Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Sorry, I don't see how this case here is relevant.
1) You're referring to EY fare.
2) At $12k HKD for a HKG-NRT economy flight, chances are you were booking very last minute for CNY.
3) Your profile list you're a SL. You would also had lounge access and extra bag allowance on CX too.
It is relevant given that if that was the Y fare, imagine what Y+ would have been. In terms of the context of the thread, CX's pricing ex-HKG, balancing the price of Y+ for the benefits means that people are starting to question the worth of flying what CX consider as being still Y class. No, it wasn't a last minute fare at all.

Re lounge access, that's my point. Why travel CX for $4,000 more when I can get the same benefits on a *A carrier?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by yokozuma
Interesting to read about the experiences in Premium Economy as I’m looking to book a flight from India to Hong Kong later in the year.

I have some Asia Miles to use up and will be my first time on CX so it’s looking like I will be better off using up a little more miles and going from Y to J instead and missing out Premium Economy although it’s only a 5 hour flight.
I'm pretty sure Y-J upgrades using Asia Miles aren't allowed if Premium Economy is sold on the flight....those award charts showing Y-J mileage totals are still up there as a lot of regional flights don't offer PEY yet, so J is the next class above Y.

Mileage upgrades are only permitted to be one class up. I don't know if CX sells PEY to/from India but if they do you'll have to buy a PEY seat to upgrade to J.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by hau cheng
Some great points above. An issue with CX ex HKG is their pricing . I initially wanted to fly CX to Tokyo during CNY. Econ class alone was 12000 HK. I got a flight on NH for 8000 HK. As a *G can use the lounge and get an extra bag as allowance. It becomes a no brainer
Given all the protests that are going on in BKK, CX still charges HK$3,600 before taxes and surcharges for K booking class during CNY to BKK, while TG charges HK$2,400 before taxes and surcharges (I didn't check booking class). Yes Y+ pricing must be out of whack for BKK too.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by zhaobao
Given all the protests that are going on in BKK, CX still charges HK$3,600 before taxes and surcharges for K booking class during CNY to BKK, while TG charges HK$2,400 before taxes and surcharges (I didn't check booking class). Yes Y+ pricing must be out of whack for BKK too.
Apologies to the mods if going off topic. That's interesting given that EK's J class is a little over $4000. In the context of the thread, its interesting to see what the market thinks of CX's Y+ intra-Asia pricing.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by AussieCR
As a J flyer now (both long haul and inter-asia under both Corporate and Private), there is nothing they could do to alter the Y+ product that would have me fly it because as you say the seat is key but also front of plane ambience and comfort when flying so much.

In general it seems more of a upwards step from Y then a backwards step from J (unless as someone stated there company forces it upon them - time to update the CV!)
Originally Posted by Kachjc
CX has no intention of diverting passengers away from business to premium, and the air NZ config is only sustainable on certain routes - HKG is a different world to NZ

But that's the thing.. An upgraded meal isn't going to be the point of deciding what cabin to buy, yet it gives some consistency to the Y+ product. If someone was to fly in Y+ long haul but then buy a separate ticket regionally, you'd want to give that person more of a reason to pay more for Y+ over Y. You're not going to sway the marginal J passengers down to Y+ in the first place - this is more to give a bit more 'prestige' to the Y+ cabin over the Y cabin. Those in J know that they'll be receiving the space etc (not to mention lounge access if they are non-status pax) which Y/Y+ can't offer.

I realise that CX and NZ are different but seeing that only one FA is really needed to keep an eye on the Y+ cabin, it wouldn't be a detriment to the J service if one J FA 'looked after' the Y+ cabin (reassigning that Y+ FA to be part of the J FA crew rather than the Y FA crew). Having a different mentality (in this case, a premium FA over a Y FA) goes a long way to 'talk up' the product; and word of mouth can carry the message telling people that Y+ is definitely worth it over Y.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ANZ787900
I realise that CX and NZ are different but seeing that only one FA is really needed to keep an eye on the Y+ cabin, it wouldn't be a detriment to the J service if one J FA 'looked after' the Y+ cabin (reassigning that Y+ FA to be part of the J FA crew rather than the Y FA crew). Having a different mentality (in this case, a premium FA over a Y FA) goes a long way to 'talk up' the product; and word of mouth can carry the message telling people that Y+ is definitely worth it over Y.
Agree totally with the sentiments here, but I think it's practically impossible.

Hopefully this doesn't get too confusing, but here goes: You can't assign 1 dedicated FA to look after PEY by borrowing a J FA...you'd need 2. The way J (and Y) works is you have FAs whose responsibility is one sector, and the sectors are by aisle. There are indeed two BCs assigned to the J cabin (presumably the BCs would be stuck with PEY service), but they operate in totally separate parts of the J cabin. FAs just aren't assigned their position by row because it's impractical without a galley to walk through. They can't climb over seats . The way they blend the J/PEY pre-flight service currently is just 2 different FAs bring hot towels down their respective A or K aisle that is their responsibility for the flight (I'm using 77H as example but the concept holds for all the planes) and those two FAs continue on through PEY.

So yes, the follow up is you could therefore have 2 J FAs serve PEY which is probably how it should be done in an ideal world, but you have the unfortunate issue of a breakdown in cabin integrity between J and PEY. Because the FAs are going to have to go back and forth either through the curtain, or you just have to eliminate the curtain altogether. Either way, and you're basically inviting the PEY passengers up into the J section, and I probably wouldn't want to pi$$ off the J pax by doing that. The other not-so-good-solution is to only have one J FA serve, and cross over on the first row of PEY in front of the pax in the bulkhead. But that's really a terrible idea especially when they're carrying food, drinks or hot beverages, and still doesn't get around the fact the J FAs will have to cross through the curtain to PEY.

