CX 747-400 or A330 Biz class

Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:37 am
Original Poster

CX 747-400 or A330 Biz class

Never flown on Cathay Pacific and am looking to book an awards Biz class seat.

Which is better? Also, in case it matter , it is a daytime flight at around 10A.M ish.

HND to HKG on 747-400
NRT - HKG on A330
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
The 747 is guaranteed long-haul, although the older herringbone (aka "coffin class") product.

The last time I flew to/from NRT, it was a mix of regional and long-haul, and many flights were subject to last-minute changes. So your A330 could feature the newest long-haul business seat, or the regional option.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
The A330 with long-haul product is certainly better, however there might be a change that you will get a regional A330. The herringbone seats on the 747 is certainly by no means a bad product, but some might think that they feel rather narrow and constraint.

I actually don't mind either long-haul product but you might be putting in a gamble with. The A330 for. A regional aircraft where you will be guarenteed a herringbone seat on the 747
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:07 am
Original Poster

thank you both for your replies.

I never knew there were two A330 , long haul and regional.

won't take a chance and will take the HND- HKG on 747 on upper deck.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:43 am

Also, Cathay is phasing out its 747, as early as the end of this month (not sure when your flight is), so it would be a good chance to say goodbye to the CX 747-400.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StAIR
Also, Cathay is phasing out its 747, as early as the end of this month (not sure when your flight is), so it would be a good chance to say goodbye to the CX 747-400.

If it is phased out, will it be on a Better aircraft? What types of aircraft would most likely be substituted?

Not traveling from HND-HKG till November 2014
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by metoo
If it is phased out, will it be on a Better aircraft? What types of aircraft would most likely be substituted?

Not traveling from HND-HKG till November 2014
I wouldn't hold my breath of the CX 744 to be around by then.
HND seems to get dedicated Long-Haul product, it is a premium destination after all.

NRT would be the luck of the draw especially 11 months out.
And the CX 333 I think has 3 to 4 version, the really old 90's regional version, the 2000's regional version, the long haul cirrus version and the new 2010's regional version.

Not sure the newest regional J have made their way to the 333 yet though
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StAIR
I basically did that last month flying 744 F HND-HKG, gonna miss the Jumbo for sure.
And the Kaiseki meals ex-HND are good for sure if you like that type of stuff

Now if I can find more time to write another TR on that lol
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Marco Polo
normally the HND 747 is flown with the refreshed herringbone, which is really not bad of a product to catch some nap on.

meanwhile, the 10am NRT flight most of the time is flown with a 33G, with the FB2 product. but if this is a one time thing and you want to try out the CX product, i would go with the HND flight instead.
in regards to the 330, CX has retrofitted all longhaul with FB2, while the regionals are undergoing the new regional biz "seats"

the 9am NRT flight is 99% flown with the new regional 773 if you are flying with a companion, i actually prefer the "seats" if i am flying with someone else.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by acdaazn
normally the HND 747 is flown with the refreshed herringbone, which is really not bad of a product to catch some nap on.
For napping it's good, not so much for reading newspaper or talking to a companion.

If the OP is using AA miles for instance, I actually would recommend going for F on that route, the extra space and the ex-HND catered meals are quite good, and almost always there is 2 F award seats available

And hold on OP, i'm trying to get some cabin/seat pics uploaded, photos speak better than words ^
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Now I am confused as to which one I should book with my British Airways Avios for 20k points.

It will be either :

NRT- HKG- Flight 509 leaving at 9:10A.M showing A333 (there is another flight in the late afternoon but don't want it (flight 521 on A333)
Which one most likely would have the NICE new Biz class seats?

OR

HND - HKG - Flight 543 leaving at 10:45 AM showing the 747
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:56 am

Here OP, here's a batch of some cabin/seat pics I've got, I haven't done the newest regional version yet so I don't have those.
Hmm, we should put this on the FAQ ^

Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-400 Business Class Cabin

Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-400 Business Class Seat

Cathay Pacific Airbus 330-300 90's Version Regional Business Class

Cathay Pacific Airbus 330-300 2000's Version Regional Business Class

Cathay Pacific Airbus 330-300 "Cirrus" Long Haul Business Class

Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:02 am

Now I am confused as to which one I should book with my British Airways Avios for 20k points.

It will be either :

NRT- HKG- Flight 509 leaving at 9:10A.M showing A333 (there is another flight in the late afternoon but don't want it (flight 521 on A333)
Which one most likely would have the NICE new Biz class seats?

OR

HND - HKG - Flight 543 leaving at 10:45 AM showing the 747
OP, if you are travelling in Nov 2014, I wouldn't really book this far out ahead unless you are BA Gold and can cancel for free.
CX is horrible when it comes to regional switcher-oos so whatever your CX 509 NRT is showing now, you can put a bet chances are it isn't going to be that equipment.

HND is more reliable for long haul equipment except all the rumors say the 744 will be retired by the time you fly.
So even though CX wants to fly long haul equipment on that, do they have the extra plane to rotate for a HND turn.

Did the photos help at the very least?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
OP, if you are travelling in Nov 2014, I wouldn't really book this far out ahead unless you are BA Gold and can cancel for free.
CX is horrible when it comes to regional switcher-oos so whatever your CX 509 NRT is showing now, you can put a bet chances are it isn't going to be that equipment.

HND is more reliable for long haul equipment except all the rumors say the 744 will be retired by the time you fly.
So even though CX wants to fly long haul equipment on that, do they have the extra plane to rotate for a HND turn.

Did the photos help at the very least?
Yes, thank you for the photos. I love the new A330-300 but , gosh, not sure what will happen in the future.

So if the 747 will be retired, wouldn't CX substitute for another aircraft or just cancel the flight alltogether? And if it will be cancelled, would I be placed on the NRT route even if on an awards ticket from UA?

When I booked for my sister on ANA 10 months ago, it was on an old aircraft. She is leaving this coming week and ANA changed it to the new 787 for her.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:20 am

Yes, thank you for the photos. I love the new A330-300 but , gosh, not sure what will happen in the future.

So if the 747 will be retired, wouldn't CX substitute for another aircraft or just cancel the flight alltogether? And if it will be cancelled, would I be placed on the NRT route even if on an awards ticket from UA?

When I booked for my sister on ANA 10 months ago, it was not an old aircraft. She is leaving this coming week and ANA changed it to the new 787 for her.
Oh ya, the "Cirrus" J is good
They will 100 % substitute a different aircraft.
There is no way in hell a HND flight would be cancelled, the slots are hard to get enough as is and J tends to sell I think on that route.
The problem you fall is similar to the NRT flight is, what is it gonna be on.
There is no way to exactly to figure out on CX regionals, esp. 11 months out.
Trying searching for the HKG-SIN thread on the CX forum if you don't believe me.

If you must book now, I would say do HND, 1) I hate the haul out to NRT unless you were out in Chiba already, 9:15am NRT dep means waking up early if you are in Tokyo the night prior 2) Long Haul equipment probability is higher at HND.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.