Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Zurich [confirmed], Boston [confirmed], Manchester [confirmed]!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zurich [confirmed], Boston [confirmed], Manchester [confirmed]!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CX828
A HKG-NRT-MIA if with 5th Freedom would be great!!! Linking 3 OW hubs!
I don't think the 77W Can fly without penalty HKG-MIA nonstop? I don't know though. Anyways that would become one of the world's longest nonstop flights

I'd say another recommendation is GRU, particularly now it is a OW hub. Every carrier that knows about anything is already flying to GRU, with multiple Asian carriers via 5th freedom port. CX needs to as well. Perhaps via MXP?
Just codeshare with QR from DOH in order to minimise risk...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
You'd expect Brussels over Zurich, and you think the yield would be better ?. Are you having a laugh ?

Or the 25 year old SQ service to SIN....
Doesn't that stop in MUC?

SIN is also a pretty rubbish place to connect for China/Japan.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
That's interesting, as CX only have nine 77G's in service...and only two of which was delivered new in the past year. The EWR launch already requires the use of additional 77G's daily. Does CX even have enough to go around?
I wonder if CX has increased the planned number of 77Gs because JNB and AMS will go daily 77G soon.... that will require 4 extra frames.

So there has to be more 77G coming, not just the original 9.
SFO will be needing a 77G 6X weekly starting in Sep / and daily starting in late October too.

With 15 more 777's on the way, has anyone ever find out what's the split between the numbers of 77G/77H?
Of the 15 777-300ERs on its way, 9 is planned for delivery in 2014.
But CX is also planning to retire 6 747's by end of 2014, ie. SFO above. Assuming 1 to 1 replacement ratio...that's only 3 extra frames by the end of the year...

3 extra frames to share among JNB / AMS / ORD / MAN?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Of the 15 777-300ERs on its way, 9 is planned for delivery in 2014.
But CX is also planning to retire 6 747's by end of 2014, ie. SFO above. Assuming 1 to 1 replacement ratio...that's only 3 extra frames by the end of the year...

3 extra frames to share among JNB / AMS / ORD / MAN?
But even though they are replacing 747s, they are affectively only replacing 2 747s for SFO and maybe 1.5/2 747s for JNB. The other 747s are flying shorthaul/midhaul which are not 77W routes.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:45 am

I told you guys not to jun the gun regarding MAN until a credible source has been posted!

And is Cathay Boy around? I just wanted to let him know that EWR looks like it will be getting a second daily flight which means i'll hopefully be getting his good graces.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Not sure if this would be a poor speculation, but given that CX does 5x LHR daily, will they route one of them as intermediate stops in LHR to terminate at MAN a la SQ 328/7 SIN MUC MAN vv?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:52 am

And speaking of LHR, they really want additional slots but slots are hard to come by.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: SQ PPS - M&M SEN - QR Platinum - ITA Executive - IC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
You'd expect Brussels over Zurich, and you think the yield would be better ?. Are you having a laugh ?
I think you misunderstood my post
On HKG you are 100% right about the yields, BUT this is without taking into account the direct competition of LX -> yields will drop due to competition, also for beyond connex (SQ and LX to SIN).

BTW, this holds not for all destinations, for example on SIN the average yield from BRU tends to be higher than the one from ZRH (source: MIDT data)
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by maortega15
And speaking of LHR, they really want additional slots but slots are hard to come by.
I think it is absolutely incredible that CX want 2x daily EWR!! And that they would jump at the opportunity for a 6th daily to LHR!!!!!

Unbelievable that an airline can sustain this type of demand and growth in single markets. It is certainly very impressive, hopefully they can get more slots.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:03 pm
Suspended

I think it is absolutely incredible that CX want 2x daily EWR!! And that they would jump at the opportunity for a 6th daily to LHR!!!!!

Unbelievable that an airline can sustain this type of demand and growth in single markets. It is certainly very impressive, hopefully they can get more slots.
For LHR actually the whole market has not grown that much:
Considering

QF pulled out = 1 x 744
NZ pulled out = 1 X 77W

BA just reinstated the 2nd flight and VS still had 1 flight daily?

So in total only 8 flights to LHR daily compare to 10 flights daily in the peak time
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Not sure if this would be a poor speculation, but given that CX does 5x LHR daily, will they route one of them as intermediate stops in LHR to terminate at MAN a la SQ 328/7 SIN MUC MAN vv?
They'd have to get an extra slot at LHR to fly that, and if they got one there is no way they would use it to fly a short tag-on to MAN. MAN might simply be a way for CX to get an extra flight into the UK, in effect routing those from the Manchester/North West England area through MAN instead of having them go down to LHR. So it effectively can add some frequency to the LHR services by freeing up a planeload worth of seats from the existing LHR services, and should pick up a lot of new MAN traffic, since London Airways BA has such "great" service throughout the UK to connect already .
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
do you have any idea if any additional SFO flights are in the works?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:25 pm
Suspended

When will LHR-JFK be launched?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by janvdr
I think you misunderstood my post
On HKG you are 100% right about the yields, BUT this is without taking into account the direct competition of LX -> yields will drop due to competition, also for beyond connex (SQ and LX to SIN).

BTW, this holds not for all destinations, for example on SIN the average yield from BRU tends to be higher than the one from ZRH (source: MIDT data)
I do not understand what you mean. There is no direct flight between SIN and BRU. What do you mean by higher yield?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by correctioncx
When will LHR-JFK be launched?
I hope for this in order to bring more capacity to this route, though I doubt it will be approved or that CX is interested in flying this...
(plus this would likely rely solely on O/D as AA would rather provide feed to its own metal or BA metal which they revenue share.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.