The problem...which I think CX whiffed on, but it's probably not a big enough problem to reconfig planes for....is they screwed up not putting PEY next to a galley on 77H. By not having it next to a galley they saddled themselves with this "who serves PEY" problem and what's the best bad solution. Can't say it's new to CX, in the last 6-7 years, CX really has whiffed at configging their planes efficiently - there was the old J rollout, short-lived 77D which they quickly scrapped, etc. Wasting money because they can't seem to get the designs right the first time.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QRC3288
The problem...which I think CX whiffed on, but it's probably not a big enough problem to reconfig planes for....is they screwed up not putting PEY next to a galley on 77H. By not having it next to a galley they saddled themselves with this "who serves PEY" problem and what's the best bad solution. Can't say it's new to CX, in the last 6-7 years, CX really has whiffed at configging their planes efficiently - there was the old J rollout, short-lived 77D which they quickly scrapped, etc. Wasting money because they can't seem to get the designs right the first time.
Agree with all your points here. I am curious, however, to see what you think CX did wrong with configuring their old planes efficiently. What was wrong with the 77D?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:16 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
Agree with all your points here. I am curious, however, to see what you think CX did wrong with configuring their old planes efficiently. What was wrong with the 77D?
I think OP was referring to the fact that right after they spent money reconfiguring the lavs on the 77D, they introduced PEY, which necessitated reconfiguration yet again.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:25 pm

The reconfiguration of the bathroom during the 77D refit was so that the (future) PEY cabin would have a dedicated bathroom. I guess the only way to solve this "FA" issue would be to reconfigure the Y galley right behind the PEY cabin as well.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Agree totally with the sentiments here, but I think it's practically impossible.

Hopefully this doesn't get too confusing, but here goes: You can't assign 1 dedicated FA to look after PEY by borrowing a J FA...you'd need 2. The way J (and Y) works is you have FAs whose responsibility is one sector, and the sectors are by aisle. There are indeed two BCs assigned to the J cabin (presumably the BCs would be stuck with PEY service), but they operate in totally separate parts of the J cabin. FAs just aren't assigned their position by row because it's impractical without a galley to walk through. They can't climb over seats . The way they blend the J/PEY pre-flight service currently is just 2 different FAs bring hot towels down their respective A or K aisle that is their responsibility for the flight (I'm using 77H as example but the concept holds for all the planes) and those two FAs continue on through PEY.

So yes, the follow up is you could therefore have 2 J FAs serve PEY which is probably how it should be done in an ideal world, but you have the unfortunate issue of a breakdown in cabin integrity between J and PEY. Because the FAs are going to have to go back and forth either through the curtain, or you just have to eliminate the curtain altogether. Either way, and you're basically inviting the PEY passengers up into the J section, and I probably wouldn't want to pi$$ off the J pax by doing that. The other not-so-good-solution is to only have one J FA serve, and cross over on the first row of PEY in front of the pax in the bulkhead. But that's really a terrible idea especially when they're carrying food, drinks or hot beverages, and still doesn't get around the fact the J FAs will have to cross through the curtain to PEY.

Fair enough. Such annoying complications due to the layout! It's such a pity too. Let's hope they fix something by the time the 779s arrive.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Well, to be frankly honest even regional J doesn't get water (I've been to BKK in J last month). I'm not surprised regional PEY doesn't.

I can confirm long-haul PEY (i.e. HKG-SYD in my case) gets Evian.
I can also confirm long-haul PEY (YYZ-HKG-YYZ) received a personal bottled water, Evian ex-HKG, local brand ex-YYZ.

My CX PEY is limited to long haul and my "biggest complaint" about PEY is the lack of a dedicated toilet. There was also no dedicated allotment of mid-flight snacks for PEY, it came from the same inventory as Y so they ran out very fast.

The curtain was closed on all my long haul PEY flights.

I treated PEY as an enhanced economy experience rather than a "watered down" J offer.

The extra cost on the YYZ-HKG-YYZ route over regular economy is quite reasonable to make it more than acceptable value for money.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 28, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
My CX PEY is limited to long haul and my "biggest complaint" about PEY is the lack of a dedicated toilet.
There is one in the 77H, just not the 77G serving YYZ. However, given the relatively small "mini cabin" in Y, and ratio of pax in PEY...its not too big of a problem.

I'll refrain from commenting on the other parts of your post as its OT for this "regional" thread.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

I'll refrain from commenting on the other parts of your post as its OT for this "regional" thread.
Thank you for the reminder to stick to topic!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
My CX PEY is limited to long haul and my "biggest complaint" about PEY is the lack of a dedicated toilet.
There is one in the 77H, just not the 77G serving YYZ. However, given the relatively small "mini cabin" in Y, and ratio of pax in PEY...its not too big of a problem.
Been a while since I been on a 343 (thankfully).

Anyone have any experience with the 34J and PEY's toilet?
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...0-300-34j.html
I would assume PEY pax have acesss to the forward toilet? Or is it closed off for J pax only?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific Long Haul Premium Economy Service/Discussion/Thoughts

Dear all,

Since there are also some interests on discussing the long haul premium economy cabin/service, I mind as well start a new thread so we can talk about it! People who have questions about long haul PE can also take a quick look here!

My long haul PE service was quite limited and CX actually uses selective part of my trip report as their promotion! You can read about it at FT or CX website.

Hopefully we can start a meaningful discussion here!

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.