Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: qsh
77H (777-300ER, F cabin)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-300/777-300er-77h.html

F seats:
1A - very private. Protected by the divider between it and the D seats.

J seats:
Row 11, 12 mini-cabin - very quiet and private
15A has no windows
21 only 1 window.

Y+ seats:
32H/K have lots of legroom.
30D/E/F/G have huge legroom, but passengers walk in front of you to access bathroom. Light spills from bathroom particularly onto 30G.
31A has no window.
34H gets disturbed by the Y section curtain.

Y seats:

77G (777-300ER, no F cabin)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-300/777-300er-77g.html

J seats:
Row 19 has no windows

Y+ seats:
Row 30 has good legroom

Y seats:
39A/C/H/K - lots of legroom

773 (777-300)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-300/777-300-73z.html

J seats:

Y seats:
Row 39 and 67 are bulkheads with better than average legroom and fold out IFE screens
Row 46 missing the window
Row 53 ABC, HJK has very generous legroom but are missing window due to EMEX position. A and K have emergency slide constraining leg room. All seats are near lavs, so some congregation of people. 53DEF has good legroom at bulkhead.

772 (777-200)
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/travel-information/flight/aircraft-fleet/777-200/777-200-B772Z.html

J seats:

Y seats:
Print Wikipost

777-300ER Best seat?

Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
I recently took a couple of trips with Y and Y+ and JohnGreat's observation are also what i observed.

I did want to point out 40K's TV screen is on wall. There is another TV mounted, for 40J. The weird thing though is the earphone jack for 40K is on the right while the controller is on the left. (as is 40J, jack in on the right -- which appears its on top of 40J's controls -- and its controller is on the left). 40H has the TV by the armrest, and i consider this seat almost like 40C when it comes to being bumped by people and the food cart.

39A (and B if a couple) is the best for me if you are not tall as jumbojet19920711 did point out that leg room might be a little too narrow. 71/72 AB and 71HK are also nice seats for couples although you have to remember your choice of meal might not be available anymore since your one of the last to be served.

During the trip I did saw a Thai passenger bring in a "plastic foldable step stool" (google it up) and used that as foot rest. It appears comfortable. She sat in 39B.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cartman7110
39A (and B if a couple) is the best for me if you are not tall as jumbojet19920711 did point out that leg room might be a little too narrow. 71/72 AB and 71HK are also nice seats for couples although you have to remember your choice of meal might not be available anymore since your one of the last to be served.
In longhauls, one meal will start from the front first (~39), and the other meal meal will start from the rear first (~72). So it shouldn't make a difference.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
I still can't make my mind up

Tempted to stick with 40C for the extra leg room. Thinking about power and I would only need a USB port to charge my iphone. Are the USB ports on the side of the screen, in the arm rest?

Is it really that bad, people walking into you in that seat?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
I still can't make my mind up

Tempted to stick with 40C for the extra leg room. Thinking about power and I would only need a USB port to charge my iphone. Are the USB ports on the side of the screen, in the arm rest?

Is it really that bad, people walking into you in that seat?
the trade-off is the extra leg room vs some minor inconvenience when someone bumps in to your seat. It won't be constant. It might happen a couple times. If you can live with that for what is otherwise a good seat then I'd go for it.

And if you don't like it then you will learn for next time
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
the trade-off is the extra leg room vs some minor inconvenience when someone bumps in to your seat. It won't be constant. It might happen a couple times. If you can live with that for what is otherwise a good seat then I'd go for it.

And if you don't like it then you will learn for next time
Exactly my thinking as well. I am going to TPE tomorrow and have OLCI for Seat 40C.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
The USB port is right underneath the PTV screen.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks, i'm going to stick with 40C and if I don't like it will change for the return flight
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: VS Gold
I booked my discounted V fare on the CX website and took the advice of some of you - I booked 39A for CX 255. That should satisfy my requirements: I plan to sleep most of the way and this seems a good bet with my folding stool and a down pillow

I just wonder, isn't 39A considered an "extra legroom seat" ?

If so, I'm a little surprised that I could simply book it. I hope I don't get kicked out!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by maxmin
I booked my discounted V fare on the CX website and took the advice of some of you - I booked 39A for CX 255. That should satisfy my requirements: I plan to sleep most of the way and this seems a good bet with my folding stool and a down pillow

If so, I'm a little surprised that I could simply book it. I hope I don't get kicked out!
The seats have extra legrooms, but extra legroom seats by definition only exist in Y.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by maxmin

The seats on 39 aren't officially designated as 'extra legroom seats'. That designation would fall to some seats on row 59 and also for row 43 on the 77G.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
First flight on CX soon and it's in J on the 777.

I've gone for 11A in the smaller J cabin, any pros and cons to this seat?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by yokozuma

Thanks!
Been in 12A before, really liked the idea of a mini cabin as its nice and private. Would go for those two rows anyday
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Thanks!
i recommend you search for the term "mini cabin" in this Cathay forum. Probably hundreds of pages dedicated to this topic alone.

77H is presumably the plane type you're referring to. 77G does not have the mini cabin. Both are 77W.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
Been in 12A before, really liked the idea of a mini cabin as its nice and private. Would go for those two rows anyday
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
i recommend you search for the term "mini cabin" in this Cathay forum. Probably hundreds of pages dedicated to this topic alone.

77H is presumably the plane type you're referring to. 77G does not have the mini cabin. Both are 77W.
Sorry wasn't familiar with the CX terminology, used to searching for 'Best seat/seating queries' threads on some of the other airline sections which was what led me to this one.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.

Sorry wasn't familiar with the CX terminology, used to searching for 'Best seat/seating queries' threads on some of the other airline sections which was what led me to this one.
No worries it's not really intuitive. We put it up in the FAQ but it's buried in there. Also search for threads that talk about best business class seat inevitably mini cabin is always discussed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.