Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Change of aircraft -> Prem Eco down to Eco

Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat

Apparently my award booking originally confirmed on Premium Economy has just been changed to Economy due to a change in aircraft. I assume they will refund the differential in points? Can I check with you experts what other options are possible? (e.g. changing destinations? any compensation?) Thx.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by lululee
Apparently my award booking originally confirmed on Premium Economy has just been changed to Economy due to a change in aircraft. I assume they will refund the differential in points? Can I check with you experts what other options are possible? (e.g. changing destinations? any compensation?) Thx.
where and when is your flight
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I've received this before:

Thank you for choosing Cathay Pacific Airways. We apologise
that due to operational requirement, the following flight
has been changed from Premium Economy Class to Economy Class:

To : CX524 X 20DEC HKGNRT

Our Customer Sales Officer will contact you or our airport team
will arrange a refund on the fare difference from Premiun Economy
to Economy Class as applicable or make alternative arrangement
for you.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Should you have any questions, please contact the local
Cathay Pacific reservations office.

Please do not reply to this email and please ignore this email
in case if you have already changed your itinerary.
I ended up getting an upgrade to J - not sure if its cuz I'm an OWS or they figured we would all make a fuss since its a redeye to tokyo and that was one of the high yield flights.
So it seems to me they would either refund your miles or pay cash compensations depending on the case. or perhaps if you're lucky they would upgrade you.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks Kaka. Will let you know how it goes when they call.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
where and when is your flight
Hi, my flight is to KIX in October...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Hi, my flight is to KIX in October...
from a common sense perspective, it doesn't compute to me that you'd get compensation as asked in the original question. i mean, would that make sense to you? the flight is 10 months away and it's a relatively short regional flight!

i think the most logical thing is just for you to ultimately get charged the regular economy rate in miles. I can't imagine you'd want to re-route for something as minute as a PEY vs EY seat for a 4 hour flight. if you really do want the better legroom, maybe you could talk to them to refund the whole thing, and then rebook in J class.

i certainly don't think you should get penalized in this situation (aka, losing miles, get stuck with a ticket you won't use, etc.) but I don't think CX owes you anything either. I suspect they'll be quite reasonable if you just call them. I wouldn't wait for them to call you.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:46 am
Suspended

Or what you can do is....write to Oriental Daily

Fresh from today:
https://www.facebook.com/cathaypacif...95626337247742
https://www.facebook.com/cathaypacif...52136397733467
http://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/news/...00196_004.html
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by kaka
I've received this before:

I ended up getting an upgrade to J - not sure if its cuz I'm an OWS or they figured we would all make a fuss since its a redeye to tokyo and that was one of the high yield flights.
So it seems to me they would either refund your miles or pay cash compensations depending on the case. or perhaps if you're lucky they would upgrade you.
Interesting.. My F redemption HKG-TPE flight was changed for a 773 and I was put into a middle seat in the 2nd row of J.. And no such email notifying me of the change.. I'll be keeping a close eye on MMB right until my departure date. Even then, what's the scope for being able to change back to F if there's a last minute change? Does that come down to award availability?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
Involuntary Downgraded - appropriate compensation?

I bought a Premium Economy Flight for my Dad in April
LHR-HKG-DPS-HKG-LHR

I received an email today explaining that due to operational blah blah, he is downgraded on the DPS-HKG leg from E to V.
Looks like a switch from 744 to 773.

I spoke to MPO and they were helpful and came back after speaking to the appropriate department with an offer.

1) PY miles granted regardless (so the extra 10%)
2) One upgrade cert for future travel (subject to availability)
3) US$40

Given this is an ex-EU ticket i am guessing this might not appropriate but wondered what everyone thought....its only one leg and for tickets like this the HKG-DPS return leg is probably not that much $....
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ANZ787900
Interesting.. My F redemption HKG-TPE flight was changed for a 773 and I was put into a middle seat in the 2nd row of J.. And no such email notifying me of the change.. I'll be keeping a close eye on MMB right until my departure date. Even then, what's the scope for being able to change back to F if there's a last minute change? Does that come down to award availability?
dont worry. hardly anyone pays for F to TPE. i think most people do this with a connection fare. but would anyone pay for it when F is not confirmed? F award exists cuz its the same cost as just the longhaul flight. (not not EVERY award either, say, from BA avios it does cost more)

TBH its a whole load of b@!!@cks that they reported on OD. i can safely assume they opuped as many as possible(still, based on normal OPUP rules)and those statusless and low on the status ladder go down. Technically i was due to be in Y too. and the upgrade coupon would value way more than what it costed her. if it wasnt a red eye and i was sick i would much prefer it that way. procedures is just like invol deboarding/downgrade. I dont see anything wrong. or they could question how they've gotten 40USD even with the fare difference. they should have fought that or sue CX. getting to press does nothing really.

Last edited by kaka; Jan 24, 2014 at 6:39 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brithk
I bought a Premium Economy Flight for my Dad in April
LHR-HKG-DPS-HKG-LHR

I received an email today explaining that due to operational blah blah, he is downgraded on the DPS-HKG leg from E to V.
Looks like a switch from 744 to 773.

I spoke to MPO and they were helpful and came back after speaking to the appropriate department with an offer.

3) US$40

Given this is an ex-EU ticket i am guessing this might not appropriate but wondered what everyone thought....its only one leg and for tickets like this the HKG-DPS return leg is probably not that much $....
Seems consistent.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Jan 24, 2014 at 7:58 am Reason: Quote from original post added by mod as posts were merged into current thread.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brithk
3) US$40
How should i put it...
point 1: (IMHO) indifferent for invol DG compared to normal cases.
point 2: has always been the case for any Invol DG. ie indifferent.
point 3: what????? normal downgrades includes price different... no?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
I have been refunded the point differential between J and F before when they canceled F on the return leg of a roundtrip upgrade. However, no compensation in addition was involved.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by b-kpf
I have been refunded the point differential between J and F before when they canceled F on the return leg of a roundtrip upgrade. However, no compensation in addition was involved.
cuz you flew with CX AM right? I wonder how they do it if it were a BA/AA award
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
WOW........ After reading this posting, I felt I have been very lucky. It happened on my flight from SIN - HKG almost 2 year ago, supposely a PEY seat but due to last minute change of aircraft with no PEY. I was explained at the gate and upgraded to Business class. At that time, I should be a Silver. If Gold I understand, but Silver is so common now. If that means anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.