Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Zurich [confirmed], Boston [confirmed], Manchester [confirmed]!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zurich [confirmed], Boston [confirmed], Manchester [confirmed]!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by maortega15
We were looking at Seattle and Dallas as future North American routes, but no mention of Boston.
Doubt Dallas will happen considering AA has started services.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by makin'miles
International services at Boston have grown significantly since JAL launched the NRT flight a couple of years ago. New flights for 2014 include DXB (EK), IST (TK) and PEK (HU). I wonder if its too much additional capacity for BOS... will be interesting to see how future growth plays out.
New service or not, fares ex-BOS are high as ever.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cassie55
MAN is likely to be confirmed next week.

It won't be daily and it won't have F. It'll be a 3 class 777.
That's interesting, as CX only have nine 77G's in service...and only two of which was delivered new in the past year. The EWR launch already requires the use of additional 77G's daily. Does CX even have enough to go around?

Or maybe it's alternating days with ORD's new CX800/801 that's schedule for Tue, Thu, Sat starting in August?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
That's interesting, as CX only have nine 77G's in service...and only two of which was delivered new in the past year. The EWR launch already requires the use of additional 77G's daily. Does CX even have enough to go around?

Or maybe it's alternating days with ORD's new CX800/801 that's schedule for Tue, Thu, Sat starting in August?
I wonder if CX has increased the planned number of 77Gs because JNB and AMS will go daily 77G soon.... that will require 4 extra frames.

Plus they are using already 77G
up to 2x daily LHR
10 x weekly YYZ
1x daily YVR
1x daily EWR
3x weekly ORD (soon)

So there has to be more 77G coming, not just the original 9.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:01 pm
Suspended

SFO will be needing a 77G 6X weekly starting in Sep / and daily starting in late October too.

77G
B-KQD - 19-02-2013
B-KQE - 19-03-2013
B-KQF - 20-05-2013
B-KQL - 20-12-2013

77H
B-KQG - 20-08-2013
B-KQH - 23-09-2013
B-KQI - 30-09-2013
B-KQJ - 29-10-2013
B-KQK - 05-12-2013

??
B-KQM - ??-04-2014

With 15 more 777's on the way, has anyone ever find out what's the split between the numbers of 77G/77H?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by CX828
I don't think BOS will be started until the A350s start to arrive. 77W will not be economical and will provide excessive capacity. I am sure it will be launched with A350 from 2015-16.
JL ran 777s to BOS while they were unable to use the 787s. Did JL have issues with the aircraft, either loads or weight limits, during that period?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by correctioncx
But are there that much premium traffic up north?
Market research showed a significant amount of passengers travelling from the North to LHR and AMS to connect to Asian LH flights. I am going to try and find it as I am sure I read it on FT, someone linked the report as it made really interesting reading about how CDG FRA & AMS were gearing up to take transit business away from LHR. If I recall Willie Walsh of BA was harping on about how he thought it was a great idea and how BA is not married to LHR.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:06 am

But are there that much premium traffic up north?
Second wealthiest area of the UK, huge Chinese community, and very few options for getting to the Far East. Either connect in London, a place many Mancs hate, or get one of the EK or QR flights and connect through the Middle East. A direct flight on a Chinese (like it or not) airline will be a big hit. I'll certainly use it.^
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Himeno
JL ran 777s to BOS while they were unable to use the 787s. Did JL have issues with the aircraft, either loads or weight limits, during that period?
It was a 777-200ER not 777-300ER.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phol
Second wealthiest area of the UK, huge Chinese community, and very few options for getting to the Far East. Either connect in London, a place many Mancs hate, or get one of the EK or QR flights and connect through the Middle East. A direct flight on a Chinese (like it or not) airline will be a big hit. I'll certainly use it.^
I'm thinking for LHR pax especially in J class maybe this will be a good option as
1) you pay less APD
2) Arrival into London not too early in the morning
3) avoid the use of the middle eastern airlines which make the journey too long
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:58 am

I'm thinking for LHR pax especially in J class maybe this will be a good option as
1) you pay less APD
Makes no difference I'm afraid. You pay the same rate from anywhere in the UK.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
1) you pay less APD
2) Arrival into London not too early in the morning
3) avoid the use of the middle eastern airlines which make the journey too long
No difference in APD regardless of where you are in UK.. Only Isle of Man and Jersey don't have to pay APD.

The only people travelling to London who it may be attractive to are the ones living/working near LGW as they can transit in MAN to LGW. But even then, personally I would always choose a direct flight to my destination city
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by janvdr
I understand the logic behind Manchester. But Zurich and Munich,...
....I would have expected Barcelona & Madrid (no competition, feeder network)and Brussels (good yields and no competition to Asia/Pacific)
You'd expect Brussels over Zurich, and you think the yield would be better ?. Are you having a laugh ?

Originally Posted by phol
.......very few options for getting to the Far East. Either connect in London, a place many Mancs hate, or get one of the EK or QR flights and connect through the Middle East.
Or the 25 year old SQ service to SIN....
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Bronze | DELTA Skymiles | EK Skywards | Lufthansa Miles&More
potential intercontinental CX routes

Below are some potential CX intercontinantal routes and their attractiveness as rated by me from 1-10

Europe:
Madrid - great for South America onward connections; low yields but high connection potential to China and the Philippines - 6
Munich - probably not enough demand to offer a daily flight due to competition from Lufthansa; decent yields; HK feed is limited to Southern China/Taiwan/The Philippines - 5
Helsinki - leverages Finnair connecting power to Scandinavia and Europe in general; convenient geographic location - 8

Africa:
Nairobi - fierce competition from the Gulf carriers and low yields but with feed from Mainland China (especially Guangdong) there might be sufficient demand - 3

North America:
Washington - strong yields but only 14000 O&D; great link via HKG to Southeast Asia and Southern China -5
Miami - AA hub for Latin America; virtually no competition; 350000 annual O&D Miami to Asia; feasibility study (therouteshop.com) reveals a daily 77W service is feasible - personally i doubt that but nevertheless interesting to hear; HKG-Miami+Orlando O&D 19000+9000; noteworthy: annual O&D Japan to Florida is more than 100K! - 8

Recommendations:
HKG-HEL 5x343

HKG-MIA 4x77W
or
HKG-NRT-MIA 7x77W
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by EK flyer
Below are some potential CX intercontinantal routes and their attractiveness as rated by me from 1-10

Miami - AA hub for Latin America; virtually no competition; 350000 annual O&D Miami to Asia; feasibility study (therouteshop.com) reveals a daily 77W service is feasible - personally i doubt that but nevertheless interesting to hear; HKG-Miami+Orlando O&D 19000+9000; noteworthy: annual O&D Japan to Florida is more than 100K! - 8

Recommendations:
HKG-HEL 5x343

HKG-MIA 4x77W
or
HKG-NRT-MIA 7x77W
A HKG-NRT-MIA if with 5th Freedom would be great!!! Linking 3 OW hubs!
I don't think the 77W Can fly without penalty HKG-MIA nonstop? I don't know though. Anyways that would become one of the world's longest nonstop flights

I'd say another recommendation is GRU, particularly now it is a OW hub. Every carrier that knows about anything is already flying to GRU, with multiple Asian carriers via 5th freedom port. CX needs to as well. Perhaps via MXP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.