Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When Will CX Follow Others in Electronics Use? [A: 15 September 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kachjc
if your that desperate to avoid CX fly via taiwan or BKK similar to flying out of SFO if based in LA.
Eh? Hardly similar to SFO and LAX given that Hong Kong, Taiwan and Thailand are different countries with different visa requirements, different currencies, different languages and different governments.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:08 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
15th September 2014 is the day we can use electronic devices from the gate: http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...ke-off-landing

plugging devices into the aircraft’s AC and USB power sockets won't be permitted during takeoff and landing.
This is one thing that I do that Flight Attendants do not stop me from doing currently. I wonder if it will be policed in future.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by QRC3288

I MUST fly out of HKIA. HKG is somewhat a natural monopoly.
Actually I want to laugh when I read this. No one force you fly out of HKIA. If you do not like HKIA, you can take a bus to Shenzhen and fly out of SZX or train to Guangzhou and fly out of CAN or even take ferry to Macau and fly out of MFM.

Or may be soon take high speed train to Beijing or Shangai to fly out of PEK or PVG.

At least, in HKG, you still have more choice compare to SIN.

If you really do not like HKG, you can also move to US where you have more choice.

Sorry not trying to offend anyone, but I just find it funny, people feel like being force to fly our of HKIA. You probably do it out of convenience.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:32 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Please keep this thread on topic ie electronic device use during taxi and takeoff.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:09 am

Electronic device restrictions during take off / landing

From 15 Sept can use smaller electronic devices during landing and take off on CX and KA.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...uring-take-and

http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...1409020340.htm

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...s-flights.html
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Although this is good news to some, it is a very fine light between electronic devices and phones ! I envisage even though announcements might be made, many will still keep their phones on as many cannot differentiate between flight mode and 'off'. CX should have a video is detail that one must first turn phone to Flight Mode and then to turn it OFF. Many don't even do that. How many of us have heard phones ringing just as we're about to land because someone didn't know that they had to turn off their phones.

I'd rather see a blanket ban just to get the message across.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Although this is good news to some, it is a very fine light between electronic devices and phones ! I envisage even though announcements might be made, many will still keep their phones on as many cannot differentiate between flight mode and 'off'. CX should have a video is detail that one must first turn phone to Flight Mode and then to turn it OFF. Many don't even do that. How many of us have heard phones ringing just as we're about to land because someone didn't know that they had to turn off their phones.

I actually turn on data roaming before I turn my phone off.

I started doing this after my iPhone was stolen on an airplane by the seat mate when I went on a bathroom break right before landing. My phone was on airplane mode and turned off, so once it was turned on without my passcode and with the control panel disabled on the lock screen their is no way to remote erase my data.

Now once it's turned on I can erase the phone wherever I am in the world. I have found roaming fees are basically nothing compared to lost private data.

That said I do turn off my phone for the entire flight.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; D6503 Build/17.1.2.A.0.314) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.135 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by alphaod
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

I actually turn on data roaming before I turn my phone off.

I started doing this after my iPhone was stolen on an airplane by the seat mate when I went on a bathroom break right before landing. My phone was on airplane mode and turned off, so once it was turned on without my passcode and with the control panel disabled on the lock screen their is no way to remote erase my data.

Now once it's turned on I can erase the phone wherever I am in the world. I have found roaming fees are basically nothing compared to lost private data.

That said I do turn off my phone for the entire flight.
I think you cannot use remote wipe feature if you turned off data roaming. Happily proven wrong.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sxc
This is one thing that I do that Flight Attendants do not stop me from doing currently. I wonder if it will be policed in future.
Usually the crew will ask me to put the phone and the cable into the pocket... Once I was told the key is don't let the cable hang out so in emergency evacuation it won't hinder others (and yourself actually) to get out
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer the CAAC regulations which prohibit any use of the phone, even in flight mode, for the entire length of the flight. Extremely safe.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I prefer the CAAC regulations which prohibit any use of the phone, even in flight mode, for the entire length of the flight. Extremely safe.
Is it?
That wouldnt stop the existance of phone blowing up...

Otoh hv we actualyy encountered plane accidents caused by using a phone or other electronic equiemts??
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:37 am

On AA I can keep using my Sony Vaio Pro laptop as it is well under their limit of 3lb (1.35kg) max weight. I don't know if there will be any effort to make the rules consistent among OW or all carriers. The current news release seems to say "no laptops". What about netbooks, that look like laptops but are very light?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.