan dan noodles/fresh dim sum after 11am if you're looking for a good lunch.

Recommended rough timeline:
Morning: Bridge (fresh pastries/breakfast), Cabin (optional for juice/smoothies)
Lunch: Wing J (Lunch)
Afternoon: QF Lounge (heard good things about it, no first hand exp)
Pier J if time allows...

Lounge hopping: For CX lounges- all you need to do is surrender your lounge invite and ask for a lounge re-entry stamp on your boarding pass when you enter a CX lounge for the first time and flash it every time you enter a new CX lounge. For the QF lounge, simply show your J boarding pass.

Happy hopping! Would love a hopping day/F flight right about now...

P.S. Mods this can probably be merged with the other lounge hop thread...

Last edited by b-kpf; Apr 15, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Halle8: I am moving your question to a thread where a similar question was recently asked.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Flying back from Singapore to NYC, on Cathay my layover is much longer - 5:10 AM to 4:10 PM. but we'll be in business, so we will only have access to business lounges.
I hope you have plans to venture into the city instead of spending 11 hours in the Airport...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Actually saw someone being refused entry to the lounges at lower entrance level yesterday at lunchtime. I was in mid conversation stood behind the counters with a CX manager and it appears the guy has arrived the day before and been in the airport since early morning the day before. He seemed like he was expecting the refusal.What was even more strange was they told him they know his bag is full of drinks he has taken from the lounge. He went off in a real huff but didnt seem to want to hang around while they got the lounge manager.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
The arrival lounges at LHR is using the AA lounge, now correct me if I am wrong but a trip I did last year I ended up using the BA lounge. It was nice to have slept the whole flight with a dinner in the F HKG lounge and then get breakfast before my driver collected me as he can never get there before 7 30 am and we usually land pretty damm early on those LHR flights. Both lounges are good but double check if you need to be in transit for the BA one which I might well have been.

Originally Posted by derek2010
I am still waitlist-ing flights for London (Business) in the following itinerary:
29/4: CX251
30/4: CX255
30/4: CX239
6/5: CX254

How should I plan the lounge hop (3 pax together) for the following possible cases once the itinerary is confirmed?
Lounge planned to visit at HKG:
The Wing (Business), The Bridge, The Cabin, Qantas Hong Kong Lounge (Business), The Pier (Business)
Case 1: if CX251 is confirmed
Case 2: if CX255 is confirmed
Case 3: if CX239 is confirmed
Please provide me a lounge hop sequence for maximizing the lounge usage prior to boarding.

Also, should I pay a visit to the Arrival Lounge at LHR if CX251 or CX255 is confirmed?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mayodave
The arrival lounges at LHR is using the AA lounge, now correct me if I am wrong but a trip I did last year I ended up using the BA lounge. It was nice to have slept the whole flight with a dinner in the F HKG lounge and then get breakfast before my driver collected me as he can never get there before 7 30 am and we usually land pretty damm early on those LHR flights. Both lounges are good but double check if you need to be in transit for the BA one which I might well have been.
You can't access the airside BA lounge without an onward boarding pass.

BA does not operate an arrivals lounge in T3, so AA is the only option (it would be anyway, since the arrivals lounge access is individually negotiated and is not a oneworld benefit)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
I would suggest you spend half an hour to check out the new QF lounge, then soak up the remainder of your 3.5 hours at Wing F. Forget about the rest, it would be quite a 'walk of shame' for you to visit CX's J lounges, where you will be treated as "second class citizens" on your F award ticket.
I completely agree with this. I didn't realize the Qantas lounge was new or I would have checked it out a few weeks ago. I also checked out the bridge and it was a long walk for a lounge that was very crowded compared to the Wing.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Flying HKGJFK once again, CX846 which is an 1840 departure. Normally I connect in HKG so only have a brief period of time, which I tend to take at the Wing.

This year, however I'm spending the previous night in HKG. Family interested in city stuff, so I'm thinking of splitting off and allowing a solid 4 hours airside to explore before our flight. Assuming I want to work my way up to the Wing (and indeed, the US flights leave from there so it only makes sense) how would you construct your ultimate lounge hop itinerary? Obviously interested in the QF lounge given current thread. Oh yes, traveling in F and am OW Emerald.

Design me a plan if you feel motivated. (and yes, I've read the sticky, I know what lounges are available, I'm more interested in how one would build the itinerary for maximum impact, with an eye towards food, drink and design).

