Search

Same Day Flight Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways, Air Canada
Same Day Flight Changes

Hii all,

This is my first ever post , and I would be grateful if you could help.

I'm flying CX256 from LHR to HKG leaving 20:15, and wondered how easy it was to change to an earlier flight with out paying for it. I will be getting to the airport for 15:00 which is far too early. Anyway I know there is 17:00 CX238 and 18:20 CX250.

Do they give you the option when you check in online, or is it worth going on the charm offensive when checking in at the desk.

Any information or insight will be amazing

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by rickwillz
Hii all,

This is my first ever post , and I would be grateful if you could help.

I'm flying CX256 from LHR to HKG leaving 20:15, and wondered how easy it was to change to an earlier flight with out paying for it. I will be getting to the airport for 15:00 which is far too early. Anyway I know there is 17:00 CX238 and 18:20 CX250.

Do they give you the option when you check in online, or is it worth going on the charm offensive when checking in at the desk.

Any information or insight will be amazing

Thanks
Do you know what fare class your ticket is booked into?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Do you know what fare class your ticket is booked into?
My class of travel is "V"

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

My past experience w lhr is they will look at fare rules properly. It was in 2006 and i was probably silver
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

My past experience w lhr is they will look at fare rules properly. It was in 2006 and i was probably silver
Fingers crossed, its not the end of the world either way and I'm guessing it might fall down to how generous and what the loads are like, I'm just going to check in straight away when I get to LHR and hope they get the hint
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Does your ticket fare rules allow free rebookings? I am not familiar with V class but when I'm flying discount Prem Econ E/R or steeply discounted Biz I, it usually permitted free or nominal cost (less than $50) rebookings.

The key though is the new flight you want to move to needs to have your original booking class available.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchen2
Does your ticket fare rules allow free rebookings? I am not familiar with V class but when I'm flying discount Prem Econ E/R or steeply discounted Biz I, it usually permitted free or nominal cost (less than $50) rebookings.

The key though is the new flight you want to move to needs to have your original booking class available.
I've been told £60 each by my travel agents, but I'm kinda hopeful that Cathay will take pity on me and just let me on earlier and I'm there!!!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:25 am
Suspended

When are you flying?

Have you consider looking into whether CX238/250 is [fairly] full?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by rickwillz
Quote:

Originally Posted by dchen2

I've been told £60 each by my travel agents, but I'm kinda hopeful that Cathay will take pity on me and just let me on earlier and I'm there!!!
That's generally not their style, unless it helps them out (preventing an oversell on your ticketed flight or such). Some outports like PVG and TPE may be different but IME those are the exceptions.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
That's generally not their style, unless it helps them out (preventing an oversell on your ticketed flight or such). Some outports like PVG and TPE may be different but IME those are the exceptions.
+1, at least for my experience on LHR
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
My experience with ground staff at LHR is very good and they might even be grateful of your offer if they have stand by passengers on the later flights, I would call them before heading to the airport, just ask to be put through to the ticketing desk.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka

2006 = 3 flights per day
2014 = 5 flights per day.

However - they may still look at fare rules
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I think it's unlikely they will let you change for free, but if you don't ask you definitely won't get it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
When are you flying?

Have you consider looking into whether CX238/250 is [fairly] full?
15th May, not sure, I've looked at both seat maps which never really say alot!

Thanks for all your advice, I guess it will be a guess of hope for the best!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
I think it's unlikely they will let you change for free, but if you don't ask you definitely won't get it.
sorry but, I am darn sure a shot in football either scores or misses.

Originally Posted by mayodave
My experience with ground staff at LHR is very good and they might even be grateful of your offer if they have stand by passengers on the later flights, I would call them before heading to the airport, just ask to be put through to the ticketing desk.
so are you saying your experience shows they usually/always waived your change fee? iirc u're a DM i'd be very surprised if they did not do so... or they didnt?

Originally Posted by correctioncx
2006 = 3 flights per day
2014 = 5 flights per day.

However - they may still look at fare rules
does the frequency matter more or the experience from LHR matter more for change fee? have you ever gotten change fee waived? Im seriously curious about LHR so I know how to exploit them.

TBH I wonder what status you lot have and what routes you fly most often...
im surprised noone since 2006 have tried to standby for an earlier flight on a ticket with change fee.

PS: Im especially curious why posts here seems to have similar style to someone from a subsidiary of JAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.