Thanks in advance - Jamie
Honestly in my opinion there is so much more to do and explore in Hong Kong itself than to wonder around airport lounges. On departure from Hong Kong I'd minimize the time st the airport. Just my two cents.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkingsle
Honestly in my opinion there is so much more to do and explore in Hong Kong itself than to wonder around airport lounges. On departure from Hong Kong I'd minimize the time st the airport. Just my two cents.
I respect this view. But I live to fly. My idea of fun as a 12 yr old was getting my parents to drive me to Newark airport so I could just wander around. Now people pay me to discuss aviation. But I digress...

PM me any good ideas, we have about 22 hrs of total ground time in HKG (which must include sleep), kids aged 11 and 13. Happy to explore the city.

Be well - Jamie
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by jkingsle
I think it's quite easy to become a bit jaded with the whole premium travel thing, forgetting that for many people it's a luxury they rarely experience and therefore a big deal.

And of course there are also the aviation nuts that love anything airport or aircraft, so their definition of a good day out is hanging around lounges and watching aircraft movement.

I personally only have a few lounges left that I'm actually keen to try out, and find the rest of them quite boring. But I also fully see that for some people, it remains something they wish to experience as much as possible.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:03 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by b-kpf
Considering that your first layover is so short and showers are your priority, visiting Wing F and grabbing a cabana would be the best choice. They also have the coffee loft on the J side of the Wing where you can grab as decent as a cup of coffee will go in a CX lounge.

For your second visit, IMO the Bridge is absolutely worth the visit (I love the vibe) and you can pop into the reno-ed QF lounge. Other lesser priorities IMO: Cabin (for fancy fresh juices/smoothies), Pier J/F (currently under renovation) and Wing J (since you've been there once already, but you can go back for coffee). Food is pretty even all across the board (not sure about the new QF lounge). However, I'd definitely go back to Wing J for a quick bowl of dan dan noodles/fresh dim sum after 11am if you're looking for a good lunch.

Recommended rough timeline:
Morning: Bridge (fresh pastries/breakfast), Cabin (optional for juice/smoothies)
Lunch: Wing J (Lunch)
Afternoon: QF Lounge (heard good things about it, no first hand exp)
Pier J if time allows...

Lounge hopping: For CX lounges- all you need to do is surrender your lounge invite and ask for a lounge re-entry stamp on your boarding pass when you enter a CX lounge for the first time and flash it every time you enter a new CX lounge. For the QF lounge, simply show your J boarding pass.

Happy hopping! Would love a hopping day/F flight right about now...

P.S. Mods this can probably be merged with the other lounge hop thread...
Thank you for your helpful reply, KPF!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:12 am

I hope you have plans to venture into the city instead of spending 11 hours in the Airport...
It is not my first time in HK. I've been there multiple times. Not the case for HK lounges. I will also be there in HK on an engineered 23hr 55min stopover 5 days before this layover. Some late night exploring, some good dim sum in the morning...

But, on this stopover, coming out would be more stress than it is worth. Have to store luggage, go through immigration (I need a visa for HK, btw), than to get back 2 hours before... Not sure it is worth it, considering I've seen all the "must see" HK attractions already and have no specific place in mind.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:59 pm

I just did Bridge -> Cabin -> Wing J/F. Went to Qantas after Cabin, but unfortunately they were closed.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

It is not my first time in HK. I've been there multiple times. Not the case for HK lounges. I will also be there in HK on an engineered 23hr 55min stopover 5 days before this layover. Some late night exploring, some good dim sum in the morning...

But, on this stopover, coming out would be more stress than it is worth. Have to store luggage, go through immigration (I need a visa for HK, btw), than to get back 2 hours before... Not sure it is worth it, considering I've seen all the "must see" HK attractions already and have no specific place in mind.
Ure enjoying ur flight experience and for that i know, such people arent in the cx lounges....yet. You might have to put up with other snobbish behavior tho.

Im not a bakery person so wing F, cabin and qf lounge to go. I guess if you have a 31+ gate then bridge is ok too

Last edited by sxc; Apr 27, 2014 at 1:41 am Reason: Removed discriminatory paragraph.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:10 am

First and Last Stops

Two quick questions, if I may.

1. Do the flights departing for the U.S. still leave from Gates 1, 2, 3, 4, and 21, mostly? (That is, making Wing the obvious choice as the last stop.)

2. Upthread, Avm2806 posted that you can have luggage checked before starting the hopping. Since he specified F, I assume it is Wing that he was talking about? Is similar service available in any other lounges?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.